The Student Room Group

Does mental illness count as a disability?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CoolCavy
I wasn't comparing i was giving my own experience and view point :smile:
BPD is not beautiful in any capacity, it can be incredibly destructive to someone's life and relationships and can cause them to become manic and lose mental capacity.
People with mental and physical disabilities should not be batting off against each other and trying to one up one another, doing that achieves nothing. It is far more productive to support one another.

people are born with mental illnesses like BPD. depression happens due to factors in ones life. the former deserves more care than the other in times like this.
Original post by rahmaso
people are born with mental illnesses like BPD. depression happens due to factors in ones life. the former deserves more care than the other in times like this.

You are not born with BPD, it is a combination of genetics and environmental factors, it is a behavioural condition usually developed as a result of abuse as opposed to something like bipolar which is a chemical condition. Depression can be chemical (not enough serotonin in the brain) or circumstantial. I highly suggest you research mental illness as you are saying a number of things that arent true.
I don't deserve anymore care than someone with depression. Mental illness affects everyone in different ways and we are all worthy of support and care. However a particular mental illness is caused is entirely irrelevant, it's the affect that it has on the sufferer that is important. Someone who was had an accident and became paraplegic as a result is entitled to the same care as someone who was born paralysed.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by rahmaso

Just stop
Original post by rahmaso

Incorrect. No ones born with BPD.
BPD is a response to how your primary careers brought you up as a child (eg. Parents)
Infact, many mental illness are triggered by life circumstances, especially trauma. Including psychosises
Original post by Anonymous
How can you compare BPD with schizophrenia though? I don't understand this would make anyone feel better.
The beauty of BPD is that it never causes you to loose capacity. Unfortunately that's not the case for schizophrenia.

The question was whether they counted as a disability.
Original post by username4913556
that is minimising the effect that disabilities like down’s syndrome, autism and blindness have. you can always get better from depression with the right help,

That is utterly nonsensical. It's like saying 'having one leg isn't a disability because it minimises the effect that having no limbs has'. That's just not the case. Most people are capable of understanding that disabilities can be of different severity. And you can't always get better from depression.
I wasn't comparing i was giving my own experience and view point :smile:
BPD is not beautiful in any capacity, it can be incredibly destructive to someone's life and relationships and can cause them to become manic and lose mental capacity.
People with mental and physical disabilities should not be batting off against each other and trying to one up one another, doing that achieves nothing. It is far more productive to support one another.

BPD doesn't cause mania. Ever. If you where truly manic, the differentials would be bipolar-1 and scitzo-effective.
Although BPD does cause transit psycotic symptoms, they are very much distinct from that of mania or psycosis.
Incorrect. No ones born with BPD.
BPD is a response to how your primary careers brought you up as a child (eg. Parents)
Infact, many mental illness are triggered by life circumstances, especially trauma. Including psychosises

Your initial point is correct - BPD does develop during childhood and adolescence. However, it's not necessarily caused by your upbringing. Like all mental disorders, it has both genetic and environmental influences.
idk
Original post by 999tigger
The question was whether they counted as a disability.

Ik, my point was that one of the posts was not fair.
I don't know why you have come after me- there are many other posts that have deviated from the question.
BPD doesn't cause mania. Ever. If you where truly manic, the differentials would be bipolar-1 and scitzo-effective.
Although BPD does cause transit psycotic symptoms, they are very much distinct from that of mania or psycosis.

I'm not sure why you are trying to diminish the experiences of bpd sufferers to be honest. Schizophrenia is awful, so is BPD. It doesnt need to be a competition and i'm not sure why you are trying to make it so or call it beautiful.
People with BPD have reported manic and impulsive symptoms, this isnt something i have experienced personally i am just reporting on what i have read. Mania is also not the only thing that impacts on mental capacity, paranoia, impulsivity, anxiety and suicidal ideation all impact on how clearly someone is able to process things. If BPD had no impact on the mind it would not be a mental illness.
There is absolutely nothing beautiful about BPD and i'm sure you can understand why people would find that offensive. No illness is beautiful, if i could get rid of it in a heart beat i would, however just because i have it doesnt make me less valuable as a person which was my initial point to the original poster.
I feel i have educated people as much as they are willing to listen at this point so i will leave it at that.
(edited 4 years ago)
Ik, my point was that one of the posts was not fair.
I don't know why you have come after me- there are many other posts that have deviated from the question.

You are being paranoid. I merely made a point.
Original post by Knortfoxx
That is utterly nonsensical. It's like saying 'having one leg isn't a disability because it minimises the effect that having no limbs has'. That's just not the case. Most people are capable of understanding that disabilities can be of different severity. And you can't always get better from depression.

You can always get over depression, whether it be from meds or talking therapy. There is always a way to get over it as it's not genetic.
I'm not sure why you are trying to diminish the experiences of bpd sufferers to be honest. Schizophrenia is awful, so is BPD. It doesnt need to be a competition and i'm not sure why you are trying to make it so or call it beautiful.
People with BPD have reported manic and impulsive symptoms, this isnt something i have experienced personally i am just reporting on what i have read.
There is absolutely nothing beautiful about BPD and i'm sure you can understand why people would find that offensive. No illness is beautiful, if i could get rid of it in a heart beat i would, however just because i have it doesnt make me less valuable as a person which was my initial point to the original poster.
I feel i have educated people as much as they are willing to listen at this point so i will leave it at that.

It all depends on how you value importantance. Your value as a human can never be diminished.

You are taking the use of the word beautiful out of context.
The fact that BPD never alone causes the development of thought disorder is beautiful, because through your suffering (or at least through mine), I know that the diagnosis of BPD will not cause that to happen to me. Its a positive. And there is beauty is positives.
And lastly, you clearly state 'manic and impulsive symptoms'. To have a symptom of something is very different from having something.
Oh yeah, I don't deminish BPD, I just think it's so different from schizo (or any mental illness) it's very unhelpful to compare.
Original post by AnonymousNoMore
You can always get over depression, whether it be from meds or talking therapy. There is always a way to get over it as it's not genetic.

Here is an paper that talks about the evidence that depressive disorders are genetic.

Not sure why I'm feeding the troll (as many others already have on this thread), but have you ever heard of treatment-resistant depression? And, how do you know that depression is not genetic? Depression can occur due to environmental factors, genetic factors or both.
Here is an paper that talks about the evidence that depressive disorders are genetic.

So I read a little bit and all it says is that there's a link between genetics and depressive disorder, doesn't actually mean it's genetic. Just like being gay, no proof it's genetic but there is proof. Most likely depressive disorder is a combination and so you can get over it.
Original post by Quick-use
Not sure why I'm feeding the troll (as many others already have on this thread), but have you ever heard of treatment-resistant depression? And, how do you know that depression is not genetic? Depression can occur due to environmental factors, genetic factors or both.

Treatment resistance depression I hadn't heard of in actuality. And there's no proof depression is genetic as I am discussing with another user.
I've just read a bit about treatment resistant depression and it seems it's just resistant to normal treatments.
And don't call me a troll, it just makes you look ignorant.
So I read a little bit and all it says is that there's a link between genetics and depressive disorder, doesn't actually mean it's genetic. Just like being gay, no proof it's genetic but there is proof. Most likely depressive disorder is a combination and so you can get over it.

You think you can get over things that aren't 100% genetic. And your example of something that's not 100% genetic is... being gay. Are you suggesting that you can get over being gay? Also, that's not correct. For example, having your legs cut off in a car accident is 0% genetic, but you can't get over that.
You think you can get over things that aren't 100% genetic. And your example of something that's not 100% genetic is... being gay. Are you suggesting that you can get over being gay? Also, that's not correct. For example, having your legs cut off in a car accident is 0% genetic, but you can't get over that.

I don't think you can get over being gay now, because it is about behaviour you cannot control. It stems from other factors, which you cannot control.
And its not only genetics that mean you can't get over somethings, it was just the first thought that came to my head if I'm honest.

Quick Reply

Latest