The Student Room Group

Failed first PGCE placement

I'm a mature student, after several years working and travelling decided to finally give teaching a go.
Firstly, the academic content we've been taught has been nearly irrelevant, everyone on the course agrees on this.
But the main issue is I failed the first placement.
I never felt comfortable with the teacher, and a bit out of place at the school, but put this down to my own fears and got on with it.
The initial days there, I was really just floating support, I would pritt stick in learning objectives. When it was time for me to teach, I seriously struggled with lesson planning.
No one has taught me how to do it. I assumed the uni, then I assumed the school, then I assumed online...but nothing really. I mentioned this on my first week of full placement, and the teacher said I'd be put down as struggling, so I put up, shut up.
2nd week in, I was exhausted and contacted my tutor to say I couldn't finish an assignment as I was overwhelmed thinking of lessons. They immediately told the school (without my knowledge) so I felt like it blew up without me having a chance to get my bearings. This obviously will have irritated her, as the HT said I should have had access to school resources and said she knew by CBT could be sharp with people.
I still struggled, I was working til 12-1am each night, getting to school for 7. I genuinely thought I was losing the plot, as every piece of advice I took on, the next day I was told something else. I never had correct behaviour policy modelled either.
I had to keep a diary of the advice I was getting, and realised I was being told different things on different days.
I was CfC at the end of the first part, and fair enough, I wasn't coping. When I got back to uni, the stories I heard of other students, the help they got, what the got away with, I realised mine was veeeery strict.
I emailed my tutor again on Xmas break, as I was so stressed I actually had a seizure for the first time in a year, and asked for anxiety meds at the thought of seeing her.
Against my judgement, this was discussed at the school.
I was still working til 1am every night, but as I was taking on more timetable, I saw this as an improvement. But it was still the same contradictory modelling and advice. It blew up on the last day, where I felt I had followed advice, used the correct policy, but she told me to leave the school. I mentioned to HT I had this diary I needed to discuss and she kicked off, saying I was twisting people's words and that's why no-one's liked you....
Every job I've ever had, no one would describe me like this.
Sooooo, after uni basically said they would have to side with the school, which is infuriating, they're giving me a second chance at a school 2 hours away.
I am paranoid as hell about trying again. My friends have seen me teach some lessons since and said I was fine. My new mentor has seen me teach and said it was a great lesson (having a meltdown inside my head of all the things I thought had gone wrong).
Sorry for the diatribe, but has anyone had the same thing? I'm terrified to move to a new town, when emotionally I've had the stuffing knocked out of me. But from what friends and this new teacher has said it seems I might be OK.
Before I get trolled, I know taking criticism is part of the job, I hope my description has shown it was more power trippy than that.
If anything just helps to have it blurted out.
Sorry to hear that you failed your first placement. It very much depends on your fit with the school and how the school fits with you. Having had a bad placement recently with an unsupportive teacher, I know how difficult the PGCE can be.

With lesson planning, is there anyone you can talk to at the uni? We had a lesson on lesson planning and whilst, it isn't easy, it might help give you some guidance.

Try to put your experience behind you and learn what you can from it. A new school will bring new opportunities as well as challenges and just because you felt overwhelmed in this placement, doesn't mean you will in your new placement. Are you going into your placement soon? With the COVID-19, it's all rather uncertain at my university.
Original post by Muserock
Sorry to hear that you failed your first placement. It very much depends on your fit with the school and how the school fits with you. Having had a bad placement recently with an unsupportive teacher, I know how difficult the PGCE can be.

With lesson planning, is there anyone you can talk to at the uni? We had a lesson on lesson planning and whilst, it isn't easy, it might help give you some guidance.

Try to put your experience behind you and learn what you can from it. A new school will bring new opportunities as well as challenges and just because you felt overwhelmed in this placement, doesn't mean you will in your new placement. Are you going into your placement soon? With the COVID-19, it's all rather uncertain at my university.

Thanks, it was due to start soon, I'd had a few weeks getting to know the class, but like you say with COVID now, who knows when the schools will be open again. I had spoken to them about planning, they couldn't really get past generics. But from 'group' lessons we had to plan with a few other students I realised how high strung my expectations were. Looking at it from my mentor's view they were rubbish, but they got good feedback when running through them, so I'm trying to reorientate. It's just hard telling myself to ignore this teacher who really didn't know how to support a new student, only how to berate.
I had the same thing. it sounds like you're doing really well. My advice would be to try to think about if there was anything that the teacher had a point with and reflect on those. I know it is hard but if there are particular areas that you know you struggle with, maybe taking some time to look at those areas beforehand.
Hi,

Thanks for responses everyone!
I'm trying to get my username changed, but I kept searching forums for similar situations and nothing quite fitted with mine and needed a vent.
My headteacher was my university link, as well as my tutor. So it's meant to go my teacher > headteacher > tutor. Really think it went downhill from that first email I sent to my tutor and then being halfway through the school day, being called up on it. Not the best way to process it correctly. I didn't realise how cut throat a school would be, I'm getting such a different vibe from the new teacher.
I did give my own feedback on lesson observations...but in the sense I could see the contradictions of what I was being shown and told to do versus their feedback. I assume they're more used to 21 year olds out of university who wouldn't call that out and that was irritating them more.
I did speak to the Students Union, they said I could complain down the guidance route, in that there is a list three pages long of what is expected of a student, but very little as to what to expect at a placement school. I'm still in shock of how others describe their placements. Essentially the complaint would mainly be about the placement school and that's not much the university would discuss with me on their side.
I have put my point across about how I felt it had been dealt with, I appreciate them 'giving me a second chance' but there was nothing more than a shrug of shoulders and 'let's move forward'. I really wanted some recognition at the very least that I had some valid points.
I knew I was still failing some of the standards with my previous observation a week before, but it was a full 'not meeting' decided, on my 2nd last day by the teacher and the head. I was distraught and ordered off the premises with no concern as to where I was going or what I would do. I had to get home in floods of tears.
I never complained about the long hours even though my family were alarmed at what I was doing, and I just really hope it pays off at the next school. I've already told my new adviser that I'm paranoid about what I can ask for help about. Genuinely feel like, intentionally or not I've been gaslighted.
I know I could defer, but with COVID think I'm getting that breathing space anyway as much as it's god awful. And I know to quit before I might fail again. I was so excited to start last September, now I'm trying to remember why.
I'm sorry to hear that you've been through this- it does sound like a really difficult situation.

From your original post, it sounds like your uni discussed details of your seizure and anxiety with the school without your consent? This is very concerning to me, as in no way should they be sharing your medical details with anyone without your consent.

However, other than medical information, you do have to assume anything you share with your uni tutor will be shared with school. Your uni tutor is not really there as someone to offload to, they are someone who makes sure you are getting the right support in school, so if you tell them there is a problem, they are expected to act on it. If you just want to offload, then uni wellbeing services can be a better choice.

It does sound like you were very unsupported with lesson planning both before placement and in school- this must have made things difficult to deal with. No-one should be up until midnight planning, this is totally unsustainable, and there are ways to do it more quickly (partly by stealing everything you can).

It does sound like the school haven't treated you brilliantly, especially on the last day. However, I would just say as a word of advice- whilst on the PGCE or NQT, never call anyone out on their advice or how they are teaching. A lot of the time you will get contradictory advice and feedback, or people who give advice but don't follow it themselves. It's not great, but calling people out on it just gets their back up and makes life difficult for you. Just sit there, smile and nod, and then do the best you can next lesson!

The PGCE is a really tough process, and a lot of people really struggle at one placement but do fine at another. So much comes down to what your mentor and in-school support are like, unfortunately.

Good Luck going forwards, and I hope you're able to pass whenever you're able to resume placement.

ETA: At my uni, it was against policy to be failed on a standard if you weren't already aware you were failing it and given a chance to improve. Do check policies carefully and you may be able to appeal some/all of the judgement on your previous term.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by SarcAndSpark
I'm sorry to hear that you've been through this- it does sound like a really difficult situation.

From your original post, it sounds like your uni discussed details of your seizure and anxiety with the school without your consent? This is very concerning to me, as in no way should they be sharing your medical details with anyone without your consent.

However, other than medical information, you do have to assume anything you share with your uni tutor will be shared with school. Your uni tutor is not really there as someone to offload to, they are someone who makes sure you are getting the right support in school, so if you tell them there is a problem, they are expected to act on it. If you just want to offload, then uni wellbeing services can be a better choice.

It does sound like you were very unsupported with lesson planning both before placement and in school- this must have made things difficult to deal with. No-one should be up until midnight planning, this is totally unsustainable, and there are ways to do it more quickly (partly by stealing everything you can).

It does sound like the school haven't treated you brilliantly, especially on the last day. However, I would just say as a word of advice- whilst on the PGCE or NQT, never call anyone out on their advice or how they are teaching. A lot of the time you will get contradictory advice and feedback, or people who give advice but don't follow it themselves. It's not great, but calling people out on it just gets their back up and makes life difficult for you. Just sit there, smile and nod, and then do the best you can next lesson!

The PGCE is a really tough process, and a lot of people really struggle at one placement but do fine at another. So much comes down to what your mentor and in-school support are like, unfortunately.

Good Luck going forwards, and I hope you're able to pass whenever you're able to resume placement.

ETA: At my uni, it was against policy to be failed on a standard if you weren't already aware you were failing it and given a chance to improve. Do check policies carefully and you may be able to appeal some/all of the judgement on your previous term.

Thanks, I realise now not to call them out on it, although I still think that's ridiculous. I was genuinely confused as to which way to go with the advice and why I was being criticised for what I saw the teacher doing. The uni could have given me a heads up this is what to expect!
Original post by NeroliTenzing
Thanks, I realise now not to call them out on it, although I still think that's ridiculous. I was genuinely confused as to which way to go with the advice and why I was being criticised for what I saw the teacher doing. The uni could have given me a heads up this is what to expect!

Yeah it is really tough- the PGCE is such a weird situation to be in.

The reality is that no-one can be the perfect teacher all the time, and good mentors get this and explain this. Some mentors know the theory and expect you to be capable of it, whilst making excuses for themselves.

I think it's wrong that the quality of your mentor is so make or break on your PGCE, but it very often is, and unless they are absolutely terrible, the uni will often prioritise their relationship with schools over an individual student's wellbeing- but they obviously don't want to tell you that at the start of the course!

I'm not saying any of this is right, by the way, I just think there are some real problems with the PGCE system.

All I can say is if you get through it, it does get better!
Yeah it is really tough- the PGCE is such a weird situation to be in.

The reality is that no-one can be the perfect teacher all the time, and good mentors get this and explain this. Some mentors know the theory and expect you to be capable of it, whilst making excuses for themselves.

I think it's wrong that the quality of your mentor is so make or break on your PGCE, but it very often is, and unless they are absolutely terrible, the uni will often prioritise their relationship with schools over an individual student's wellbeing- but they obviously don't want to tell you that at the start of the course!

I'm not saying any of this is right, by the way, I just think there are some real problems with the PGCE system.

All I can say is if you get through it, it does get better!

I agree. The PGCE system really does need a rethink to support students more, rather than placement experiences being pot luck.
Thank you both of you, thanks to everyone replying! Taking all my willpower to believe the next one will be better.
I agree. The PGCE system really does need a rethink to support students more, rather than placement experiences being pot luck.

I think it just needs more standardisation, and less relying on mentors who often have a full classload of their own to teach.

I do think that there should be tighter restrictions on who can be a mentor- a lot of people end up with someone who is NQT+2, and while some of these people are awesome, in general, I do think the less experienced the mentor, the more likely you are to have a poor experience (although this isn't always the case).
Original post by NeroliTenzing
Thank you both of you, thanks to everyone replying! Taking all my willpower to believe the next one will be better.

My PGCE was pretty crap throughout, if I am honest, but being an NQT is so much better!
I think it just needs more standardisation, and less relying on mentors who often have a full classload of their own to teach.

I do think that there should be tighter restrictions on who can be a mentor- a lot of people end up with someone who is NQT+2, and while some of these people are awesome, in general, I do think the less experienced the mentor, the more likely you are to have a poor experience (although this isn't always the case).

My PGCE was pretty crap throughout, if I am honest, but being an NQT is so much better!

I agree there should be tighter restrictions on who can be a mentor. Not just in experience but also in whether they are full/part time (I don't think a part time teacher should be a mentor unless there are two that job share and they are equally use to having students) and I think the mentor should have a choice with it. Mine didn't seem to want to have a student and I think it was the school who had informed that class teacher that they were having one.

I'm glad to hear it is much better as an NQT.
I agree there should be tighter restrictions on who can be a mentor. Not just in experience but also in whether they are full/part time (I don't think a part time teacher should be a mentor unless there are two that job share and they are equally use to having students) and I think the mentor should have a choice with it. Mine didn't seem to want to have a student and I think it was the school who had informed that class teacher that they were having one.

I'm glad to hear it is much better as an NQT.

Yeah- I think it can happen that mentoring gets pushed onto people who don't always want it, or feel they can't say no, which is never ideal for the student.

I agree that part-time mentors often aren't ideal as well- job share mentors where both take some responsibility for you sound good.

Also, to be fair to mentors, a lot of them don't get any extra time to take on this responsibility- they ought to get some extra PPA as standard!
University tend to side with schools over the trainee as they want to keep the school on board with them. I went school direct and choose the school I trained at and got lucky with my b placement school who were great as well. Mentors should allow trainees the chance to develop their own style of teaching and not teach their way. Though everything been thrown up in the air now due covid-19. I was doing fine on my training, so hoping I will be awarded QTS. Gutted not to go back to my home school for last part of training. Hoping things get back to normal soon

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending