The Student Room Group
Original post by cherlloydfan1
So I just got a job working night shifts as a customer assistant at Tesco's. I'll be working 4 nights a week from 10 pm - 7 am. Will I just be stacking the shelves? How much will I be paid?

I feel like if you've got the job, both of these are things you should be aware of. Did the job listing not specify what you'd be doing and how much you'd be paid? Did you not ask in the interview? Even if it's just a job at Tesco, I wouldn't be accepting any job if I weren't aware of at least what I'm doing and what it'll pay.
Aren’t you aware that there’s a pandemic? Tesco obviously have a lot of staff who will be self isolating and in order to get the amount of staff to keep the supermarket open they are recruiting and replacing these staff very quickly. Also, many people who are unemployed due to the virus are taking what they can get. These aren’t normal circumstances in which you would typically apply for a job
So I just got a job working night shifts as a customer assistant at Tesco's. I'll be working 4 nights a week from 10 pm - 7 am. Will I just be stacking the shelves? How much will I be paid?

If it isn’t a 24 hour Tesco it is likely that your main job will be stacking shelves, it was for me. I used to get paid around £10 an hour
yes I'm aware that there's a pandemic and that's why I applied cos they are needing more staff now and I need the money. The guy said that I will be stacking shelves and serving customers cos it's a 24 hr tescos and it around 11 pounds an hour.
yes I'm aware that there's a pandemic and that's why I applied cos they are needing more staff now and I need the money. The guy said that I will be stacking shelves and serving customers cos it's a 24 hr tescos and it around 11 pounds an hour.

Sorry my reply was to Acsel, I was explaining why you weren’t aware of what your job might entail
Original post by English2001
Aren’t you aware that there’s a pandemic? Tesco obviously have a lot of staff who will be self isolating and in order to get the amount of staff to keep the supermarket open they are recruiting and replacing these staff very quickly. Also, many people who are unemployed due to the virus are taking what they can get. These aren’t normal circumstances in which you would typically apply for a job

Yes I'm well aware. That does not change the fact that you should still be asking, to ensure it's a job you are able to do. Tesco may be desperate for staff right now, but it's not like their job listings have been reduced to "We need staff". It still needs to be made clear what duties the job involves and what the requirements are. One could argue that if you're desperate for the money you'll take any job you can get and be less concerned with the exact wage. But the flip side of that is you need to know what you'll get paid in order to know whether the job will actually solve your money shortage.

Common sense does not go out the window just because there's a pandemic. It may not be normal circumstances, but you should still be completely aware of what you'll be doing and what you'll be paid. If anything this applies now more than ever, to avoid wasting time and actually get people in stores. The last thing these stores need is to go through the process of onboarding someone, just to find they're immediately going to quit or are not suitable for the job. And the fact OP was able to answer their own question makes it unclear why they had to make the thread in the first place.
I got the same job at my local Tesco. 10pm-7am, 4 nights a week. I’m on non grocery so I’m on the homeware isles. I had a quick trial. Basically it’s just pulling your cages to your isles and stacking/replenishing your stock and helping customers if they have questions. They said I’d also be trained on tills and online grocery picker. It’s good money on nights I believe. Well done mate on getting the job. It’s much harder to get ANY job during all of this with the mass unemployment going on. I took the job as I was made redundant. Tesco is a huge company so even temporarily roles look good on your CV.
So I just got a job working night shifts as a customer assistant at Tesco's. I'll be working 4 nights a week from 10 pm - 7 am. I want to know what it's like if anyone else has worked there?

If it's not a 24 hour store, then you will probably be stacking shelves. From what I gather, different staff have different areas/departments.
If it is a 24 hour one, you could either be stacking shelves, serving on tills or on the self service. From what I've seen from when I've been in a local Tesco after finishing work at 10pm they only have the odd one (maybe 2) tills on. And it's mainly self service.

Latest

Trending

Trending