The Student Room Group

music song writing

I am really struggling to come up with a vod pattern for my gcse peace any ides on any cord progressions??
The most popular chord progression used in pop music, ranging from folk to blues, is IV --> V --> I. So if it was in C major, this would be F major --> G major --> C major.

Circle of 5ths: these could stick to the key that you're in (e.g., if it was in C major, it would go A minor --> D minor --> G major --> C major) or they could all be major (e.g. A major --> D major --> G major --> C major).

Thirds (tertiary relationship): again could be tonal (e.g. E minor --> G major --> C major) more free (e.g. E major --> G major --> C major).

Two things to take into account when making your chord progressions are: to think about how your chords fit with your melody, and how clear your key (tonality) is to the listeners. In order to clarify this, it is useful if you end every verse and chorus with V --> I.
Reply 2
Original post by millie molly moo
I am really struggling to come up with a vod pattern for my gcse peace any ides on any cord progressions??

I always start by picking a key and playing around with the major and minor chords in that key.
So if you're song is in C, I'd play around with C major, D minor, E minor, F major, G major and A minor.

From there, I'd think about adding extensions to the chords.
So instead of (C -> F -> A min -> G) , I might go (C -> F maj7 -> Amin7 -> G7)

I might use a trick called modal interchange, which is where you borrow chords other modes of C, like for example an F minor, or E7.
Maybe something like (C -> E7 -> F -> Fmin)

I might really dial up the jazz harmony and use chord substitutions and diminished chords.
Maybe (Dmin7 -> Db7 -> Cmaj7 -> Gdim7)

Or I might use pedal points and keep some notes the same through the whole progression:
Stealing this one from a Radiohead song - High and Dry: (F#min11 -> Asus2 -> E) keeps a B and an E the same throughout.
Stealing this from a Pink Floyd song - Us And Them: (Dsus2 -> Esus2/D -> Dmin(#7) -> G/D) keeps a D in the bass the whole way.

Or remember that not every song needs a full chord progression, and that going between two chords can work just as well.
I always like (C -> Em)

You can definitely make a chord progression as simple or as complex as you like, and these are a few techniques is you want a particular kind of sound. But ultimately, the think that's most important is how the chords and the melody compliment one another.

Quick Reply

Latest