The Student Room Group

Does mental illness count as a disability?

I've seen my local supermarket has allowed an hour in the morning for the elderly and disabled to be allowed to shop

However as someone who also has been unable to buy anything in over a week which is also excaberated by my depression (diagnosed, if a supermarket would require proof? Though also a digestive disorder), I was wondering if this would make me eligible to shop in the allocated time?

Though, I'm not sure if I'd definitely go if I was allowed since the guilt of using it would probably eat me up inside and I'd also be afraid people would judge me or get annoyed if they weren't allowed in whereas I was, since I guess some may forget not all disabilities are visible,etc etc

Bit of a ramble but just pretty confused and was hoping perhaps anyone had any idea? Though in fairness I understand I probably should be asking the supermarket staff themselves welp

Scroll to see replies

It definitely can, a disability is defined as something that has a long term impact on your day to day life. I have disabled students allowance on the basis of having borderline personality disorder.
When it comes to shopping it ultimately is up to you and how your condition affects you, I can absolutely understand why you would want to avoid shops at normal hours as everywhere is absolutely rammed and for some that can be really debilitating.
I don't think they would ask you for proof, after all not all disabilities are visible. You may get some looks as unfortunately everyone assumes that young and walking = no disability but if you are confident in your reasons for needing to go I wouldn't let it bother you. If you need the slot you need the slot :hugs:
Reply 2
Over 70s, and those with underlying health conditions (which could manifest as physical disabilities) are at particular risk from coronavirus, which is why the shops are allocating them specific time slots so they're able to self-distance.

You can go shopping any other time, so don't do anything that will impact on those most at risk.
(edited 4 years ago)
urm no, how can you consider depression to be in the same category as down syndrome, autism etc. depression is a mental illness not a disability tf
So I went to Sainsburys in this slot last week and was challenged to prove I was disabled by staff at the door (tempted to act mental :colone:) luckily I had my PIP disability letter with me and they said that was fine (I get it for MH) but I got A LOT if dirty looks from the staff and elderly who thought I was taking advantage of the situation.
Original post by CoolCavy
It definitely can, a disability is defined as something that has a long term impact on your day to day life. I have disabled students allowance on the basis of having borderline personality disorder.
When it comes to shopping it ultimately is up to you and how your condition affects you, I can absolutely understand why you would want to avoid shops at normal hours as everywhere is absolutely rammed and for some that can be really debilitating.
I don't think they would ask you for proof, after all not all disabilities are visible. You may get some looks as unfortunately everyone assumes that young and walking = no disability but if you are confident in your reasons for needing to go I wouldn't let it bother you. If you need the slot you need the slot :hugs:

Thank you for understanding and the reassurance! That does make sense, I guess being eligible for DSA too does help make it feel more valid. I’ll have to see how the shops are in normal times I suppose, I think I’d only need to use it if I completely run out of food so thank you!!

Original post by Surnia
Over 70s, and those with underlying health conditions (which could manifest as physical disabilities) are at particular risk from coronavirus, which is why the shops are allocating them specific time slots so they're able to self-distance.

You can go shopping any other time, so don't do anything that will impact on those most at risk.

Ah yeah, sorry, this pretty much slipped my mind since I haven’t been in contact with another person in the last six weeks and could probably count the times I’ve been outside on one hand so stuck in the ‘it couldn’t be me’ mentality I guess. But yeah, that does make sense. Apologies!

Original post by rahmaso
urm no, how can you consider depression to be in the same category as down syndrome, autism etc. depression is a mental illness not a disability tf

I suppose it is a tough one, though here I’m talking about depression that can be very debilitating and last a really long time (that’s if it’ll ever get better :/). A bit of a grey area I guess, since by that logic you could argue things such as high-functioning autism wouldn’t count as a disability (or be ‘less disabled’). I think I just prefer to stick to people’s perceptions of their own illness and if they believe it to be a disability rather than criticise them for it, idk

Original post by Noodlzzz
So I went to Sainsburys in this slot last week and was challenged to prove I was disabled by staff at the door (tempted to act mental :colone:) luckily I had my PIP disability letter with me and they said that was fine (I get it for MH) but I got A LOT if dirty looks from the staff and elderly who thought I was taking advantage of the situation.

Oh gosh, I definitely wouldn’t be able to handle being challenged like that, esp since I haven’t applied for DSA or PIP since the application process seems so daunting as even my brother with CP wasn’t accepted! I hope the negative reaction from others wasn’t too awful but welp, that does seem pretty scary or embarrassing especially if someone ever decided to say something 😰 Thank you for sharing your experience with it though, that really helped!
Original post by rahmaso

There's no reason why depression can't be both a mental illness and a disability, it's how it impacts your day to day functioning that's important
Original post by bones-mccoy
There's no reason why depression can't be both a mental illness and a disability, it's how it impacts your day to day functioning that's important

that is minimising the effect that disabilities like down’s syndrome, autism and blindness have. you can always get better from depression with the right help,
Original post by rahmaso
that is minimising the effect that disabilities like down’s syndrome, autism and blindness have. you can always get better from depression with the right help, sadly that is not the same for REAL disabilities.

What about a broken leg then? Disability? Gets better?

if it’s permanent then yes, it is a disability. if not, then too bad.
I have schizophrenia and it's considered a disability. I guess it depends on how sever you are and how long it will effect you.

I don't think depression would be counted as a disability has to be long lasting and depression is seen as more of a short term condition, not that it is for most people.

A broken leg is not a disability, according to the law it has to be for more than 12 months.
Long term mental health conditions which affect your day to day functioning are classed as disabilities under the Equality Act (2010), so whether any of you personally consider them to be so or not, they are legally recognised as such and are a protected characteristic.
Original post by rahmaso
that is minimising the effect that disabilities like down’s syndrome, autism and blindness have. you can always get better from depression with the right help, sadly that is not the same for REAL disabilities.

I think this shows that you need to do a bit more research on mental health. Some people do live with treatment resistant depression for the majority of their life,
Original post by AnonymousNoMore
A broken leg is not a disability, according to the law it has to be for more than 12 months.

You've said it yourself then, 12 months minimum and I'm going to hazard a guess that the same law doesn't have a maximum?
Original post by rahmaso
if it’s permanent then yes, it is a disability. if not, then too bad.

There’s always one
You've said it yourself then, 12 months minimum and I'm going to hazard a guess that the same law doesn't have a maximum?

No the law doesn't recognise a maximum as far as I'm aware. Just more than 12 months and have a significant impact on daily life. The laws words not mine
Original post by AnonymousNoMore
He's right though, has to be more than 12 months for it to be classed as a disability

He said it had to be permanent.
Original post by rahmaso
that’s a shame. it seems as though that you and OP are trying to justify certain people to have access to special supermarket hours for those who are vulnerable. continue to reduce the importance of those with REAL disabilities by playing victim.

Not once did I mention vulnerable people using supermarkets at specific times of the day

I directly challenged your assumption that depression can't be a disability, nothing else
Original post by YaliaV
He said it had to be permanent.

So he's wrong then, I retract my post and will delete it.

Quick Reply

Latest