The Student Room Group

Student accommodation and coronavirus...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by westie15
UCL has announced it on their coronavirus webpage, I suggest you look at your respective one

Yea, there's nothing so far. I want to email them and use other uni's name within my email to them.
Original post by Anonymous
Yea, there's nothing so far. I want to email them and use other uni's name within my email to them.

Oh I see, well I have emailed mine and quoted that UCL, Imperial and MMU have released students from their term 3 contracts. You're welcome to check this out, but here is the quote from UCL's FAQ page:

'If I go home because of the outbreak, will I have to pay accommodation fees in Term 3?

No we have taken the decision not to charge accommodation fees for students who will not be living in UCL halls in Term 3. This applies to those residents who have already checked out from 13 March or are planning on checking out by 25 April.'
Oh I see, well I have emailed mine and quoted that UCL, Imperial and MMU have released students from their term 3 contracts. You're welcome to check this out, but here is the quote from UCL's FAQ page:

'If I go home because of the outbreak, will I have to pay accommodation fees in Term 3?

No we have taken the decision not to charge accommodation fees for students who will not be living in UCL halls in Term 3. This applies to those residents who have already checked out from 13 March or are planning on checking out by 25 April.'

Thank you for that!
To respond to all your questions about the maintenance loan:
My university sent us an email that SFE have made no changes to the maintenance loans and we are still expected to be paid the amount we are supposed to be paid on the 20th of April, whether we are living at home or not. This includes any grants and bursaries from the university.
Original post by oldman50
I assume that any people not paying accommodation and having much lower living costs at home will not be drawing the next instalment of their maintenance loan. Seems a bit one sided to not want to pay rent but still to take that money out of the government's purse when they have lots of other additional costs to pay (eg paying peoples wages and rent...). Seems a bit like taking advantage of the situation otherwise. Don't forget, the government's money is our money. It doesn't just appear out of thin air.

With all my respects, you are supposing I get student loans and grants. And I don’t (I’m eu student) My parents support me and are self-employed. So this is a problem for us. Because if my parents don’t have an income, I don’t want them paying my rent over 1500. And at the moment they aren’t getting any help. This is why I’m trying to find if because of the virus we are exempt of paying the accommodation.
(edited 4 years ago)

My problem is, I’ve left the accommodation and haven’t been able to pack my belongings! Because I didn’t know there was a possibility of having cancelled 3rd term payment. So I thought, if we are paying why to empty the room out? Anyway after seeing some accommodations doing it , I was planning to go ASAP but we are now on lockdown. So I think I cannot travel back! 😭
My uni announced yesterday evening they’re going to realise us from our contracts so I hope the same for you guys!
Reply 27
My daughter, a first year student midwife at Kingston, was supposed to move into a private hall of residence in Kingston on 20 March, after moving our of rented accommodation. Due to the lockdown situation she moved back home instead. Meantime she had paid £1,260 in rent up to May 1st, which we are trying to recover. She never actually moved in and is currently self isolating. So far the accommodation officer has refused her a refund but we have since sent evidence of her self isolation and the fact that Kingston closed the university down and asked for this to be seen as exceptional circumstances. We also asked if they would consider, as an alternative, giving my daughter a credit on her accommodation costs in September, or when the university opens, instead. Regarding the comment about still taking the full Student loan. Surely that is between the student and the Student loan company. If circumstances have changed this should, in theory, be notified to the SLC via their website, explaining the change in accommodation and circumstances. The loan is then readjusted. If you are living at home, and spending far less, it makes sense to make this adjustment to you loan, by notifying the SLC, otherwise you are just paying back more later. But, since we don’t know for how long the change will be it might be a good idea to wait and see what happens. It might just be for a couple of months or it could be a year. Nobody knows. Either way, the form (CO1 I believe) can be completed and loan figure adjusted later if need be. Let’s hope the SLC come up with some guidance on this issue soon. I think if anyone is still expected to pay for accommodation that they are not using they should raise it with their MP. This issue needs to be brought to the governments’ attention and assistance offered to students. Only if we raise it with out MPs will they be aware of it. Yes, it is difficult for the Halls of Residence financially, but hotels, National Express and other bodies are refunding for bookings not taken up. Students have no choice but to stay at home if they wish to socially isolate. Allowance should be made for this.
Original post by Beasty990
You signed a contract, yes it seems unfair, but they'd be losing a lot of money. So I doubt, unless enforced by the government, they'd be giving money back to students.

Read your contract well. There should be break clause and the clause relating to fire,floods and any other risks (in this case covid 19) when the rent is not payable. Do not be fooled! This is force majeure situation,emergency situation.
There are currently lots of petitions online regarding the issue. I suggested as many of us as possible sign them and get our voices heard. Several unis have already agreed not to charge for term 3, hopefully all will be made to!

You do not even need petition. Simply refuse to pay. Every single law is on the side of students-break clause and clause relating to floods,fires and any other risk (in this case covid19) not caused by a student when the rent is not payable. Then there is the British coomon law doctrine of Frustration and international law of force maleure. The more of us refuse to pay the better.
For anyone in this forum who needs to hear this, you can claim money back from your tuition fee (well at most universities anyways.) There is a complaint procedure for those who have lost education due to COVID-19, for example my university closed 2 weeks before the official government instructed lock down. This was the universities choice, so in this situation I lost money in terms of education and accommodation as I moved out and handed my keys in straight away, I paid for a service that I did not receive, and it was not issued by government instructions. With this being said - you can complain and get money back from your tuition fee. I found this on my universities page and the students union helped also.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending