The Student Room Group

Teaching friend how to drive

After this virus thing is sorted and I get a test in Ill hopefully get it 1st time, my friend has just turned 17 so Im thinking should I get him started with driving. I know when you have the opitunity to drive you like to take it so Im thinking because he might not have the money or his parents might not for lessons so I could teach him. I could take him to a private car park, also Ill be passing in auto so no gears or clutch to worry about. I could take him on around the car park get him used to the steering and pedals etc. Obviously he might want to learn in a manual but people are going to start switching due to more electric cars coming and them getting better plus auto is quicker to learn in thats why I decided to do that. I think most people our ages want to get driving like 17-20.
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

To supervise a learner you need to be over 21 and have held a full licence for at least 3yrs.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Admit-One
To supervise a leaner you need to be over 21 and have held a full licence for at least 3yrs.

Private land then
Original post by David Platt
Private land then

And also have an instructor who knows what they're doing and how to teach someone properly - which a kid who has just passed his test doesn't and can't.
Reply 4
Original post by Reality Check
And also have an instructor who knows what they're doing and how to teach someone properly - which a kid who has just passed his test doesn't and can't.

Ill be 18 when I passed which is legally an adult but even if I am a kid hes a kid as well so it might be better for him to learn from instead of some geeza who hes not met before.
Reply 5
Private land then

What's your idea of private land? You'll find it very different from the definition used by the RTA.
Reply 6
Original post by IWMTom
What's your idea of private land? You'll find it very different from the definition used by the RTA.

Get him used to controlling the car and my be I could get private land that is like a road because ksi did it with callux and jmx did it with his brother.
Reply 7
Get him used to controlling the car and my be I could get private land that is like a road because ksi did it with callux and jmx did it with his brother.

You didn't answer the question.
Reply 8
Original post by IWMTom
You didn't answer the question.

To get him used to the controlls thats the point of the private land. Show him the controlls, lights, wipers etc and maybe take him to reverse into my drive.
Very odd thread.
Original post by YaliaV
Very odd thread.

Right ok...
Reply 11
To get him used to the controlls thats the point of the private land. Show him the controlls, lights, wipers etc and maybe take him to reverse into my drive.

Still didn't answer the question.

What is your idea of "private land"? What do you think defines private?

Do you think a supermarket car park is private land?
Original post by IWMTom
Still didn't answer the question.

What is your idea of "private land"? What do you think defines private?

Do you think a supermarket car park is private land?

I think I would. By private land I mean not owned by the council like a driveway or some land which is privately owned
Reply 13
I think I would. By private land I mean not owned by the council like a driveway or some land which is privately owned

A supermarket car park is not private land for the purposes of the RTA.

Where exactly would you take your friend when there isn't really any private land you could legally take them?

"I've seen some prats on YouTube do it, therefore I'm going to be prat too"
Reply 15
Private land then

Neither of you will be insured.
Original post by Drewski
"I've seen some prats on YouTube do it, therefore I'm going to be prat too"

Im helping him get a life skill
Original post by 2500_2
Neither of you will be insured.

Dont need to be on private land
Reply 18

You don't have private land to use.
Reply 19

What happens if he crashes it? Then you will.
Or, given that it's not your private land, he damages something on that land. Again, then you will.
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending