The Student Room Group

Antibiotic-resistant bacteria

Antibiotics provide the environment for antibiotic resistant bacteria to grow by killing the non-resistant population, it doesn't make sense to me since the resistant population is going to continue increasing even when there is a non-resistant population.

So there will eventually be alot of antibiotic resistant bacteria even without improper use of antibiotics?
Original post by firryz
Antibiotics provide the environment for antibiotic resistant bacteria to grow by killing the non-resistant population, it doesn't make sense to me since the resistant population is going to continue increasing even when there is a non-resistant population.

So there will eventually be alot of antibiotic resistant bacteria even without improper use of antibiotics?

basically antibiotic resistant bacteria have to become resistant first just like our immune systems become immune to a pathogen
this can happen through
misuse of antibiotics - e.g using it for virus
not finishing you course- as some bacteria will survive and become resistant to the antibiotic as they know what it is
using antibiotics is animals-it runs through the food supply

say for example number 2 -not finishing your course
therefore not all bacteria would be killed. Since they have already witnessed the antibiotic they know more about it so when it is used next time these few resistant bacteria will not be killed. Then they will reproduce and pass on the resistant allele, increasing the population
Reply 2
Ohhhh I understand it now I thought they were resistant since the beginning mb, thanks
Original post by firryz
Ohhhh I understand it now I thought they were resistant since the beginning mb, thanks

its okay :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending