The Student Room Group

Access to HE - affect of coronavirus

Hey all, Im currently studying an Access to HE in science course, going to uni in september 2020. The course is mainly assignments. CAVA (the awarding body) hasn't released any info on whats happening with the course since the government announced schools closing, so Im wondering if anyone has any ideas on whats most likely to happen? A few of my classmates are set on thinking we'll still do the assignments and submit them via email and teach ourselves the content via powerpoints on our schools moodle page? I really hope thats not it.

New update from Access to HE re. calculated grades: https://www.accesstohe.ac.uk/news-events/support-and-information-covid-19/access-to-he-students
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I’m also doing an access to HE in science with the exam board OCN and from what are teachers have told us it’s business as usual, we will submit our work online on the moodle and also tests will be on the moodle, for the tests we are given an extra hour to photo copy any written work for the test and submit 3 hours after the test starts (this is to stop cheating) and our presentation work has a been cancelled and instead a second written report will replace it.

As to the issue of classes, I’m not sure it seems different teachers are given different answers, some saying online classes through conference calls and others are saying to just do the work form home ourselves, hopefully this will get cleared up soon
We got closed yesterday. Our access to science is continuing with no changes to assignments (dates still apply to what we have). We are set up on Microsoft Teams so everybody is in contact and they have calendar scheduled hour long meetings for everybody to log in at a set time. This is basically so they can check we are all ok or have any questions. Content delivery is via our portal where they put PowerPoint presentations and that’s basically it. We have an exam in Chemistry which we have been told will be done online between set times and then dropboxed within a set time limit afterwards. This will rely solely on student integrity. The whole thing is a little annoying but it’s out of the control of everyone. Some people are having a meltdown about it as they are worried they won’t now learn anything or understand stuff, which will affect results, but we’re that close now I don’t see it personally being an issue for me.
Reply 3
My college is closed and our lecturers are going to teach us through Google Meet. Our written assignments are having the same deadline. I have no idea what's going to happen with exams! I'm so nervous. Hopefully going to Cardiff University to study optometry.
Reply 4
Looks like no one will be going to university September.

I suspect admissions (best case) will be pushed to January. But could well be next year.
Original post by adam271

I suspect admissions (best case) will be pushed to January. But could well be next year.

Why? Have to disagree
Reply 6
Original post by adam271

i had an interview with kent this morning and i asked and they said atm everything is still in place for next year to start as normal and its unlikely thatll change
I'm in the same boat as you guys. Access course continuing via google. I really can't study at the mo. as the enormity of what is happening is just too much. I guess we are all different and cope in different ways but for me, I can't even read as a distraction from all this! Being physically active and watching the news is the best I can do at the minute. Perhaps this will change. Either way, I'd hate to think my place in uni is decided under these circumstances. Having gained distinctions so far in all my subjects - I've actually got more than enough grades (points) - but need to complete final assignments for the points or credits to be worth anything. I'm now thinking I've hit a brick wall. Under these conditions, it feels so harsh to be loaded with work. Perhaps more options or choices are needed for people. Obviously when the dust settles as peoples' lives and the stability of the country comes first!
This is actually helpful writing this as I feel selfish explaining my feelings to others (non-students) as everyone has real concerns at the mo. but here I figure we share basically similar concerns.
Reply 8
Original post by BeanBeliever
I'm in the same boat as you guys. Access course continuing via google. I really can't study at the mo. as the enormity of what is happening is just too much. I guess we are all different and cope in different ways but for me, I can't even read as a distraction from all this! Being physically active and watching the news is the best I can do at the minute. Perhaps this will change. Either way, I'd hate to think my place in uni is decided under these circumstances. Having gained distinctions so far in all my subjects - I've actually got more than enough grades (points) - but need to complete final assignments for the points or credits to be worth anything. I'm now thinking I've hit a brick wall. Under these conditions, it feels so harsh to be loaded with work. Perhaps more options or choices are needed for people. Obviously when the dust settles as peoples' lives and the stability of the country comes first!
This is actually helpful writing this as I feel selfish explaining my feelings to others (non-students) as everyone has real concerns at the mo. but here I figure we share basically similar concerns.

i feel exactly the same. i have ADHD anyway so its already difficult for me but ive been trying so hard this year because i really wanna go to uni and now i cant even put to pen to paper i feel like its all been a waste of time
It will be ok peeps. Not long to go now. You’ve got this. Don’t let the hard work go to waste. It’s a really intense and difficult course and you’ve done well to get to this stage.
I have read some guidance on my exam boards website which says they are in discussion with UCAS in respect of Access Courses and how we may be disadvantaged and a FAQ will be produced shortly. I will keep people updated on that front.
Original post by dannyfen
i feel exactly the same. i have ADHD anyway so its already difficult for me but ive been trying so hard this year because i really wanna go to uni and now i cant even put to pen to paper i feel like its all been a waste of time

Hopefully, as the situation settles and clarity is restored I'm hoping there will be a fairer solution. I would love a predicted grades option personally, however, others may feel this hinders them. Complex. Regardless, studying at the mo. feels like being asked to relax while your home burns down around you. Granted, I have mental health difficulties and perhaps like yourself, I am very sensitive to the current level of anxiety. I struggle to cope at times when everything is so-called "normal" so at the mo it impossible. Cant' even follow a TV program. Ironically, my current assignment is humans against disease - It all feels so surreal at the moment. Thanks for replying to my post dannyfen. I'm sorry you are in the same situation as myself but it's good to know we are not alone. Before your post I was of the mind that other students were 'cracking on' and I was alone with this mindset. Cheers and good luck with your future. I'm sure we will both get to uni as it would be so unfair to penalise us based on our ability to self-soothe and concentrate enough to write assignments during such extreme circumstances.
Original post by dannyfen
i had an interview with kent this morning and i asked and they said atm everything is still in place for next year to start as normal and its unlikely thatll change

They are going on a week to week basis at the moment. They may well be saying that the plan is still to open for September but seems at the moment as very unlikely. Just like the premier league saying they are closed until the end of April but in reality they will extend it or played behind closed doors.
But if you read what the government has said and the time scale of this (up to 18 months).
It is highly unlikely university admissions will open for September. It is a huge germ fest.

If social distancing is still in place in September there is no way universities will open.
Government policy overides what universities want.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Kristian463
It will be ok peeps. Not long to go now. You’ve got this. Don’t let the hard work go to waste. It’s a really intense and difficult course and you’ve done well to get to this stage.
I have read some guidance on my exam boards website which says they are in discussion with UCAS in respect of Access Courses and how we may be disadvantaged and a FAQ will be produced shortly. I will keep people updated on that front.

Thank you. This is positive news. Hopefully, a workable and suitable solution will become available for us all.
Reply 13
My college sent out an email to students suggesting they feel it is likely an element of teacher assessment will be used to award qualifications (before the news officially broke regarding awarding GCSE and A level grades), however it is difficult to say how it will affect Access courses. No word yet from our exam board, and in the mean time we have been told to crack on with our assignments and use the available resources to teach ourselves.Personally, I expect we will all just have to carry on and make do however we can. This being said, I will be happy if Access students are awarded qualifications in the same manner as GCSE/A level students. It's also not in anyone's best interests to penalise us or put us at a disadvantage due to this pandemic, so I would hope that this disruption is taken into account and that assignments are marked with this in mind.
One of my teachers is talking about putting exams online as well. It makes more sense to me to just make the rest of the course entirely coursework.

Original post by adam271
They are going on a week to week basis at the moment. They may well be saying that the plan is still to open for September but seems at the moment as very unlikely. Just like the premier league saying they are closed until the end of April but in reality they will extend it or played behind closed doors.
But if you read what the government has said and the time scale of this (up to 18 months).
It is highly unlikely university admissions will open for September. It is a huge germ fest.

If social distancing is still in place in September there is no way universities will open.
Government policy overides what universities want.

Lectures can easily be put online though, many uni students don't even show up to lectures, they do it all online. Of course there will be problems with placements and practical stuff depending on your course. I don't think the start dates will be delayed (at least not too long) more likely the delivery of the course could be adapted. But who knows at this rate, the world could look very different come September.
Original post by BeanBeliever
I would love a predicted grades option

Me too, 100%.
Original post by Giff Mary
Me too, 100%.

It's a nightmare trying to produce an assignment with all that is happening. I'm really not good at quieting my mind enough to study during these unfolding events. Perhaps some people can - we are all different - but I am more than a little concerned that many of us may be penalised for matters outside our control.
I'm currently studying Access To HE - Healthcare. Currently i'm in a situation where I technically do not have to complete the course since universities are changing all conditional offers to unconditional offers. (From what I can tell they are I know Edge Hill and LJMU have) so check with your universities and access providers. :smile:
Original post by ConnorMLJ
I'm currently studying Access To HE - Healthcare. Currently i'm in a situation where I technically do not have to complete the course since universities are changing all conditional offers to unconditional offers. (From what I can tell they are I know Edge Hill and LJMU have) so check with your universities and access providers. :smile:

Interesting. I guess information will be arriving soon. There's so much happening at the moment, and of course, people's health takes priority. Very surreal times we have entered. :smile:
Original post by ConnorMLJ

Do you have a source on this? I'm pretty sure this is not the case. The offers aren't changing - the way students get their grade and meet the offers is what is changing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending