The Student Room Group

Osteoarthiritis at the age of 17

My finger joints click all the the time and my knee makes a crack sound when they bend. I know how many articles say it is normal but sometimes while walking my knee gets stiff and then I have to bend it/click it to walk smoothly. I don't think this is normal!. Also, after hanging from a pull up bar for like 30 seconds, it hurts my fingers when I close my wrist. Dont know if that is because of wrong grip or weak grip strength. Symptoms like this occur when you have osteoarthritis. But that happens when joints wear and tear due to old age. I am only 17 and joints should be fine.
I met the GP and she said it is not arthiritis because there is no swelling but....
.hypermobility my friend, you can have it in loads of places. try gaining muscle as when you don't have the muscle to do certain motions what happens is the joints take over to do the motion with nothing to keep them in line or position, they then start to rub and wear away again and again and you gain more and more overflexibility and ability to go out of the correct line of motion and then they wear out more and more and you rely more and more on the movement of the joints not the muscle.
, try gaining muscle so that the muscle can take over from the joints. hyperextending knees sometimes have a distinctive look that you can google "banana knees" to see. I would say avoid pullups, they take a lot of strength in the muscles and if your tendons, ligaments, joints connective tissue etc feel it instead of the muscle it means you need to strengthen the muscles and learn to fire them before starting. If you're still keen on pullups search scapular depressions, you can do those (letting your shoulder blade shrug up while hanging then tensing the muscle to force the shoulder blades down), you can also do negative pullups, jumping into the top contracted position of the pullup and then controlling the motion down as far as you still have control and repeating. If you have less muscle its good to practice while your doing exercises to focus squeezing the muscle at the top and only going down part way to where you still feel the muscle work and then just working with that till the muscle increases in size and nerve signal so you can feel it as you go down.
Reply 2
Can you have hypermobility even if your joints dont move back a lot?
Original post by Anonymous
Can you have hypermobility even if your joints dont move back a lot?

its not necessarily about the flexibility in a normal situation im talking when you have to create force what is going to happen is it'll come from using the strength of the connective components e.g. the joints and what that does in some situations is allows excess movement. even if it is slight or very small it causes damage if not regulated by the muscle's protection.

More than hypermobility as a description the opposite can also be caused by the muscles not doing the job, so coming away from hypermobility forget the wording and just know that the powers coming from the wrong place regardless of whether it is hyper or hypo mobility. because due to biomechanical reasons, the case is not going to be the same in every part as they create movement in different ways, you could be hypermobile somewhere and lack flexibility elsewhere to compensate.
Don’t self-diagnose.
Reply 5
Sure thnx
:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest