The Student Room Group

venn diagrams. Please help me

There are 60 students studying sciences (biology, chemistry and physics).
10 students study Biology, chemistry and physics.
13 students study biology and chemistry.
19 students study biology and physics.
18 students study chemistry and physics.
41 students study chemistry.
30 students study physics.
Reply 1
Are you looking for how to work out how many study only biology?
This might be wrong but I think this is how you do it-
Well you already know that 10 people are doing all 3 subjects so they are in the middle.
13 people are doing chemistry and biology but 10 of them are also doing physics so you do 13-10=3 so that's what you put for that bit.
It says that 19 people are doing biology and physics but again as 10 people are also doing chemistry with it, you do 19-10=9 which is what you put in that part.
Again as 18 people are doing chemistry and physics but 10 of them are also doing biology, you do 18-10=8 which you put for that part.
You know that 41 people as a whole are doing chemistry, so you do 10+3+8=21 and then do 41-21=20. This tells you that 20 people are doing only chemistry.
As you know 30 people are doing physics, you do 10+9+8=27 and then 30-27=3 to get 3 people doing only physics.
Then when you add all the numbers together and do 9+3+10+20+8+3=53. As there are 60 students you do 60-53=7 to get the number of people doing just biology and now you have all the figures and you just have to put the numbers in the Venn diagram
Reply 3
Original post by NotWorthKnowing
Well you already know that 10 people are doing all 3 subjects so they are in the middle.
13 people are doing chemistry and biology but 10 of them are also doing physics so you do 13-10=3 so that's what you put for that bit.
It says that 19 people are doing biology and physics but again as 10 people are also doing chemistry with it, you do 19-10=9 which is what you put in that part.
Again as 18 people are doing chemistry and physics but 10 of them are also doing biology, you do 18-10=8 which you put for that part.
You know that 41 people as a whole are doing chemistry, so you do 10+3+8=21 and then do 41-21=20. This tells you that 20 people are doing only chemistry.
As you know 30 people are doing physics, you do 10+9+8=27 and then 30-27=3 to get 3 people doing only physics.
Then when you add all the numbers together and do 9+3+10+20+8+3=53. As there are 60 students you do 60-53=7 to get the number of people doing just biology and now you have all the figures and you just have to put the numbers in the Venn diagram

This is what I made it too :smile:
Original post by Hazy-G
This is what I made it too :smile:

phew
I'm glad I didn't do it wrong then
Reply 5
Original post by unknownalienn

Yes, you correct! Thank you!
Original post by RB55555
Yes, you correct! Thank you!

You’re welcome 😊
what is the answer
Original post by RB55555
There are 60 students studying sciences (biology, chemistry and physics).
10 students study Biology, chemistry and physics.
13 students study biology and chemistry.
19 students study biology and physics.
18 students study chemistry and physics.
41 students study chemistry.
30 students study physics.

what is the answer
Reply 9
Original post by kwasi afriyie
what is the answer

This thread is a year old and it doesn't even state what the question is (!), but I think there's sufficient working in the posts above for you to complete a Venn diagram :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest