The Student Room Group

Chinese state continues pushing conspiracy blaming US for coronavirus

Scroll to see replies

China blame everything on others except for themselves
Original post by _epoh_
China is a communist state, they don't have freedom as we know it in the west. We're free to talk negatively or protest our government, Chinese citizens aren't.

I was actually talking about their foreign policy (in which you have to admit that China is far better), as Americans often paint their wars and coups as 'spreading freedom', but it's not like America doesn't have some skeletons in its closet too: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COINTELPRO

Original post by _epoh_
When you talk about the option where less people die, I'm assuming you're talking about America?

No. I am talking about the best way to deal with the extremism in Xinjiang.

Original post by _epoh_
You may or may not know, the media in China is state controlled

I am aware of that. I am also aware that most of the Western sources reporting on China have links with the CIA. Hence, I trust neither.
Original post by AnonymousNoMore
I prefer the option where innocent people aren't held captive against their will, and taken away from their families. Try talking to them about the bigger picture. Do you support killing all of them? Would cut down on terrorism after all, and if not, why do you support mass incarceration but not execution.

As I said, I prefer the option where less people will die. Killing them all is not that option.

For me, to justify the mass incarceration there needs to be proof that over 50% of those incarcerated are extremists. What number does the links say?

Why 50%? Why not 40%, or 60%? For me, any ratio of extremists to non-extremists is fine, as long as steps are taken to narrow that ratio down as much as possible.

Anyway, here's some further reading on extremism in Xinjiang, as promised:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/July_2009_Ürümqi_riots
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/April_2013_Bachu_unrest
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_Hotan_attack
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2008/aug/12/olympics2008.china
Original post by Napp
Obliterating a culutre comes uber the rubric of genocide.

Google:
Genocide - noun:
the deliberate killing of a large group of people, especially those of a particular nation or ethnic group

Are they deliberately killing as many Uyghurs as possible? Are they measuring people's skulls to find signs of Uyghur ancestry? Genocides do 'obliterate cultures', but 'obliterating a culture' does not necessarily mean genocide.

Original post by Napp
Like?

Like Radio Free Asia. This article explores this further.

Original post by Napp
more of a credulous Chinese stooge to be frank.

You accuse me of being 'credulous' yet you believe far-fetched claims made by Western powers. Also, I do not support modern China in every matter, but I would always sooner side with it over the USA, or any member of NATO. They have done much worse things in the past. Same with the DPRK, Iran or Iraq. It's called "critical support", have you ever heard of it?

Original post by Napp
You really are spewing utter garbage :lol: If you don't know the basic history of China and its political doctrine i have no idea why im even debating this with you

Go on, give me a primer then. Until you do, I can say the same thing to you.

Original post by Napp
Why are you presenting the article but lying about its content? A bit of a silly move.

Where? Are you talking about the first article I linked? I know it's not quite the same area, but the terrorists did belong to one of the Xinjiang extremist groups.

Original post by Napp
You betray your ignorance of what happens in China by comparing it to ISIS

ahem
Reply 84
Original post by comradev
Google:
Genocide - noun:
the deliberate killing of a large group of people, especially those of a particular nation or ethnic group

*Destruction of a group.
Need one really point out to you that there are various definitions of the word with several constituent parts.

Not entirely sure how this backs up your point?

You accuse me of being 'credulous' yet you believe far-fetched claims made by Western powers. Also, I do not support modern China in every matter, but I would always sooner side with it over the USA, or any member of NATO. They have done much worse things in the past. Same with the DPRK, Iran or Iraq. It's called "critical support", have you ever heard of it?

lol and pray tell which claim by a western power one has fallen for?
No, just its most barbaric it would seem.
Good for you? Although given China would still be spanked across the pacific by NATO that would seem a poor choice.
Yeah to be frank i stopped listening what you said you 'critically support' North Korea.

Go on, give me a primer then. Until you do, I can say the same thing to you.

You're more than welcome to say the same thing to me. The difference being i have yet to public embrace my sycophancy with the dictatorship of Xi.
I'm sure you're more than capable of going into your local library? Suffice it to say i'm sure youll find some useful works coming out of the Carnegie Tshingua center.

Where? Are you talking about the first article I linked? I know it's not quite the same area, but the terrorists did belong to one of the Xinjiang extremist groups.

All of them. You made the rather fatuous lie that the area is crawling with terrorists and then linked to a couple of dozen. Hardly crawling :lol:

?
Reply 85
The Chinese foreign ministry is still pushing this conspiracy theory...

Original post by DiddyDec
Easier to blame someone else than to fix your own hygiene standards.

Idk but I was thinking that Asians tend to just hide from bad hygiene behind those masks of theirs 😷 instead of cleaning they just mask up. Smog and viruses are major health risks yet they never attended to it, especially China and Hong Kong. They just said: 😷 it kind of pisses me off. It's a front that they're sooo clean, and it looks scornful of random people wearing the mask around them. They're the only culture that wears masks regularly, and ironically the dirtiest.

By Asians I mean far east as it applies to the title.
(edited 4 years ago)
The idea that it started in America but just wasn't discovered until it came to wuhan. Possible, but highly unlikely.

The idea that America or China or anyone did this on purpose... nonsense, just look at how much its costing everyone - no nation would have intended to destroy themselves in such a way.

Until they really understand where it came from, there will always be speculation (and bare in mind how long it took them to find the exact type of bat and the location that SARS came from, people will be speculating for a while), but we can pretty much say that there is 0% chance that this happened on purpose, and 99% chance that it started in China.
(edited 4 years ago)
As I said, I prefer the option where less people will die. Killing them all is not that option.

Why 50%? Why not 40%, or 60%? For me, any ratio of extremists to non-extremists is fine, as long as steps are taken to narrow that ratio down as much as possible.

Anyway, here's some further reading on extremism in Xinjiang, as promised:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/July_2009_Ürümqi_riots
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/April_2013_Bachu_unrest
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_Hotan_attack
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2008/aug/12/olympics2008.china

All your doing is linking terror attacks, not anything to do with how much the population is extremist.
Until you can show me a sensible stay that says how many are we cannot debate this further.
Until you can show me a sensible stay that says how many are we cannot debate this further.

Alright then. If a race riot of 1000 people that ended with almost 200 deaths (most of them Han) is not enough to convince you that there is a problem with extremism in the region, then I doubt anything will.
Alright then. If a race riot of 1000 people that ended with almost 200 deaths (most of them Han) is not enough to convince you that there is a problem with extremism in the region, then I doubt anything will.

I don't doubt there's a problem, but a solution is not to mass incarcerated the entirity to solve a minority problem. Well not a good solution anyway.
And how do you think the people are going to feel about the main Chinese population once they get out of the camps? They sure as hell aren't gunna be grateful.
I don't doubt there's a problem, but a solution is not to mass incarcerated the entirity to solve a minority problem. Well not a good solution anyway.
And how do you think the people are going to feel about the main Chinese population once they get out of the camps? They sure as hell aren't gunna be grateful.

They didn't detain the entirety of the region, just those they believed to have a high chance of being extremists. The population of Xinjiang is 22 million, but the highest estimate I've heard of the number of people that were detained at some point was 3 million, and the number of people detained at any one time is likely to be far lower.

Your second point is not bad, but it depends on the conditions within the centres, of which there is not much quality evidence.
(edited 4 years ago)

the idea isn't to make them greatful or like the Chinese. The idea is to give them no choice other then cooperating and living in a way that the gov. wants them to, like it or not. This is a long-game for them.. they hope that more and more with each generation will get on board, or face the consequences, and slowly their culture will convert to one that fits the parties desires. Its not a quick 'educate them for a few years and bang. they are solved' - its a slow generation by generation effort to make them more complient and inline with the rest of the nation. First convince them that there is no hope for a way out and no tolerance for not complying, then show them that their kids can have better futures if they play along, and then let time do the rest.
Original post by fallen_acorns
the idea isn't to make them greatful or like the Chinese. The idea is to give them no choice other then cooperating and living in a way that the gov. wants them to, like it or not. This is a long-game for them.. they hope that more and more with each generation will get on board, or face the consequences, and slowly their culture will convert to one that fits the parties desires. Its not a quick 'educate them for a few years and bang. they are solved' - its a slow generation by generation effort to make them more complient and inline with the rest of the nation. First convince them that there is no hope for a way out and no tolerance for not complying, then show them that their kids can have better futures if they play along, and then let time do the rest.

Sounds a lot like cultural genocide.
They didn't detain the entirety of the region, just those they believed to have a high chance of being extremists. The population of Xinjiang is 22 million, but the highest estimate I've heard of the number of people that were detained at some point was 3 million, and the number of people detained at any one time is likely to be far lower.

Your second point is not bad, but it depends on the conditions within the centres, of which there is not much quality evidence.

I doubt they are being treated well.
Sounds a lot like cultural genocide.

Its not really genocide as such.. more submission. Its 'you can have your differences, as long as they are submissive under our ideas/culture'.

I mean its still not good, but I would just keep the word 'genocide' for very extreme cases.
Its not really genocide as such.. more submission. Its 'you can have your differences, as long as they are submissive under our ideas/culture'.

I mean its still not good, but I would just keep the word 'genocide' for very extreme cases.

Alright but that's why I said cultural genocide. Genocide is the killing based on ethnicity or race, and I said it was a cultural genocide, the killing of a culture based off their views. I think it applies, but if you want me to take it back, I will.
My opinion is China wanted to release a controlled virus to take the world's eye off the Hong Kong protests but grossly miscalculated and now we are where we are. Let's face it, it wouldn't be the first time the Chinese government has should a complete disregard for their own citizens lives.
Original post by Guru Jason
My opinion is China wanted to release a controlled virus to take the world's eye off the Hong Kong protests but grossly miscalculated and now we are where we are. Let's face it, it wouldn't be the first time the Chinese government has should a complete disregard for their own citizens lives.

That would have made more sense if they had done it last summer.. but the HK protests were already loosing steam, and barely being talked about internationally.. China was already winning, why do this?
That would have made more sense if they had done it last summer.. but the HK protests were already loosing steam, and barely being talked about internationally.. China was already winning, why do this?

#JustChinaThings

I remember still hearing quite a bit on the protests just before the CoronaVirus was kicking off.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending