The Student Room Group

Coronavirus and looking after your mental health

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by StrawberryDreams
Well done for getting some work done! :hugs:

Funny stuff is great for taking your mind off it, I've been binge watching Modern Family which is really helping me. I love Futurama, what a great idea!

Hopefully your uni societies have come up with something :smile:

Thank you Strawberry! It's quite hard to take in that I've only been home for a week and we've already seen how drastic and draconian things have become. We're all going through a very difficult and unprecedented period and for me personally, I'm distraught about the cancellation of all my current assessments and I'm confused whether my teaching for summer term will still go ahead. I don't want to sound like a self-centred ******* but all of a sudden, life has no meaning and it's depressing and affecting my MH. Deep down, I really care and enjoying helping people in all sorts of ways and I would be out volunteering in the local community but unfortunately, I live in the capital and an area which is one of the worst affected by this global health pandemic. As for what I'm doing, I've really not been coping well and I have to turn off the news, stop going on social media once every while otherwise, it's just too much to bare. I do have Amazon Prime (free trail expires end of next month :frown: ) but I've been watching a few stuff on there. Still need to ask my aunt for the new password for Netflix (we share the account).

Sorry for the rambling (I could go on forever but I won't) but I hope you're doing alright and of course, everyone out there as well. :smile: x
Original post by CoffeeAndPolitics
Thank you Strawberry! It's quite hard to take in that I've only been home for a week and we've already seen how drastic and draconian things have become. We're all going through a very difficult and unprecedented period and for me personally, I'm distraught about the cancellation of all my current assessments and I'm confused whether my teaching for summer term will still go ahead. I don't want to sound like a self-centred ******* but all of a sudden, life has no meaning and it's depressing and affecting my MH. Deep down, I really care and enjoying helping people in all sorts of ways and I would be out volunteering in the local community but unfortunately, I live in the capital and an area which is one of the worst affected by this global health pandemic. As for what I'm doing, I've really not been coping well and I have to turn off the news, stop going on social media once every while otherwise, it's just too much to bare. I do have Amazon Prime (free trail expires end of next month :frown: ) but I've been watching a few stuff on there. Still need to ask my aunt for the new password for Netflix (we share the account).

Sorry for the rambling (I could go on forever but I won't) but I hope you're doing alright and of course, everyone out there as well. :smile: x

I'm sorry to hear that you're not coping well. If you need to talk there are lots of us here who can probably relate to some degree :hugs:
(edited 4 years ago)
The main tips I can give people are:
-try not to obsess over the news.
-know that you're not alone and everyone is in the same boat.
-try to write down 3 things each day that make you happy or you are grateful for. (this is especially important at a time like this).
-if possible try to create a routine whilst you're at home as this will make you feel more secure and if you're anything like me, it will help to reduce anxiety. If you are a student who has access to Learning content then you could even still follow your timetable at home by going through lectures at the time you would normally have them. This will make it easier to structure a routine and maybe even help to give a sense of normality during this time.
-Also try to keep in regular contact with friends, family etc. Using the phone and video calls.
-try not too lounge around too much overthinking things. Maybe even try and take up a hobby as you're indoors you might as well make the most of it.
-finally don't be afraid to ask for help if you need it as there are still helplines you can call.
Add me on Xbox if u want to play warzone 'lundershot' is the gamertag , that's how u survive quarentine people honestly.
Original post by CoffeeAndPolitics

Hey CoffeeAndPolitics,

I know, it's such a uncertain and sometimes scary time, I completely understand how you must be feeling. It sounds like you're making some really positive steps though, and staying away from news and social media is definitely the best way to look after yourself at the moment :hugs: Could you potentially do some online volunteering at all? (Apart from all the great work you do here obviously!)

I know its hard now, but things will get better - and we're all here to support you and talk about anything you need. TSR is a family of its own, and we're here no matter what.

:heart:

Original post by CatusStarbright
I'm sorry to hear that you're not coping well. If you need to talk there are lots of us here who can probably relate to some degree :hugs:

:hugs: You're so wonderful and supportive Catus, thank you :heart:

Original post by Anonymous
The main tips I can give people are:
-try not to obsess over the news.
-know that you're not alone and everyone is in the same boat.
-try to write down 3 things each day that make you happy or you are grateful for. (this is especially important at a time like this).
-if possible try to create a routine whilst you're at home as this will make you feel more secure and if you're anything like me, it will help to reduce anxiety. If you are a student who has access to Learning content then you could even still follow your timetable at home by going through lectures at the time you would normally have them. This will make it easier to structure a routine and maybe even help to give a sense of normality during this time.
-Also try to keep in regular contact with friends, family etc. Using the phone and video calls.
-try not too lounge around too much overthinking things. Maybe even try and take up a hobby as you're indoors you might as well make the most of it.
-finally don't be afraid to ask for help if you need it as there are still helplines you can call.

These are amazing tips, thank you :hugs:

Original post by Will magic
Add me on Xbox if u want to play warzone 'lundershot' is the gamertag , that's how u survive quarentine people honestly.

Xbox is the one! I'm downloading The Sims at the moment :lol:
Reply 25
Hey CoffeeAndPolitics,

I know, it's such a uncertain and sometimes scary time, I completely understand how you must be feeling. It sounds like you're making some really positive steps though, and staying away from news and social media is definitely the best way to look after yourself at the moment :hugs: Could you potentially do some online volunteering at all? (Apart from all the great work you do here obviously!)

I know its hard now, but things will get better - and we're all here to support you and talk about anything you need. TSR is a family of its own, and we're here no matter what.

Thanks Strawberry! :smile: I'm around as normal and with the cancellation of all my assessments at university, I can ramp up my activity levels on here. Can certainly do some online volunteering and I was thinking of providing support for sociology up to A-Level but with the cancellation of GCSE and A-Level exams, I fear that there's no demand for it. Nonetheless, still happy to support individuals who are interested to the best of my ability.
I had a choice:
a) Stay with my parents under lock-down
b) Live alone for two weeks

I opted for b). I spent just 3 days in the company of my parents when the outbreak was just getting started, and already then they were too neurotic for me to stomach. They don't really have a life outside the house, so when anything dramatic comes on the news, it often becomes their point of obsession. And of course, there is nothing more dramatic than the coronavirus outbreak in recent history.

I had to put up with listening to the news on loud volume for the entire day, and at the same time them then talking over the news repeating the same thing I just heard on the news, over and over. I felt like burying my head in f*ing concrete. I still have work to do and shyt to organise, which is impossible when listening to them like a megaphone with a feedback loop.
Start exercising since this releases endorphins, which causes us to feel less pain and fewer negative effects of stress and can bring a sense of euphoria. This makes you feel happier and have a general sense of well being. Plus you have the whole day, even if you don't want to go out, get some calisthenics done and get healthier and if this goes on for a long period of time you'll look great for summer :biggrin:
Hope this helps :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

My only worry is that my Mark Evison application may not go through because of this situation, plus i had my birthday the day after the closure of school and most leisure centres, gyms and restaurants, so i couldn't even do anything.
(edited 4 years ago)
All of us at Sheffield Hallam are wishing our students, applicants, staff, the wider community and rest of the world our well wishes. We have shared a blog post on remote working created by Hallam students for students.

I thought it may be worth adding here :h: Stay positive and stay safe everyone.
- Ella
Infectious disease outbreaks, like the current Coronavirus (Covid 19), can be scary and can affect our mental health. There is lots of speculation and rumour out there, and it can be difficult to look after ourselves mentally as well as physically during times like these.

Do you have any tips or advice for anyone struggling with their mental health due to the Covid-19 outbreak?

If you are looking for some support more immediately, Mind and The Mental Health Foundation have some really good advice if you are struggling to cope with the current situation. Student Minds also have some excellent resources if you're a University student.

Some tips they've provided are:

Trying to avoid speculation, and always looking up reputable sources when reading about it

Try manage how you read about the outbreak in the media and try to limit your news intake if it's making you stressed

Follow you normal routine as much as possible

What are your tips? Why not put them below and we can support each other :hugs:

Check out our article made up of your tips here!

Try to be busy in healthy activities try to spend times in the home with ur loves one but follow the healthy rules do proper exercise reads books and think about those who are in the jail they are alone but u have still freedom in your home u can watch videos reads books make project teach online do exercises a lots of things to do but be positive this time gonna passes soon inshAllah
I try to limit my NEWS intake to ONCE every three days - I watch some good comedy on YOU TUBE. It really helps. This has not peaked yet so giving drama to people is all they have, I have had enough of drama and BS, I am staying isolated and I am taking my life back. Thanks
"You mental health is like glass, if you drop too much of what is supporting it, it will shatter it a million pieces"
Wise words of the day. I literally just came up with that all by myself. Very proud
Original post by fullcontact56?
I try to limit my NEWS intake to ONCE every three days - I watch some good comedy on YOU TUBE. It really helps. This has not peaked yet so giving drama to people is all they have, I have had enough of drama and BS, I am staying isolated and I am taking my life back. Thanks

I recommend anything by Jack Whitehall clips. Absolute crack up.
anyone else feel **** for no particular reason?
Find a hobby
This is a list of ideas
Video making
Scrapbooking
Toy design
Photo taking
Macrame
Jewellery making
Volunteering
Knitting
French etc
Cookery
Quiz nights
Choir
Sewing
Beadwork
Painting
Woodwork
Stamp collection
Game making
Original post by Anonymous
anyone else feel **** for no particular reason?

This was me yesterday, but I feel fine today. Life's a rollercoaster isn't it? :smile:
Infectious disease outbreaks, like the current Coronavirus (Covid 19), can be scary and can affect our mental health. There is lots of speculation and rumour out there, and it can be difficult to look after ourselves mentally as well as physically during times like these.

Do you have any tips or advice for anyone struggling with their mental health due to the Covid-19 outbreak?

If you are looking for some support more immediately, Mind and The Mental Health Foundation have some really good advice if you are struggling to cope with the current situation. Student Minds also have some excellent resources if you're a University student.

Some tips they've provided are:

Trying to avoid speculation, and always looking up reputable sources when reading about it

Try manage how you read about the outbreak in the media and try to limit your news intake if it's making you stressed

Follow you normal routine as much as possible

What are your tips? Why not put them below and we can support each other :hugs:

Check out our article made up of your tips here!

hey i really need some advise please reply quick
Original post by jademowry123
hey i really need some advise please reply quick

Hey there,

What's your question? :smile:
Hey there,

What's your question? :smile:

i had an anxiety attack the other day and i have had one everyday since the is this normal
Original post by jademowry123
i had an anxiety attack the other day and i have had one everyday since the is this normal

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that's not normal, no
You might wanna tell someone / call your doctor about that chief :yy:

Quick Reply

Latest