The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

LSE accommodation Q and A

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jumpman123
College hall is good for social life

Thank you for your reply! Is it true that there are only UCL students there or can I hope to find some LSE students too?
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
I want to book accommodation, but seem to need some log in. Have you guys received that yet, and if I haven’t, should I email them?

I firmed LSE this Monday.
Original post by saaad32
Thank you for your reply! Is it true that there are only UCL students there or can I hope to find some LSE students too?

No there has to be a fair allocation of each college at a UoL hall, it says on their website
No there has to be a fair allocation of each college at a UoL hall, it says on their website

Yes, and a fair allocation means by definition that those halls will be UCL dominated since UCL is proportionally a much bigger uni than LSE and others.

UCL: 40,000 students
LSE: around 10,000

You do the math.
Original post by Connor27
Yes, and a fair allocation means by definition that those halls will be UCL dominated since UCL is proportionally a much bigger uni than LSE and others.

UCL: 40,000 students
LSE: around 10,000

You do the math.

Yikes and most LSE is postgraduate.
Well at least your social life will be better due to it being majority first year and other unis outside LSE.
Yikes and most LSE is postgraduate.
Well at least your social life will be better due to it being majority first year and other unis outside LSE.

I’m a second year at LSE - just here to give advice :smile:
I’m a second year at LSE - just here to give advice :smile:

Hey! Will living in an intercollegiate hall necessarily alienate me from most LSE students, even though it may be better with respect to social life? I guess in the end I'm just asking whether giving up LSE halls and choosing intercollegiate halls is worth it when everything is taken into account.
Original post by saaad32
Hey! Will living in an intercollegiate hall necessarily alienate me from most LSE students, even though it may be better with respect to social life? I guess in the end I'm just asking whether giving up LSE halls and choosing intercollegiate halls is worth it when everything is taken into account.

Personally I would opt for an LSE hall which I believe to be better for social life as well. Ultimately though the decision is yours.
Original post by saaad32

If you want a good social life, then choose one of the four LSE catered halls - Bankside, Rosebery, Carr-Saunders or Passfield - and you will be absolutely fine.

Avoid intercollegiate halls. Everybody I know who lived in one in first year regretted it (with the exception of one person who was very happy at Garden Halls)
Reply 89
Hi! I was wondering what the catered food is like because I'm debating going catered or non catered. Also how is the social life at Urbanest, I've heard mixed reviews?
Original post by T2304
Hi! I was wondering what the catered food is like because I'm debating going catered or non catered. Also how is the social life at Urbanest, I've heard mixed reviews?

The catered food is fine - not incredible, not terrible. The huge benefit of being in a catered hall is the better social life - everyone mixes everyday at mealtimes & there are communal areas whereas in self-catered halls everyone’s in self-contained flats.

Urbanest is probably the worst hall there is for social life. Avoid at all costs in first year.
Reply 91
Original post by LeapingLucy
The catered food is fine - not incredible, not terrible. The huge benefit of being in a catered hall is the better social life - everyone mixes everyday at mealtimes & there are communal areas whereas in self-catered halls everyone’s in self-contained flats.

Urbanest is probably the worst hall there is for social life. Avoid at all costs in first year.

Thanks so much. Is Bankside good for social life? I've heard from loads of people that it has a really good community.
Original post by T2304
Thanks so much. Is Bankside good for social life? I've heard from loads of people that it has a really good community.

I think if you want an ensuite it's your only option out of the social halls, isn't it?
Reply 93
Original post by saaad32
I think if you want an ensuite it's your only option out of the social halls, isn't it?

I think for ensuite there are a few more halls-Im not too sure? So I was wondering which one is more fun/friendly out of the halls that offer ensuite!
(edited 4 years ago)

Second this
AVOID
Talking about Passfield/Carr-Saunders, I paid just about £220 a week for a single room (no roommate). If you shared with one or two other people it could be significantly cheaper. And no, these are undergrad only halls.

Foodwise, these halls are catered, so cooked dinners are provided 6 nights of the week (Sunday-Friday), and on Saturday a brunch is provided.

So Sunday-Friday, I would have cereal for breakfast, and then for lunch I would either buy a sandwich near campus or make one in halls and take it with me. (And then eat dinner in halls)

On Saturdays, the brunch would serve for breakfast and lunch and then my friends and I would normally order a takeaway for dinner - Dominos and Deliveroo aren't that expensive if you're paying as a group.

Hi,

I know this is a very old thread but I would like to ask somethings about the kitchens in Passfield.

I would like to cook my lunch as I don't like sandwiches etc (Gluten intolerant and don't like gluten free bread) and would prefer making hot meals that I can warm up. Do you think that it'll be inconvenient to use the communal kitchen or if it'll be hard to actually make things
Rosebery is honestly fine - it was an excellent hall when I was in first year last year. The communal area is like a conservatory which you can use to also chill outside in summer which is great. Also BIG BIG advantage of Rosebery over Bankside: shorter commute to campus.

Bankside, yes it’s great and has a good reputation as a hall but it’s the furthest one from campus by quite some margin (it’s in south London for starters.)

At Passfield or Rosebery you’d have a sound 25 minute walk to campus which is easy. At Bankside it’s more like 35-40 minutes.

Something to consider especially when it’s winter or if it’s raining badly etc.

I was considering Rosebery as well but I know they will have construction work and I think I will go mad if all I do is keep hearing drilling which is such a shame!

I was planning on studying more in my room as much as I can as I do like to talk out loud when reading etc so hopefully that is possible
Original post by reinaadira
I was considering Rosebery as well but I know they will have construction work and I think I will go mad if all I do is keep hearing drilling which is such a shame!

I was planning on studying more in my room as much as I can as I do like to talk out loud when reading etc so hopefully that is possible

Studying in your room shouldn’t be a problem at all at Rosebery :smile:
Studying in your room shouldn’t be a problem at all at Rosebery :smile:

I think I am just worried about the construction noise, I've heard it has been going on for a while but I am not sure how disruptive it exactly is. All I fear is that when I open up my books and start to study, I hear long drilling which has been the case at my school so far for us to never see the building (a levels cancelled)
Original post by reinaadira
I think I am just worried about the construction noise, I've heard it has been going on for a while but I am not sure how disruptive it exactly is. All I fear is that when I open up my books and start to study, I hear long drilling which has been the case at my school so far for us to never see the building (a levels cancelled)

Well I guess it depends what time you will be studying. The builders obviously don’t work 24/7 so if you’ll be studying in the evenings after dinner they won’t even be there. If you’re talking about studying during the day then yes.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending