The Student Room Group

Applying to uni late?

Currently doing a BTEC Computing Lvl 3 extended diploma which has been incredibly badly managed - where we went through 4 teachers in the first year. Still have 5 units to hand in in the next three months - and still haven't been advised on whether Covid-19 will affect the course.

Originally I planned to do an apprenticeship, but I've opened up more about doing Uni - but I've completely missed the application window (at least, to have the best chance of getting in) and haven't applied to anything yet.

I have no clue what to do though, as even though the course is terrible currently, computing is really the only thing I actually want to do or think I'm moderately good at. My predicted grades are also at MMM, and I'm struggling with the current work - so I doubt I'll get more than this - but most unis seem to be looking for DMM at least.

Would Covid-19 possibly mean the requirements will be more lax, or will the lax requirements only apply to A-level students?
Original post by constantdisp
Currently doing a BTEC Computing Lvl 3 extended diploma which has been incredibly badly managed - where we went through 4 teachers in the first year. Still have 5 units to hand in in the next three months - and still haven't been advised on whether Covid-19 will affect the course.

Originally I planned to do an apprenticeship, but I've opened up more about doing Uni - but I've completely missed the application window (at least, to have the best chance of getting in) and haven't applied to anything yet.

I have no clue what to do though, as even though the course is terrible currently, computing is really the only thing I actually want to do or think I'm moderately good at. My predicted grades are also at MMM, and I'm struggling with the current work - so I doubt I'll get more than this - but most unis seem to be looking for DMM at least.

Would Covid-19 possibly mean the requirements will be more lax, or will the lax requirements only apply to A-level students?

Firstly, I would contact your college/course provider on Monday to ask exactly how the current situation will affect your course. When you've got these details, this might help you make a more informed decision.

Normally, I'd advise you to look at applying via UCAS Extra- which is aimed at people applying late in the year. Currently, this is still running as normal, so it may be worth contacting unis to ask if they have spaces.

Clearing with achieved grades might be another option in a normal year, but we don't know if clearing will run as normal yet this year.

It's very tricky to advise you at the moment, but keep your eye out for updates and see what happens!

You could also look at a foundation year- these are aimed at people who haven't quite achieved the usual level 3 qualifications required for the course.

It's very tricky to offer advice right now, as everything is so up in the air!
Original post by SarcAndSpark
Firstly, I would contact your college/course provider on Monday to ask exactly how the current situation will affect your course. When you've got these details, this might help you make a more informed decision.

Normally, I'd advise you to look at applying via UCAS Extra- which is aimed at people applying late in the year. Currently, this is still running as normal, so it may be worth contacting unis to ask if they have spaces.

Clearing with achieved grades might be another option in a normal year, but we don't know if clearing will run as normal yet this year.

It's very tricky to advise you at the moment, but keep your eye out for updates and see what happens!

You could also look at a foundation year- these are aimed at people who haven't quite achieved the usual level 3 qualifications required for the course.

It's very tricky to offer advice right now, as everything is so up in the air!

Thanks, I'll take a look at UCAS extra.

Most years there are usually spare spaces in ucas extra and clearing and I think that applies in extra. The big issue with Computer courses as that many require A level Maths and those dont usually require a grade 6 in Maths GCSE although some less competitive universities will accept a grade 4 or 5. I know Kent and Essex do as well as others. As far as your grades are concerned you will need to look around and see who offer DMM or MMM. Often universities will accept dropped grades on results day but it is not guaranteed and nobody can really tell what the position will be this year.. I suspect they might be more lenient and a number of universities are offering unconditionals. As already advised contact your school and university to see what will be available. I think if I was in your shoes I would apply to DMM universities now with 1 MMM. It isnt too late and most universities will look at your claim provided they have spaces. Check ucas extra to see if universities are accepting applications and then go ahead and apply. Normally you would ring the universities but in the current climate admissions might not be there to answer your call. You will also need a personal statement and a reference although again that might prove difficult to get from your school as staff will not be there. @PQ do you know whether universities are accepting applications without references at present or how OP will go about getting one.
(edited 4 years ago)

You don’t need to use Extra. Just apply as normal to 5 choices that are listed as open on UCAS course search.

I would recommend you to contact the University you wish to study. They will guide you properly without much confusions. There may be chances that univ will accept if you are multi-skilled or talented too.
Original post by PQ
You don’t need to use Extra. Just apply as normal to 5 choices that are listed as open on UCAS course search.

Can you answer the other issue I raised. How does he get a reference in the current climate and are universities accepting applications without references in the current climate. My son has told us everything has closed in Penryn Campus so there wont be admissions there. Similar problem to getting reference with schools.
Original post by swanseajack1
Can you answer the other issue I raised. How does he get a reference in the current climate and are universities accepting applications without references in the current climate. My son has told us everything has closed in Penryn Campus so there wont be admissions there. Similar problem to getting reference with schools.

Schools and colleges are still open to teach essential staff’s children.

Admissions can be run remotely - paper UCAS forms got scrapped years ago. There might be some delays due to working out new systems of working and/or staff absence but there’s no reason the OP can’t submit an application as usual. They’ll need to speak to their college about getting the buzzword to get a reference but that’s something that should be easy even for a remote working teacher to put together:yes:
Original post by swanseajack1

Hello all of the University of Exeter Admissions teams are still working as normal (just remotely). Please contact [email protected] to speak to one the of team. Good Luck
I applied for Uni last week. Only picked one course and hopefully i get in but the department were clear in saying that place were still left so applying was okay to do. Check where you wanna go and what department and hopefully figure out from there.

Quick Reply

Latest