The Student Room Group
Group Work, University of Portsmouth
University of Portsmouth
Portsmouth

Should I be paying for my Halls

With the Uni's closed due to COVID-19, should I be paying my next terms rent for my accommodation. I've moved back home, and in private halls.
Original post by Anonymous
With the Uni's closed due to COVID-19, should I be paying my next terms rent for my accommodation. I've moved back home, and in private halls.

If its possible to still occupy your room, then you have a valid contract and they will require you to pay. Private halls are much stricter than uni ones. You can ask or try not to pay, but I doubt they will be happy.

If the Hall have told you can no longer stay there or you have been told to leave then that is another matter.

Read your licence agreement from when booking.
Group Work, University of Portsmouth
University of Portsmouth
Portsmouth
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
If its possible to still occupy your room, then you have a valid contract and they will require you to pay. Private halls are much stricter than uni ones. You can ask or try not to pay, but I doubt they will be happy.

If the Hall have told you can no longer stay there or you have been told to leave then that is another matter.

Read your licence agreement from when booking.

Thank you, I will check however I find it difficult to understand how they can expect students to Pay for a services they are not using due to government restrictions.
Original post by Anonymous
Thank you, I will check however I find it difficult to understand how they can expect students to Pay for a services they are not using due to government restrictions.

The difference is if you have been ordered to move out, then you are being denied the right to use your room and should expect a refund. If you are still allowed to use your room then you are still liable because its your choice to use your room or not.
In every contract there are the break clause and the clause relating to fire,floods and any other risk not caused by tenants in which case the rent is not payable. The fact that the student hall is open and a student chose to leave in these force majeure ,emergency circumstances is not at all the justification for collecting the rent.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending