The Student Room Group

Year 13 gap yr alevel retake medicine help!!!

So I am currently in year 13 and as you all may have known A-levels have been cancelled. When I was in year 12 I wanted to do medicine however my predicted grades did not meet the requirements at all, so I ended up applying for Biomedical Science. I wanted to take a gap year if I did well in my alevel exams and reapply for 2021 entry. However as exams are cancelled and predicted grades and school work will be used, I do not think my grades will be enough. Therefore I am going to take the “sit an exam if you are not happy with you grade as soon as school opens and as reasonably possible” option. My teachers have suggested that this exam will take place in September, however UCAS applications for 2021 entry will close for medicine in October. Will we get our grades straight away after sitting the exam in September or do I have to wait another year and apply in 2022? Please let me know what you think as I am very confused atm and really want to do medicine.
I'm sure they will sort it out so that you can still apply for medicine for 2021 entry. They can't expect you to take 2 gap years.
I’m in the same position as you except I want to apply for dentistry. I assume that if we sit the exam in September the results will come out by November, and I might be wrong but I think the ucas application deadline for med/dent will shift to November/December because submitting it by October will be impossible for most people. Did you manage to get any work experience/volunteering?
Original post by hannahgeo123
I'm sure they will sort it out so that you can still apply for medicine for 2021 entry. They can't expect you to take 2 gap years.

hopefully so
Original post by Deborah247
I’m in the same position as you except I want to apply for dentistry. I assume that if we sit the exam in September the results will come out by November, and I might be wrong but I think the ucas application deadline for med/dent will shift to November/December because submitting it by October will be impossible for most people. Did you manage to get any work experience/volunteering?

I did all work experience possible in year 12 when thinking of doing medicine. Also when do we do our UCAT now then? Because we need to know the September exam dates officially if we want to book our ucat that lasts from july to october. This is all so stressful urgh
In my school here (international) ; i do A levels, in Biology (Oxford AQA), Math (Edexcel) and Business (Edexcel) following the British Curriculum. Here there is an exam in October, where results come out in January, an exam in January, where results come out March, and an exam in May/June, where results come out in August. So here i assume the trend is 3 months for the result ?! So that's how it works here, assuming yours is similar. If not you can try contacting the exam board directly on their website.
I'm pretty certain they will have to adjust the medicine/ oxbridge/ early application courses otherwise their intake would be extremely limited and it owuldnt be fair on your year
Original post by studybuddy1302
I did all work experience possible in year 12 when thinking of doing medicine. Also when do we do our UCAT now then? Because we need to know the September exam dates officially if we want to book our ucat that lasts from july to october. This is all so stressful urgh

I honestly have no idea I don’t think it’s been confirmed yet and I totally agree with you all of this is just so stressful
Hi I called up UCAS.

And they said nothing is set in place but it’s likely that deadlines will be extended overall, and unis will start later then usual.
Original post by Alayna1234
Hi I called up UCAS.

And they said nothing is set in place but it’s likely that deadlines will be extended overall, and unis will start later then usual.

oh omg thats great! thank you so much.
Original post by Deborah247
I honestly have no idea I don’t think it’s been confirmed yet and I totally agree with you all of this is just so stressful

I’m so stressed because last year I was applying with a friend but this year I have no idea what to do as none of my friends are taking a gap year. Do you have a checklist or a routine of what you are going to do and when eg when ur gonna revise for ucat or when you are going to write ur personal statement? Any helpful points??
Original post by studybuddy1302
I’m so stressed because last year I was applying with a friend but this year I have no idea what to do as none of my friends are taking a gap year. Do you have a checklist or a routine of what you are going to do and when eg when ur gonna revise for ucat or when you are going to write ur personal statement? Any helpful points??

I’m thinking of revising the ucat around June but I’m not sure yet because I need to know when the ucat is going to take place and regarding the personal statement I’m thinking of starting it in July. Also don’t worry, even my friends aren’t taking a gap year so I just want to let you know that you’re not the only person who’s in this situation :smile: I sent you a private message by the way.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending