The Student Room Group

Carol Ann Duffy's Feminine Gospels

What poems are best to use when writing an essay about freedom. I'm hesitant about using 'The Laughter of Stafford Girls High' because of how long it is and think this may cause me to not answer the question in enough detail.
With ‘Laughter’ you could go the route of freedom from patriarchal restrictions/norms? It’s important to remember you don’t have to talk about everything in the poem, maybe just pick out one teacher or student to focus on (I always used the one who went into the sea at the end).

Other forms of freedom could be freedom of expression (Anon, Loud), LGBTQ+ and freedom to marry/love (white writing - this could also be in the second point)

Poems showing a lack of freedom provide a nice contrast - the first that come to mind are TVM, Beautiful, The Diet and TWWS

Good luck!
Reply 2
Stafford isn't as bad as you think, all you have to do is bring up specific moments & do language analysis for them. Lit in 5 has good YouTube videos on that poem. You could compare it to Loud, or The Woman Who Shopped as an opposing example of harmful conformity.
Reply 3
Original post by allstoriesrtrue
With ‘Laughter’ you could go the route of freedom from patriarchal restrictions/norms? It’s important to remember you don’t have to talk about everything in the poem, maybe just pick out one teacher or student to focus on (I always used the one who went into the sea at the end).

Other forms of freedom could be freedom of expression (Anon, Loud), LGBTQ+ and freedom to marry/love (white writing - this could also be in the second point)

Poems showing a lack of freedom provide a nice contrast - the first that come to mind are TVM, Beautiful, The Diet and TWWS

Good luck!

That's really helpful, thank you
Reply 4
Original post by mtanvir
Stafford isn't as bad as you think, all you have to do is bring up specific moments & do language analysis for them. Lit in 5 has good YouTube videos on that poem. You could compare it to Loud, or The Woman Who Shopped as an opposing example of harmful conformity.

I'll have a look at the videos. Thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending