The Student Room Group

Can someone please help me with a PS4 issue?

So I bought a PS4 and I'm having issues setting up a PS4 account and Ive messed it up. I'm wondering if anyone can help me since Sony support and customer service is horrendous. Thanks
Hey there, can you please detail the issue?
Original post by _SlickRick_
Hey there, can you please detail the issue?

Hi thanks for responding, this might sound extremely complicated but ill do my best to explain it very clearly. I tried to set up a PSN account and i messed up the email address by putting ".co.uk" instead of ".com". Also I mistakenly entered the date of birth as below 18+ so now its created a child account. Now i can't even verify this account because the email address doesn't even belong to me so ive lost access to it. I would like to change the date of birth so its above 18 years and so its no longer a child account but i don't think I can. I don't want to delete the profile and then create a new one because all of my game save data would be erased. I was wondering if i could back up the game save data to a usb stick, factory reset the ps4 and then transfer the save data back onto the PS4 onto a new profile but im not sure that would work. Do you have any solutions to fixing this issue without having to delete all of my saved data? Thanks.
You should be able to store your data onto a USB, that way you can create a new profile and then just store the data back onto your restored PS4. If your data consists of online profiles then this will be problematic as it'll be synched to your psn profile. Single player games should be no issue however.

Try doing the following: Settings] > [Account Management] > [Account Information] > [Sign-in ID]

Enter your password and see if you can change the email address from there.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Chemastronomical
You should be able to store your data onto a USB, that way you can create a new profile and then just store the data back onto your restored PS4. If your data consists of online profiles then this will be problematic as it'll be synched to your psn profile. Single player games should be no issue however.

I thought about doing this but i don't know if it lets you transfer game save data from one profile to another? Its an offline account which has the game save data, I didn't even manage to create an online account because of the issues ive mentioned.
Original post by Loreto2018
I thought about doing this but i don't know if it lets you transfer game save data from one profile to another? Its an offline account which has the game save data, I didn't even manage to create an online account because of the issues ive mentioned.

You can certainly try it, without restoring your ps4, transfer the saved data to a USB stick, create a new account and then see if you can plug the usb stick back into the ps4 and download it and whether its accessible from the new account (it should be).
Hey there, I did the same thing when I got mine with the date of birth! In terms of losing game data? Do you have a lot? I am assuming there isn't much as you're only just setting up the account.

Well actually its not my PS4 its my cousins and he is only like 6 years old and he was crying his eyes out when I told him I would have to delete all of his saved data which he spent hours on. So im looking for a way around it but i don't think there is one.

I did the exact same thing with the date of birth, when I got my Ps4! You will have to make a new PSN. But as you have single player game data, I think you should be able to back it up and continue once you have made the account.
Original post by Chemastronomical
You can certainly try it, without restoring your ps4, transfer the saved data to a USB stick, create a new account and then see if you can plug the usb stick back into the ps4 and download it and whether its accessible from the new account (it should be).

Ok ill try and do this the next time I get the chance to use it thanks. Have you had any previous experience where this has worked in the past at all?
Ok ill try and do this the next time I get the chance to use it thanks. Have you had any previous experience where this has worked in the past at all?

I used to do it when I had a PS3, it ended up crashing so I had to move all my single player data onto a usb stick and when I got a new console I just stored it back onto it. However my online account back then was fine so I didn't run into any issues. The usb trick will only work with single player games. Any multiplayer data will be lost because it's connected to the PSN account, if you don't have access to it you will have to create a new psn and start all over. Sorry, but there is no other way, especially if Sony isn't being very helpful.
I did the exact same thing with the date of birth, when I got my Ps4! You will have to make a new PSN. But as you have single player game data, I think you should be able to back it up and continue once you have made the account.

It's so stupid that they do this, i don't think they even tell you that it creates a child account beforehand, unless it was in the terms and conditions.(but nobody reads that) Do you think there's a way I could unlink the account from PSN so its offline only and then transfer it to another account? Cause i think now even though it has only single player data, its now linked to PSN and i cant verify the PSN account.

Yeah I don't believe any single player data was affected however, If you had any online data from the PSN account (which you don't) then you would have to say goodbye to it forever.
Yeah I don't believe any single player data was affected however, If you had any online data from the PSN account (which you don't) then you would have to say goodbye to it forever.

Hi, I think i fixed the issue and im going to keep both a child account and a parent account. Can you remove all restrictions off the child account and play online with it as you would with a normal account? or are there certain restrictions of a child account that you can't change?
Hi, I think i fixed the issue and im going to keep both a child account and a parent account. Can you remove all restrictions off the child account and play online with it as you would with a normal account? or are there certain restrictions of a child account that you can't change?

There are annoying restrictions that you really do not want. Just abandon it and stay with the new account.
There are annoying restrictions that you really do not want. Just abandon it and stay with the new account.

Restrictions such as what? What if I removed all of the restrictions?
Restrictions such as what? What if I removed all of the restrictions?

Which apps and games you can access. It isn't worth it, just make a new account.

Quick Reply

Latest