The Student Room Group

University Exams Online: Ask your Questions here!

Scroll to see replies

how would a subjecct like economics work?
Original post by Anonymous
how would a subjecct like economics work?
What kinds of things does a university economics exam demand of you?
Original post by 04MR17
What kinds of things does a university economics exam demand of you?

it involves drawing diagrams and solving equations and generally maths questions. It would be hard to do so online???
This thread is kind of useless for STEM subjects.

For subjects like history, philosophy, the solution is obvious.
Original post by Mihaly
This thread is kind of useless for STEM subjects.

For subjects like history, philosophy, the solution is obvious.
Thank you, that means a lot. :h:
Original post by 04MR17
Thank you, that means a lot. :h:

It’s very helpful dude, thanks :smile:
it involves drawing diagrams and solving equations and generally maths questions. It would be hard to do so online???

I emailed one of my lecturers about this a couple of days ago (I also study Economics) since we have a mid-term test in a couple of weeks and she said we might have to write our solutions out on paper (since it's takes really long to write out formulas/equations/calculations on a Word document and it's quicker drawing graphs out by hand) and then scan it and upload it on our VLE (or take a picture of it with your phone and upload it or email if there are difficulties).

Still think it's so stupid tbh but not much we can do about it.
Anyone else have concerns regarding internet reliability for an online exam. I live in a very rural area and my Internet speed is awful. I'm concerned I may not be able to get online the day of my exam. The response I had feom my university wasn't very helpful and ive been struggling with online classes so really concerned abouty exams especially as a 3rd year student
Anyone else have concerns regarding internet reliability for an online exam. I live in a very rural area and my Internet speed is awful. I'm concerned I may not be able to get online the day of my exam. The response I had feom my university wasn't very helpful and ive been struggling with online classes so really concerned abouty exams especially as a 3rd year student
What was the university response?

If you're able to provide evidence of your poor internet you may be able to claim for Extenuating Circumstances (or whatever your Uni's name for that policy is called). But you'd have to have some concrete details of the assessment before doing so
How do open book exams work?
my uni has emailed and said they will be using replacement “assessments” but i am unsure if they will be doing online exams or essay style assignments?
my uni has emailed and said they will be using replacement “assessments” but i am unsure if they will be doing online exams or essay style assignments?

Is that a central university communication? Chances are it will be a mixture of both I imagine. You should be hearing from the module lead by next week about that I suspect. :yy:
Original post by Other_Owl
How do open book exams work?

What course is this for? :smile:
Original post by 04MR17
What course is this for? :smile:

It's a course in the Netherlands but I've never done an online open book exam before. I was just curious how an online exam works.
So today I had my first online assessment (it was a midterm test) and I study economics. The lecturer changed the format to something completely different that all past midterms! I understand it is difficult to turn something like this into an online assessment but this has got me beyond worried for the final exam. She got rid of the multiple choice questions (I suppose I understand this a little bit since for an open book exam it may seem too easy) and changed the essay question from a smaller fraction into what was worth half of the exam.

The other half was much worse, it was an analytical problem but you had to solve it on paper and write your answer and explain how you got those numbers. It made no sense whatsoever. She sent out the mark scheme an hour later and she expected a lot from us, how are you even supposed to type up all those equations and calculations in the small amount of time she gave us. Our Senior Tutor requested her to extend the length of the test but she refused to do so and having spoken to students afterwards, at least half of the cohort didn't manage to finish it.

Usually our midterms try to gauge our full understanding of all the topics through multiple choice, an essay and the analytical problem, but this really didn't. It's annoying that she chose to put only topics from the last two weeks when lockdown started and we weren't in uni.

I'm majorly struggling with coping with the online exams now and I feel like they're all going to bring my average down.
So today I had my first online assessment (it was a midterm test) and I study economics. The lecturer changed the format to something completely different that all past midterms! I understand it is difficult to turn something like this into an online assessment but this has got me beyond worried for the final exam. She got rid of the multiple choice questions (I suppose I understand this a little bit since for an open book exam it may seem too easy) and changed the essay question from a smaller fraction into what was worth half of the exam.

The other half was much worse, it was an analytical problem but you had to solve it on paper and write your answer and explain how you got those numbers. It made no sense whatsoever. She sent out the mark scheme an hour later and she expected a lot from us, how are you even supposed to type up all those equations and calculations in the small amount of time she gave us. Our Senior Tutor requested her to extend the length of the test but she refused to do so and having spoken to students afterwards, at least half of the cohort didn't manage to finish it.

Usually our midterms try to gauge our full understanding of all the topics through multiple choice, an essay and the analytical problem, but this really didn't. It's annoying that she chose to put only topics from the last two weeks when lockdown started and we weren't in uni.

I'm majorly struggling with coping with the online exams now and I feel like they're all going to bring my average down.

That's actually so unfair! But at least you weren't the only one who struggled, hopefully that might be taken into consideration if all of you found it difficult.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending