The Student Room Group

MBA

Do you have to have work experience to apply for MBA courses? Also, I want to go into management consulting so does anyone have any advice on how to make my portfolio stronger?
You need at least 2 years of (usually consecutive) full-time employment to even be considered for most MBA courses as it builds on scenarios one has encountered in the workplace. Most people have around 6 years experience which would include some form of management experience.

I think the alternative for you is to look for Masters in Management (MiM) Programme, of which you do not need any experience but will cover most of the core concepts covered in a MBA course. The one's I would recommend to be in management consultancy are the LSE Master's in Management, London Business School MiM or Cambridge's Mphil Management programme for a strong chance at consultancy. Bear in mind, these places will usually want a good 1st at undergrad at a good institution, some leadership/ community exposure, good reference and a good GMAT score (usually >700). Work experience i.e. a BB bank or a boutique start up may also help with admissions at LBS and LSE.

Don't forget, with a MiM you're against undergrads with A*A*A*A* A-Level's, >8A*'s GCSE and a strong 1st. Getting past the screening stage i.e. (computer and human screen) is considered a good start.
Original post by IBDMaster
You need at least 2 years of (usually consecutive) full-time employment to even be considered for most MBA courses as it builds on scenarios one has encountered in the workplace. Most people have around 6 years experience which would include some form of management experience.

I think the alternative for you is to look for Masters in Management (MiM) Programme, of which you do not need any experience but will cover most of the core concepts covered in a MBA course. The one's I would recommend to be in management consultancy are the LSE Master's in Management, London Business School MiM or Cambridge's Mphil Management programme for a strong chance at consultancy. Bear in mind, these places will usually want a good 1st at undergrad at a good institution, some leadership/ community exposure, good reference and a good GMAT score (usually >700). Work experience i.e. a BB bank or a boutique start up may also help with admissions at LBS and LSE.

Don't forget, with a MiM you're against undergrads with A*A*A*A* A-Level's, >8A*'s GCSE and a strong 1st. Getting past the screening stage i.e. (computer and human screen) is considered a good start.

For MiMs, A-levels and GCSEs do not matter. Your uni grades, GMAT and work experience does though.
Original post by xtrembob
For MiMs, A-levels and GCSEs do not matter. Your uni grades, GMAT and work experience does though.

Perhaps I didn't make myself clear enough. In the last paragraph, I was not referring to entry into MiM, of which A-Levels and GCSEs do not matter (and in any case, apart from some graduate entry medicine courses, no postgrad courses look at GCSE's or A-Levels). In the last paragraph, I was referring to management consulting (MC) to which the OP wanted to enter. All Pre-MBA applicants to MC are in the same cohort. So a MiM applicant to a Management consulting firm would be in the same cohort as a undergraduate applicant to management consulting hence the information regarding A-Level and GCSE's still applies and hence the mentioning of "PRE-SCREENING".

The OP needs to decide which institutions he wants to apply to and research thoroughly for effective entry. Not all MiM's care about work experience (where work experience refers to post-degree full-time employment and not an internship - usually this is limited to 1-2 years anyway) and some are academically inclined. For example, Cambridge's doesn't want people with a prior business background and wants a purely academic applicant, with a strong 1st. LBS and LSE care more about prior internships and work experience, but again, academics usually come first in these applications.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 4
Perhaps I didn't make myself clear enough. In the last paragraph, I was not referring to entry into MiM, of which A-Levels and GCSEs do not matter (and in any case, apart from some graduate entry medicine courses, no postgrad courses look at GCSE's or A-Levels). In the last paragraph, I was referring to management consulting (MC) to which the OP wanted to enter. All Pre-MBA applicants to MC are in the same cohort. So a MiM applicant to a Management consulting firm would be in the same cohort as a undergraduate applicant to management consulting hence the information regarding A-Level and GCSE's still applies and hence the mentioning of "PRE-SCREENING".

The OP needs to decide which institutions he wants to apply to and research thoroughly for effective entry. Not all MiM's care about work experience (where work experience refers to post-degree full-time employment and not an internship - usually this is limited to 1-2 years anyway) and some are academically inclined. For example, Cambridge's doesn't want people with a prior business background and wants a purely academic applicant, with a strong 1st. LBS and LSE care more about prior internships and work experience, but again, academics usually come first in these applications.

So for pursuing a career in management consulting a MiM looks better than an MBA?
There is 2+2 deferred admission which you get without any work experience but its highly competitive and its mandatory that you work for 2 years before joining the program. Work experience is mandatory if you do not have an exceptional profile (not a military personal or did not saved a village from extinction or did not save a panda, etc).

2 years minimum experience needed for most good management courses. If you want to enter into the best colleges then a good GMAT or GRE score is preferred.

MiM in my opinion is for younger people whereas MBA is ideal for a person who has about 5 years experience. The best thing to do in my opinion is to work somewhere relevant to management consulting domain, or start some small business related to management consulting. Side by side prepare for GMAT or GRE while you are working. I know people who spent more than 5 years building up their profile, saving money for the program, preparing for GMAT - all for a good MBA admission. The hard work and wait is worth it.

Wish you all the very best for your future.
Reply 6
Why not apply for grad schemes with consulting firms, then do an MBA when you have a bit of experience. The big name MiM courses are very expensive.

Not really, firms give you the benefit of the doubt once you're at a target masters program. I haven't heard of anyone doing a top tier masters program with poorer school grades get dinged solely because of their school grades (that were taken 3-6+ years ago).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending