The Student Room Group

Post Primary PGCE Geography 2020 Coleraine

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has any advice on how to nail the coleraine interview? This is my third and final attempt. I’ve been placed on the waiting list both attempts and have had feedback that I had spoken too quickly or my stimulus didn’t completely fill the curriculum brief.

I will take all advice going! I want this so badly! I’ve been to England and gotten places everywhere I have applied but you have much more time to impress!

I’ve had comments made about my extra curriculars and having too many so how many should I be talking about and what kinds of things would they like to hear about?

Also anyone else applying?? ☺️☺️

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by MissKMcL
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has any advice on how to nail the coleraine interview? This is my third and final attempt. I’ve been placed on the waiting list both attempts and have had feedback that I had spoken too quickly or my stimulus didn’t completely fill the curriculum brief.

I will take all advice going! I want this so badly! I’ve been to England and gotten places everywhere I have applied but you have much more time to impress!

I’ve had comments made about my extra curriculars and having too many so how many should I be talking about and what kinds of things would they like to hear about?

Also anyone else applying?? ☺️☺️

Hey! I got on the waiting list also. This is my second time applying 😀
Reply 2
Original post by eliza66
Hey! I got on the waiting list also. This is my second time applying 😀

Hi!! Did you ask for any feedback last time? 😊😊 and did you notice that interview format is different this year? There was no mention of a stimulus or written task on the email?
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 3
Hi!! Did you ask for any feedback last time? 😊😊 and did you notice that interview format is different this year? There was no mention of a stimulus or written task on the email?

Yeh I noticed that we didn’t have to take an object or it didn’t mention a written task?? And it’s only issued us with a 20 minutes time slot
Reply 4
Original post by eliza66
Yeh I noticed that we didn’t have to take an object or it didn’t mention a written task?? And it’s only issued us with a 20 minutes time slot

Just seen the email update! I think the 20 minute time slot is similar to what I’ve had previously. That’s like 4 minutes each question to answer 5 questions which was the format last year.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 5
Hi i have an interview for HE and was wondering had you guys any tips?
Reply 6
Original post by Ehc96
Hi i have an interview for HE and was wondering had you guys any tips?

Best advice I can give you is to be confident. Know your chosen teaching item and use as many buzz words as you can, use HE specific terminology. Show your passion for your subject, practice taking a moment before you answer and answering slowly and focus on the key points you want to get across. The golden number could be 5 points you want to make for each question. Just be as prepared as you possibly can, stay calm and do your best.
I would note as well to refer to kids as students, young people, or pupils as anything else can be seen as degrading to the person you’re teaching.

Good luck for your interview 😊😊😊
Reply 7
Thank you so much for your help and advice 😊

Best advice I can give you is to be confident. Know your chosen teaching item and use as many buzz words as you can, use HE specific terminology. Show your passion for your subject, practice taking a moment before you answer and answering slowly and focus on the key points you want to get across. The golden number could be 5 points you want to make for each question. Just be as prepared as you possibly can, stay calm and do your best.
I would note as well to refer to kids as students, young people, or pupils as anything else can be seen as degrading to the person you’re teaching.

Good luck for your interview 😊😊😊
Reply 8
Original post by Ehc96
Thank you so much for your help and advice 😊

How did it go??
Reply 9
Hi how did you’s find it?
Did any of you ask when we might find out if we got a place?🤭
Reply 10
Original post by eliza66
Hi how did you’s find it?
Did any of you ask when we might find out if we got a place?🤭

I was really nervous, forgot some points to say but hopefully I’ve done ok! No I completely forgot to ask when we find out I think it will be after Easter tho
How did it go??
Reply 11
Does anyone know if they contact references before they give offers? Or wat way does it work?
Reply 12
Original post by eliza66
Does anyone know if they contact references before they give offers? Or wat way does it work?

How did your interview go? I’m not sure I would say they probably will contact first for references
Reply 13
Think it went ok! Hard to know as it’s so competitive.
Reply 14
Original post by eliza66
Think it went ok! Hard to know as it’s so competitive.

I know! Do you know when we find out if we’re successful?
Reply 15
Original post by Ehc96
I know! Do you know when we find out if we’re successful?

No. Was hoping for round Easter. But can’t b very positive due to corona virus and all now.
Reply 16
Original post by eliza66
No. Was hoping for round Easter. But can’t b very positive due to corona virus and all now.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. Best of luck anyways let’s keep updated if anyone gets notified 😊
Reply 17
Original post by Ehc96
Yeah I was thinking the same thing. Best of luck anyways let’s keep updated if anyone gets notified 😊

I was talking to someone who was told the number of places have been given by the Department of Education this week so we could hear next week! If not it would be after Easter as I’d say staff will want to take their Easter break!
I think my interview went ok, they seemed more positive than previously which was lovely but you can only do your best!
Best of luck everyone! Keep us updated 😊
Reply 18
O great!! Maybe something soon.
Reply 19
Original post by eliza66
O great!! Maybe something soon.

Also, i think that successful applicants have their referee’s contacted but again maybe that’s not for everyone! It might be used as a way to whittle down between applicants?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending