The Student Room Group

Getting over a fear

How do you get over the fear of asteroids and meteors hitting earth coz it’s really effecting me
Original post by Motomoto101
How do you get over the fear of asteroids and meteors hitting earth coz it’s really effecting me

You (1) read up on the sky surveys going on that are doing a pretty good job of identifying potential hazards and chill a bit as there is nothing heading our way right now, and (2) prioritise more immediate threats of the viral kind that are an unplanned wet kiss away :smile:.

https://www.space.com/33576-asteroid-defense.html

There are none predicted to hit at any point in the near future. It's way down my list of things to worry about currently!
Reply 3
Original post by Mr Wednesday
You (1) read up on the sky surveys going on that are doing a pretty good job of identifying potential hazards and chill a bit as there is nothing heading our way right now, and (2) prioritise more immediate threats of the viral kind that are an unplanned wet kiss away :smile:.

https://www.space.com/33576-asteroid-defense.html

All I keep imagining tho is something happening in the future and just waiting for it scared or someone searching for it and doing the calculations wrong and actually it hits earth
All I keep imagining tho is something happening in the future and just waiting for it scared or someone searching for it and doing the calculations wrong and actually it hits earth

Good point ..... and this is where science cuts in. The codes that do these calculations get tested REALY well :smile:. They use fantastically well understood orbital mechanics and codes get benchmarked against theory, observation and other peoples codes before they get let loose on problems like this. Independent teams then compare results with each other.

Look at how fantastically accurate long distance probe missions like Cassini are, same kind of calculations to make them end up in the right place hitting a target window on the other side of the solar system after multiple gravitational boosts from planetary fly bys.

Statistically, you are much more likely to be seriously injured by your slippers, which apparently account for about 27,000 visits to A&E each year.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2000/may/30/healthandwellbeing.health2
Reply 5
Good point ..... and this is where science cuts in. The codes that do these calculations get tested REALY well :smile:. They use fantastically well understood orbital mechanics and codes get benchmarked against theory, observation and other peoples codes before they get let loose on problems like this. Independent teams then compare results with each other.

Look at how fantastically accurate long distance probe missions like Cassini are, same kind of calculations to make them end up in the right place hitting a target window on the other side of the solar system after multiple gravitational boosts from planetary fly bys.

Statistically, you are much more likely to be seriously injured by your slippers, which apparently account for about 27,000 visits to A&E each year.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2000/may/30/healthandwellbeing.health2

Om sorry to keep on but if something was coming for earth would they try and do something about it ? And do u think anything will in our lifetime ?
Om sorry to keep on but if something was coming for earth would they try and do something about it ? And do u think anything will in our lifetime ?

Yes to A, almost certainly not for B, stuff with that potential has already been looked for.
Reply 7
If it happens there is nothing to be done about it by you, so there is no point worrying. Worry about things you have some control over, god knows theres enough going about.
Reply 8
Yes to A, almost certainly not for B, stuff with that potential has already been looked for.

Thank you
Reply 9

I’m just really stressing about this one on the 29th of April
Whether said scenario does or doesn't happen, is out of your control. Why waste your energy on something you can't control? The fear you have is irrational and is creating a prison in your mind. You need to face that fear head on. Accept that there's a possibility of a meteor hitting earth tomorrow and there's nothing you can do about it.

Quick Reply