The Student Room Group

What's happening with Year 12's?

Scroll to see replies

Its not fair how are we going to have 'fair' exams and what are we gonna do about the missing content cause i for one doubt I'll understand it on my own and i know from GCSE predicted grades are way worse for so many people
petition for next year exams to either be modified into less content or cancelled aswell
http://chng.it/bjb2TGff2X
Reply 62
I really hope not, they were our first ever exams in an A Level situation it's not representative. I have no clue what to do anymore.
Reply 63
There is no clarity from the schools because the specifics of how the grades will be assessed has not yet been given. However, we do know that teachers will be asked to predict what grades their students would have achieved if they had sat the real exams. To do this they will have to provide solid evidence. This suggests that the schools will be taking mock results more seriously. It therefore makes sense to continue studying. On the plus side you will have longer to study than you would have done if you sat your real exams.
Original post by sm0009
It's incredibly stressful and worrying. There's been no clarity from my school or anything/ anyone. Not sure what's going to happen..
Original post by sm0009
Predicted grades from where? From the first set of mocks?

Surely doing mocks in August/ September would be harmful on Personal Statements and UCAS prep - there simply wouldn't be enough time. If school resumes in September, there's only a 3 week window to mark mocks and submit Oxbridge applications (October 15th). That's impossible for state schools.

No - your school should be setting and marking work over the coming months. If they are not then ask why. I already have plenty of evidence from my students as to roughly where they are. We have no idea as yet when school will restart so you should be working as hard as if you were in school.
I’m jus thinking about uni. Cos even if we miss content we won’t be fully prepared?
Original post by Ginger_J
Its not fair how are we going to have 'fair' exams and what are we gonna do about the missing content cause i for one doubt I'll understand it on my own and i know from GCSE predicted grades are way worse for so many people

Sorry, why are you missing content? Isn't your school setting you work to do?
Original post by Lilllyyyy3
I’m jus thinking about uni. Cos even if we miss content we won’t be fully prepared?

same here.
Original post by viliamreis297
same here.

Like I’m already failing in my mocks so my predicted grades are awful😭
Original post by Lilllyyyy3
Like I’m already failing in my mocks so my predicted grades are awful😭

i have not even sat my mocks there where meant to be in june. well were all screwed from now.on. hope though everything will be ok.
Original post by JXC_123
Literally, i felt so angry and depressed over the news, i literally feel demotivated, like theyre helping the yr11’s and yr13’s, what about us?! Yr12’s were gonna choose uni or apprenticeships and stuff. I planned my summer for hsbc work experience and summer schools. Well thats backfired, and now im gonna cry over the missed opportunity because they only do it for yr12’s!! I wont be able to do it this yr or next yr!! Opportunity is gone! I was getting so excited.... now how do i feel? Like everythings just going downhill and i wont be given help or opportunity to do it next yr.... and for gods sake yr11’s and yr13’s you get to resit in summer 2021 If youre not happy with the grades you got from your teachers (who’ll most likely be biased with your grades) what more do you want?!! Yr12’s are having a hard time the most from my POV okay?!! Im crying okay?! I was so excited for summer school in Uni and doing work experience or something... its all gone... its all gone...

I 100% agree with this and understand how you feel, I'm genuinely worried my chance at a good university has gone because the summer schools, lectures, work experience ect I had in place have pretty much all been cancelled :frown: it's not like we can even look around universities anyway because taster days and open days are all cancelled..how are we expected to make good decisions about university now :frown:
Original post by Muttley79
Sorry, why are you missing content? Isn't your school setting you work to do?

There is a difference between setting work and being taught it. Especially for the harder STEM and humanities A-Levels.
Not to mention, our personal statements are going to look like crap.
Nobody is giving a clear response. Will they remove some content to get us ready in time for A-Levels? Or will they extend the deadline? Everything is rather ambiguous right now.
At my college our end of year exams have been pushed to the autumn term (September/ October) so I’m really confused as to my UCAS grades too.I’m really concerned about our a level results too as we may have to teach ourselves 4 months worth of content ://// x
Original post by 5hyl33n
There is a difference between setting work and being taught it. Especially for the harder STEM and humanities A-Levels.
Not to mention, our personal statements are going to look like crap.
Nobody is giving a clear response. Will they remove some content to get us ready in time for A-Levels? Or will they extend the deadline? Everything is rather ambiguous right now.

No - you should be getting online lessons to support you. There are lots of platforms for this ... no need to remove content.
Original post by Banana-bread
I'm retaking my maths GCSE for the third time (i suck at it) and my maths tutors at college are hopeless and lost my papers, and i couldn't do one because of my work experience placement and they've also introduced a written exam in my course which was new this year and we haven't done any mocks on it soooo i'm screwed haha

Tv
No - you should be getting online lessons to support you. There are lots of platforms for this ... no need to remove content.

To the best of my knowledge, (in my school) we’re just being set textbook work, and can email the teachers if needed - no online lessons
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by laurawatt
To the best of my knowledge, we’re just being set textbook work, and can email the teachers if needed - no online lessons

same my teachers said we need to learn on our own. theyll just give us worksheets. and take our attendence mark. that it
Original post by laurawatt
To the best of my knowledge, we’re just being set textbook work, and can email the teachers if needed - no online lessons

Ask why they can't do online webinars or similar. That's what some schools are doing :smile:
Reply 78
When exam based subjects aren't examined.
Original post by viliamreis297
same my teachers said we need to learn on our own. theyll just give us worksheets. and take our attendence mark. that it

All the best for it :hugs:
Ask why they can't do online webinars or similar. That's what some schools are doing :smile:

Most have young kids so I don’t want to add more pressure onto them
it should be okay, and our class can always set up online meetings to go through the work I guess :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest