The Student Room Group

Books/ Advice to help achieve 9s in GCSE

Hey,
I in Year 10 and am aiming for all 9s in my GCSEs. If you have previously gotten 9s or know someone who has gotten 9s or have found certain books helpful, could you please tell me what books (revision and workbooks) to use for the following subjects:
1. AQA Separate Science
2. Edexcel Maths Higher
3. AQA English Literature (Frankenstein, An Inspector Calls, Romeo and Juliet)
4. AQA Psychology
5. CIE Economics
6. Edexcel History (Crime and Punishment, Elizabethan England, Cold War, Nazism and Weimar Republic)
7. CIE Computer Science
8. AQA English Language
Any help will be valued.
Thank you!
Hi,
I would reccomend using CGP books. For me they are an absolute life saver! If you just memorize the book your bound to get all 9's. They have textbooks, revision guids, workbooks, flash cards, etc.
Hope this advice helps...
Reply 2
For sciences, I used the CGP revision guides. They are cheap and consise.
For English, I watched MrBruff on YouTube
For Maths, we had a Mathswatch account from school.
Just as the people above have mentioned, cgp is very useful.
I also condensed all the information about a certain topic onto flashcards and note pages. That way, it was very easy to learn. I suggest you do this by looking at your exam specification. (Especially with sciences)
For maths, it’s all about practice. Make notes on how to carry out a certain topic and then practice it until you can do any question. Questions are very easily accessible on the internet.
English, like maths, is just a matter of practice. Especially English language. Always work upon the feedback your teacher gives you and use it in the long run. Also MrBruff on YouTube is amazing, definitely check his channel out for English.
And finally, just practice a lot. When it comes to exams, it’s essential you nail the exam technique in pretty much every subject. Good luck and I hope I helped ☺️
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Allera
Hi,
I would reccomend using CGP books. For me they are an absolute life saver! If you just memorize the book your bound to get all 9's. They have textbooks, revision guids, workbooks, flash cards, etc.
Hope this advice helps...

Thank you so much for ur reply. I already have CGP for English lit. I am not a huge fan since they are not very in-depth. However, I will try them for other subjects.
Reply 5
Original post by Oluwadamilooolaa
Just as the people above have mentioned, cgp is very useful.
I also condensed all the information about a certain topic onto flashcards and note pages. That way, it was very easy to learn. I suggest you do this by looking at your exam specification. (Especially with sciences)
For maths, it’s all about practice. Make notes on how to carry out a certain topic and then practice it until you can do any question. Questions are very easily accessible on the internet.
English, like maths, is just a matter of practice. Especially English language. Always work upon the feedback your teacher gives you and use it in the long run. Also MrBruff on YouTube is amazing, definitely check his channel out for English.
And finally, just practice a lot. When it comes to exams, it’s essential you nail the exam technique in pretty much every subject. Good luck and I hope I helped ☺️

Thanks, your reply was very useful!
I like a YouTuber called Schofield Shakespeare. he has deep analysis for a lot of the literature topics.
But is CGP enough??
Reply 6
Original post by JICMB77
For sciences, I used the CGP revision guides. They are cheap and consise.
For English, I watched MrBruff on YouTube
For Maths, we had a Mathswatch account from school.

Do u recommend any other textbooks or workbooks?
Original post by Camembart
Thanks, your reply was very useful!
I like a YouTuber called Schofield Shakespeare. he has deep analysis for a lot of the literature topics.
But is CGP enough??

You’re welcome and yes! Cgp is enough. Use the spec to see what you need to know and get that information from the cgp textbook :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by Oluwadamilooolaa
You’re welcome and yes! Cgp is enough. Use the spec to see what you need to know and get that information from the cgp textbook :smile:

Thanks!!
Reply 9
Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending