The Student Room Group

title changed: BTECS are CANCELLED!!! (PLEASE read)

Scroll to see replies

Make sure you check the uni websites if you are moving on to it as i checked and they are putting in unconditional offers for some people with certain criteria
Original post by 1st superstar
If anything it should be the A-level and GCSE students who were meant to sit their exams this year but didn't who should be classified as "unqualified idiots" (using your words). This year will always be remembered as the year whereby no official A-level or GCSE exams were sat and I hope that employers take this into account when hiring these groups of people (if I was an employer I would certainly not hire these groups of people (depending on what job I have))

You can use my words if you want. However, OP would be an 'unqualified idiot' if they cheated and suffered the consequences. The A-level and GCSE students aren't in control of their situation so although they may be unqualified, I don't see why they would be idiots.

I'm sure employers will take into account. I'm glad that you will likely never be an employer, because I would expect an employer to hire based on the skills an applicant can bring to the business (which can be assesed in many ways), not the grades they were given by somebody else due to a situation out of their hands.

However, as BTECS have now been cancelled, you have one less reason to complain about people having to do work whilst others don't :lol: Please never sign on.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Pharyngotympanic
You can use my words if you want. However, OP would be an 'unqualified idiot' if they cheated and suffered the consequences. The A-level and GCSE students aren't in control of their situation so although they may be unqualified, I don't see why they would be idiots.

I'm sure employers will take into account. I'm glad that you will likely never be an employer, because I would expect an employer to hire based on the skills an applicant can bring to the business (which can be assesed in many ways), not the grades they were given by somebody else due to a situation out of their hands.

Agreed Tbh I would hire based on skill but if needed narrow down the applicants then these groups of people will be the first ones to be turned away (but it depends)
Agreed Tbh I would hire based on skill but if needed narrow down the applicants then these groups of people will be the first ones to be turned away (but it depends)

Yeah...don't worry, you'll never end up in the position of making these decisions.
Yeah...don't worry, you'll never end up in the position of making these decisions.

I know I won't lol
What the actual ****? Why? We can still finish our work! WHY **** THIS
This whole situation is a big mindf*** for me. As much as i would enjoy not doing work, i would rather finish it instead of getting predicted grades. The course i do is a fairly new course and our teachers literally told us they gave us low predictions as we are the second year to do the course so they don't have much data to go on. Also i think they predict low grades so they can say at the end of the year their predictions were right if anyone does **** and if we do good they can say they did better than we thought. I did see an interview of Gavin Williamson were he said there will be an appeals proccess which will be interesting.
Reply 47
Original post by YasudaSayo
1- everyone knows that predicted grades are usually on the more generous side, so having btec students excluded from this is unfair
2- our peers can just relax and have a 6-7 month holiday whilst we have to keep working
3- it is significantly more difficult to complete work to a high level with just a powerpoint and emailing your teacher, plus it's demotivating knowing everyone else is doing nothing, plus its distracting with the world going through such a crisis atm, and also many people have to do more hours at work since we all mostly work in retail.

Exactly this!!! I'm doing an Access course. I'm now at home with 2 young children all day every day and a house to run with a husband in isolation AND having to still get endless assignments done with the help of a PowerPoint and an email address of my tutor. Oh and add the sheer fear of the damn virus on top... with added health anxiety thrown in.

It's so overwhelming that I'm considering giving up on the rest of the course and the idea of going back to uni.
Reply 48
Wait what if I took my exams in Jan and I still have assignment left to do???

However, as BTECS have now been cancelled, you have one less reason to complain about people having to do work whilst others don't :lol: Please never sign on.

Still gonna complain hope that Y12's get special consideration next year (even if just means lowering grade boundaries). Year 13's get to "relax" meanwhile I've gotta self-teach myself a lot of content... But oh well
Still gonna complain hope that Y12's get special consideration next year (even if just means lowering grade boundaries). Year 13's get to "relax" meanwhile I've gotta self-teach myself a lot of content... But oh well

Well take this as a much needed character building opportunity.
I don’t think BTECs are actually cancelled entirely, they’ve stopped exams but you can still do your coursework to get an overall grade if your in year 12?
Reply 52
Original post by Hazelly
I don’t think BTECs are actually cancelled entirely, they’ve stopped exams but you can still do your coursework to get an overall grade if your in year 12?

What if you’re in year 13? I’m still getting set coursework lol, I don’t think it’s cancelled, op has just misunderstood
@YasudaSayo This is whag confuses me. Im assuming you were last set work before any of this news came out and haven't been updated since then. Since this info came out on friday im waiting till next week for teachers to update us on the matter. As much as i would line to do no work i feel like you are right.
Original post by YasudaSayo
What if you’re in year 13? I’m still getting set coursework lol, I don’t think it’s cancelled, op has just misunderstood

I’m also getting set coursework as y12, I agree with you.
@Hazelly When was the last time your teacher set u work?
Original post by geeko123456
@Hazelly When was the last time your teacher set u work?

Last Monday and I'm getting another assignment set this Monday.
@hazelly The only thing i'm thinking now is that most people were set work before the announcements came. maybe teachers will wait till next week to update us if we gotta do work or not.
You BTECs need to calm the hell down, you don’t work HALF as hard as actual A-Level students.
Original post by geeko123456
@hazelly The only thing i'm thinking now is that most people were set work before the announcements came. maybe teachers will wait till next week to update us if we gotta do work or not.

I'm not sure, I'm just going to keep up with the assignments and see what happens.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending