The Student Room Group

Virtual uni open days?

Sooo since Corona is likely to cancel a lot of the open days I've seen that quite a few are gonna be doing the virtual ones? I'm kinda worried that I'm not gonna know which one to pick from an online video or whatever, any advice for making the most of them? (I'm gonna be applying for UCAS in October so next spring isn't gonna work :frown: )
Original post by spicy_ipad
Sooo since Corona is likely to cancel a lot of the open days I've seen that quite a few are gonna be doing the virtual ones? I'm kinda worried that I'm not gonna know which one to pick from an online video or whatever, any advice for making the most of them? (I'm gonna be applying for UCAS in October so next spring isn't gonna work :frown: )

Nobody knows how long this virus will continue and most universities will have open days in September/October. It is likely they will add in additional open days sometime later in the year. Unless you are an Oxbridge applicant or applying for things like Medicine or Dentistry you will have until January 2021 to make an application so you can use that time to visit universities. You can visit universities at any time (not at present though) so later in the year maybe you need to think about contacting universities to arrange this closer to he Autumn when hopefully things will have settled down.
Reply 2
Original post by swanseajack1
Nobody knows how long this virus will continue and most universities will have open days in September/October. It is likely they will add in additional open days sometime later in the year. Unless you are an Oxbridge applicant or applying for things like Medicine or Dentistry you will have until January 2021 to make an application so you can use that time to visit universities. You can visit universities at any time (not at present though) so later in the year maybe you need to think about contacting universities to arrange this closer to he Autumn when hopefully things will have settled down.

I'm sure he's talking about sept 2020 entry?
Original post by mma_jd

Appling through ucas in October would be for entry in 2021. That is how I read it.
Reply 4
Original post by mma_jd

Original post by swanseajack1
Appling through ucas in October would be for entry in 2021. That is how I read it.

Yeah I’m thinking of doing medicine or dentistry applying in October 2021. Maybe the virtual open days are gonna be more useful than I think?
Reply 5

Speak/contact to academics at the different unis, speak to current students. I am involved in my universities virtual open day and we are holding q&a info sessions to prospective students and will try to help with any questions you might have
Reply 6
Original post by tputnam
Speak/contact to academics at the different unis, speak to current students. I am involved in my universities virtual open day and we are holding q&a info sessions to prospective students and will try to help with any questions you might have

Ok thanks! Tbh I haven’t really looked into what the virtual open day is all about, I was kinda stressing that because it was different then it wouldn’t be as informative or whatever, but this is reassuring :smile:
Reply 7
Ok thanks! Tbh I haven’t really looked into what the virtual open day is all about, I was kinda stressing that because it was different then it wouldn’t be as informative or whatever, but this is reassuring :smile:

If other universities are similar you should be able to interact with current students and also have access to interactive campus tours and student videos telling you about the uni / their experience. I would recommend finding the contact details of course directors / deans to contact if you need more academic info
Reply 8
Original post by tputnam
If other universities are similar you should be able to interact with current students and also have access to interactive campus tours and student videos telling you about the uni / their experience. I would recommend finding the contact details of course directors / deans to contact if you need more academic info

Ok I will do. Thanks!
Reply 9
Ok I will do. Thanks!

If you're applying for sept 2021 entry you really shouldn't have issues with open days, those will be going on in like november 2020 and the corona thing should blow over by then.
Original post by mma_jd
If you're applying for sept 2021 entry you really shouldn't have issues with open days, those will be going on in like november 2020 and the corona thing should blow over by then.

But they've said that they are applying in October so will want to have a feel for the university before they apply, not after.
Reply 11
Original post by tputnam
But they've said that they are applying in October so will want to have a feel for the university before they apply, not after.

Oh right, why apply in October though? The deadline is January and it makes no difference if you apply months before. Op, I reccomend you to wait until January and attend the several open days throughout October and November to make a decision.
Original post by mma_jd
Oh right, why apply in October though? The deadline is January and it makes no difference if you apply months before. Op, I reccomend you to wait until January and attend the several open days throughout October and November to make a decision.

The deadline for Medicine and Dentistry is October

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending