The Student Room Group

AAT- chartered

I have just finished high school. I have just got an offer for aat level 3 and am thinking of taking it and proceeding onto level 4. However what happened after that as I will be 20 years old. How do I become qualified
Reply 1
Original post by Ishaq shafiq
I have just finished high school. I have just got an offer for aat level 3 and am thinking of taking it and proceeding onto level 4. However what happened after that as I will be 20 years old. How do I become qualified

Well - once you pass AAT level 4 you are AAT qualified once you can prove practical experience. To get this you need a job/ apprenticeship.

You will also be exempt from some exams if you want to study ACCA / ACA or CIMA.
Original post by ajj2000
Well - once you pass AAT level 4 you are AAT qualified once you can prove practical experience. To get this you need a job/ apprenticeship.

You will also be exempt from some exams if you want to study ACCA / ACA or CIMA.

thanks. I just spoke to an advisor who said I could do cfab after AAT level 3 and compelte 6 papers before completing it all
Reply 3
thanks. I just spoke to an advisor who said I could do cfab after AAT level 3 and compelte 6 papers before completing it all

You may want to ask the advisor what their reasoning for this is (do they have a financial interest?). The normal, good, advice would be to complete level 4 AAT unless their is a strong reason not to do so, or possibly if you have very strong A level grades in traditional subjects (AAA for example).
Original post by ajj2000
You may want to ask the advisor what their reasoning for this is (do they have a financial interest?). The normal, good, advice would be to complete level 4 AAT unless their is a strong reason not to do so, or possibly if you have very strong A level grades in traditional subjects (AAA for example).

They said if I went up against someone who has just come out from a levels nower days Experience is more desirable. I wouldn’t want to stay with AAT unless it’s to build my foundation. A board such as ACCA Or ACA would be better. Also this way is much more quicker that going to college as u may be asked to aat level 3 as experience straight after and that’s 18 months gone
Reply 5
They said if I went up against someone who has just come out from a levels nower days Experience is more desirable. I wouldn’t want to stay with AAT unless it’s to build my foundation. A board such as ACCA Or ACA would be better. Also this way is much more quicker that going to college as u may be asked to aat level 3 as experience straight after and that’s 18 months gone

I would debate your assumption that employers don't look at A levels for accountancy jobs - we do. Check any major accountancy recruitment website for more information.

Anyhow, AAT is a great place to start - especially if you are working at the same time. You are better off completing AAT level 4 and then starting ACA or ACCA using the exemptions from passing level 4. You will be far better prepared for both the workplace and the professional institute exams.

The content if AAT is far better suited to the workplace than the introductory exams with the other institutes, and you get a qualification people respect and have heard of. The ACCA and ACA (cfab) qualifications are really not well known. Once you have passed level 4 you progress straight into ACCA or ACA.

How long is it going to take you with your AAT level 3 course? 9 months? Thats not too long.
Original post by ajj2000
I would debate your assumption that employers don't look at A levels for accountancy jobs - we do. Check any major accountancy recruitment website for more information.

Anyhow, AAT is a great place to start - especially if you are working at the same time. You are better off completing AAT level 4 and then starting ACA or ACCA using the exemptions from passing level 4. You will be far better prepared for both the workplace and the professional institute exams.

The content if AAT is far better suited to the workplace than the introductory exams with the other institutes, and you get a qualification people respect and have heard of. The ACCA and ACA (cfab) qualifications are really not well known. Once you have passed level 4 you progress straight into ACCA or ACA.

How long is it going to take you with your AAT level 3 course? 9 months? Thats not too long.

Since I’m just leaving they said 12-18 months. Therefore if I did AAT level 4 it would be another 12-18 months. Then 3 years in ACA would be 5-6 years total and I’m 16 now so not bad. I’ll cross that bridge in 18 months hopefully
I did AAT instead of A levels- I started working in industry, and while I feel like I’ve got good career progression in industry, I have now decided I want to work in practice instead, and am really struggling to find any jobs in practice that don’t mind about A levels.
So I’d say if you want to work in industry go for it, it’s a great idea, and you will end up on a good salary, but if you want to work in practice I wouldn’t.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending