The Student Room Group

Recommended further reading for A Level History

Hiya, so I'm in year 12 on the Pearson History specification. We study Germany and West Germany 1918-1989, the Rise and Fall of Fascism in Italy and the British Experience of Warfare. Can anyone on those recommend any books I could read. I want to do history in university and have been told that it could look good on my personal statement.

If there are any other recommendations for my personal statement, I'd love to hear them. I should be taking my A Levels in 2021 and want to study history/modern history at either University of Chichester, University of Portsmouth, University of Sussex, University of Winchester or the University of Kent.

Currently I'm studying A Level History, Government and Politics and BTEC Applied Law.
Original post by thatcollegegirl
Hiya, so I'm in year 12 on the Pearson History specification. We study Germany and West Germany 1918-1989, the Rise and Fall of Fascism in Italy and the British Experience of Warfare. Can anyone on those recommend any books I could read. I want to do history in university and have been told that it could look good on my personal statement.

If there are any other recommendations for my personal statement, I'd love to hear them. I should be taking my A Levels in 2021 and want to study history/modern history at either University of Chichester, University of Portsmouth, University of Sussex, University of Winchester or the University of Kent.

Currently I'm studying A Level History, Government and Politics and BTEC Applied Law.

Hi there!

So pleased to hear you're considering studying History at the University of Kent :biggrin: I'm currently in my final year studying History at Kent at the moment, so if you have any questions about the course or life at Kent, please feel free to ask :smile:

I know that this may not be of direct help to you studying History at A-level, but on the course page for History at Kent you can see what modules you can choose from, and if you click on these you are taken to a page that gives more information about the modules as well as an indicative reading list. So while this may not be directly useful for A-level history, if you do decide to come to Kent then you can see what extra reading you can do to prepare for the course, and also give a little boost to your personal statement too. Here's the link to the History course page so you can check it out if you'd like to.

I hope that this helps! Best of luck with your A-levels and university applications :smile:
Original post by StudentRep Annabel
Hi there!

So pleased to hear you're considering studying History at the University of Kent :biggrin: I'm currently in my final year studying History at Kent at the moment, so if you have any questions about the course or life at Kent, please feel free to ask :smile:

I know that this may not be of direct help to you studying History at A-level, but on the course page for History at Kent you can see what modules you can choose from, and if you click on these you are taken to a page that gives more information about the modules as well as an indicative reading list. So while this may not be directly useful for A-level history, if you do decide to come to Kent then you can see what extra reading you can do to prepare for the course, and also give a little boost to your personal statement too. Here's the link to the History course page so you can check it out if you'd like to.

I hope that this helps! Best of luck with your A-levels and university applications :smile:

Thank you, I have ordered a prospectus and will try to go for a visit or tour when we are able to.
Original post by thatcollegegirl

Hey! :biggrin:

We are happy to hear you are considering studying History at the University of Portsmouth! :smile: I'm in my third year here studying International Relations and Politics.

I hope your studies are going well! Unfortunately, I can’t fully answer the question. Just like Annabel though, I would highly recommend looking at our course page (linked here) which shows all of the different modules currently available in each year. This will help give you an idea of what you could be studying here at the university, and perhaps into reading you might want to look into.

I hoped this helped, and good luck with your studies! If you have any other questions about the university or studying History here please feel free to ask! :smile:

Courtney - Official Student Rep :smile:
Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Hey! :biggrin:

We are happy to hear you are considering studying History at the University of Portsmouth! :smile: I'm in my third year here studying International Relations and Politics.

I hope your studies are going well! Unfortunately, I can’t fully answer the question. Just like Annabel though, I would highly recommend looking at our course page (linked here) which shows all of the different modules currently available in each year. This will help give you an idea of what you could be studying here at the university, and perhaps into reading you might want to look into.

I hoped this helped, and good luck with your studies! If you have any other questions about the university or studying History here please feel free to ask! :smile:

Courtney - Official Student Rep :smile:

Thank you. I appreciate this!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending