The Student Room Group

So is BTEC included in the cancelled exams

so in second year at college, I know A levels have been cancelled but surely that will include BTECS. does anybody know, I have tried googling but there is only mention of A levels.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Rhys23
so in second year at college, I know A levels have been cancelled but surely that will include BTECS. does anybody know, I have tried googling but there is only mention of A levels.

Hey :smile:

I will try and reach out and confirm this today, but I fully expect that BTEC examinations are included in the cancelled exams at this time. I will see what I can find and get back to you.

In the mean time I would recommend still continuing your work as you would be, just in case! Even if it ends up not happening you may use the knowledge further down the line :smile:
I personally suspect they've dealt with GSCE/A levels first as they are the biggest and most widespread problem, but I would expect to see similar announcements from BTEC/City & Guilds ect over the next week. It soesn't seem likely we'll be rolling any measures back anyway.
Reply 3
What about coursework BTEC will that be cancelled
Reply 4
Original post by StriderHort
I personally suspect they've dealt with GSCE/A levels first as they are the biggest and most widespread problem, but I would expect to see similar announcements from BTEC/City & Guilds ect over the next week. It soesn't seem likely we'll be rolling any measures back anyway.

will BTEC coursework be cancelled and predicted grades given
So this is going off what I’ve been told by college before today but we were told to get assignments in as per usual (which is also hard because part of my BTEC involves practical assessments which are up in the air) within the normal timeframe and to email teachers if there was an issue.

Which can I say is an absolute sham if that’s the case, I’ve been angry since I heard the news about it.
Reply 6
Original post by Evil Homer

I will try and reach out and confirm this today, but I fully expect that BTEC examinations are included in the cancelled exams at this time. I will see what I can find and get back to you.

In the mean time I would recommend still continuing your work as you would be, just in case! Even if it ends up not happening you may use the knowledge further down the line :smile:

Do you have any idea if BTEC students will be getting awarded predicted grades for the overall course or just for the exam units?
Isn't Btec like the majority of courses in most colleges? Why would they not address it? I fear there's going to be many people failing their Btecs because of this....
Original post by IDKWhatTdo
Isn't Btec like the majority of courses in most colleges? Why would they not address it? I fear there's going to be many people failing their Btecs because of this....

It has been addressed now: https://qualifications.pearson.com/content/demo/en/qualifications/new-apprenticeships/news.news.html?article=%2Fcontent%2Fdemo%2Fen%2Fnews-policy%2Fqualifications%2Fgeneral-news%2Fbtec-assessment-update
Reply 9

What they've put out is incredibly vague, I still don't understand if we're getting a predicted grade for the overall course or just the exam units.
Original post by YasudaSayo
What they've put out is incredibly vague, I still don't understand if we're getting a predicted grade for the overall course or just the exam units.

I would assume it would be the entire course... but you are right it is quite vague. Honestly, you could try and contact them but I don't know if you'd even get through to them.
Hopefully they'll give a concrete statement soon.

Hi again :biggrin:

Sorry to bother you as I imagine your super busy! I just wanted to ask if you’ve received any answers over this? What they’ve released to the public is seeming to be quite confusing, as they haven’t specified whether coursework will still go ahead? (Unless I’m reading it wrong! :lol: )
Original post by Hazelly
Hi again :biggrin:

Sorry to bother you as I imagine your super busy! I just wanted to ask if you’ve received any answers over this? What they’ve released to the public is seeming to be quite confusing, as they haven’t specified whether coursework will still go ahead? (Unless I’m reading it wrong! :lol: )

No I don't think you are reading it wrong. I don't think they have said anything concrete regarding coursework. I will speak to someone on Monday and try and nail this down but I suspect no one knows at this point!

Edit - The latest BTEC news can be found here.
No I don't think you are reading it wrong. I don't think they have said anything concrete regarding coursework. I will speak to someone on Monday and try and nail this down but I suspect no one knows at this point!

Edit - The latest BTEC news can be found here.

Thank you! No rush if your busy :biggrin:
well i messaged a teacher of mine(sometimes he doesn't seem to have a full scope of whats going on). I sent him an article on the gov website and he replied saying we will still complete coursework. that was yesterday
Reply 15
My teacher just emailed me saying we start online classes tomorrow at 9am :redface: Looks like I'll have to give up on the idea of going to uni because I know I won't be able to do this
Original post by YasudaSayo
My teacher just emailed me saying we start online classes tomorrow at 9am :redface: Looks like I'll have to give up on the idea of going to uni because I know I won't be able to do this

You can do this!!

Just picture yourself being in the lesson, your teacher is still going to be there and supporting you.
Reply 17
Original post by Hazelly
You can do this!!

Just picture yourself being in the lesson, your teacher is still going to be there and supporting you.

Don’t think it’s that easy
My understanding is that BTECS will end and be calculated along the same principles . Completed grades plus some possible input from the teacher. I would question whether the teacher for year 13 trying to continue the course. Awaits more detailed rules.
Original post by 999tigger
My understanding is that BTECS will end and be calculated along the same principles . Completed grades plus some possible input from the teacher. I would question whether the teacher for year 13 trying to continue the course. Awaits more detailed rules.

Pearson did post an update regarding BTECs but it was very vague. Currently doing 2 Alevels and 1 BTEC need an update soon 🤔 on my two final assignments so I doubt they would cancel it for us.
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest