The Student Room Group

title changed: BTECS are CANCELLED!!! (PLEASE read)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by YasudaSayo
Completing the course under these conditions won’t give me the grade I deserve.

Why? Because you can't motivate yourself to work or because you don't have access to the resources you need? In which case I suggest being proactive about it and contacting your teachers/school.

If you stop trying despite things being a bit harder for you, then you definitely will be getting the grade you deserve.
Reply 81
Original post by Pharyngotympanic
Why? Because you can't motivate yourself to work or because you don't have access to the resources you need? In which case I suggest being proactive about it and contacting your teachers/school.

If you stop trying despite things being a bit harder for you, then you definitely will be getting the grade you deserve.

Dude I already told you

If you dont mind me asking are you currently studying A levels/GCSE or Btec?
Original post by geeko123456
If you dont mind me asking are you currently studying A levels/GCSE or Btec?

I completed my A-levels years ago. Onto my second degree now. Trust me, you have the opportunity to have control of your future so make the most of it.

Dude I already told you

No you didn't you said you replied your reasons to somebody else. Nonetheless, I foung the paragraph you wrote. So I'll reply to a few key points:

"Learning from a powerpoint isn't the same as learning from a lesson. Emailing teachers is not the same level of support that you'd get by seeing them in person."
So you still do have support then? Consider yourself lucky. Time to learn the art of adaptation.

"It's very demotivating that most students can relax for 6-7 months whereas we have to actually earn our grade."
Welcome to the real world kid, life isn't fair. You actually have to earn what you deserve while some other students have their grade given to them. Some of these people are going to feel awful about the fact they can't have the chance to improve their grades, their plans for the future potentially ruined. You have control of your grades. Also, many of those students won't be relaxing for a variety of reasons.

"Some units have mandatory practicals that need to be completed in order to write the assignment."
Well obviously if you can't do the practical aspects, I assume things will be changed round. If they aren't that's something to take up wth your teacher.

"There's hundreds of other reasons that I can't think of off the top of my head because they don't necessarily relate to me."
Don't try to speak on the behalf of others. Some people will put their heads down and deal with situation.

"No one is going to be able to perform as well as they would have under normal circumstances."
That's not true. There will be plenty of people who see an obstacle appear in the distance and will plan a new way round it. Plenty of students will still get the grades they would have otherwise, or better. It happens all the time in situations just as extreme. Some people unfortunately won't due to the circumstances, and others won't because they are lazy unmotivated sods playing the victim game.

"If the government has decided to award predicted grades to everyone, this should be standardised and applied to everyone."
Once again, be grateful you have control of your grades. Unless you were predicted higher than you were ever going to achieve.
(edited 4 years ago)
No you didn't you said you replied your reasons to somebody else. Nonetheless, I foung the paragraph you wrote. So I'll reply to a few key points.

"It's very demotivating that most students can relax for 6-7 months whereas we have to actually earn our grade."
Welcome to the real world kid, life isn't fair. You actually have to earn what you deserve while some other students have their grade given to them. Some of these people are going to feel awful about the fact they can't improve their grades. You have control of your grades.

"Some units have mandatory practicals that need to be completed in order to write the assignment."
Well obviously if you can't do the practical aspects, I assume things will be changed round. If they aren't that's something to take up wth your teacher.

"There's hundreds of other reasons that I can't think of off the top of my head because they don't necessarily relate to me."
Don't try to speak on the behalf of others. Some people will put their heads down and deal with situation.

"No one is going to be able to perform as well as they would have under normal circumstances."
That's not true. There will be plenty of people who see an obstacle appear in the distance and will plan a new way round it. Plenty of students will still get the grades they would have otherwise, or better. It happens all the time in situations just as extreme. Some people unfortunately won't due to the circumstances, and others won't because they are lazy unmotivated sods playing the vitim game.

"If the government has decided to award predicted grades to everyone, this should be standardised and applied to everyone."
Once again, be grateful you have control of your grades. Unless you were predicted higher than you were ever going to achieve.

Sounds cool. Btw i understand ur point and i agree to a certain degree. Also i got a message from a teacher, looks like we're still conpleting assignments.
Sounds cool. Btw i understand ur point and i agree to a certain degree. Also i got a message from a teacher, looks like we're still conpleting assignments.

Just think, when you look at your results, you'll see the result of the effort you put in despite things not going as you thought they would. If you want it, do your best to get it. At least then you will deserve it.
Original post by StressedLife
You BTECs need to calm the hell down, you don’t work HALF as hard as actual A-Level students.

You’re an imbecile. Quite ironic really, as no doubt you do A Levels... :h:
Original post by Coordinate
Please check the title of the thread, Btecs have actually been cancelled. More details in the link provided from Edexcel.

The statement is extremely vague and doesn't even touch on coursework and such, plus many colleges are still saying that btecs are not cancelled
Just think, when you look at your results, you'll see the result of the effort you put in despite things not going as you thought they would. If you want it, do your best to get it. At least then you will deserve it.

The fact that this hasn't been mentioned to you is astounding after reading all of your replies... You can still sit the exam if you're not happy with the grade you got from your teacher. That's the part which is infuriating. Stop playing the "at least you earned it" card when a level students get a free pass and if they don't like what they get, still get to sit their exams, while we get limited support (because guess what? You actually do need support when you're doing units you've never done before) only get one shot at it, if we fail it's basically over and have to essentially take it on the chin or for some of us get knocked straight out of our chances of getting into our desired unis... But I would expect someone like you to understand with your a level superiority complex.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by IDKWhatTdo
The fact that this hasn't been mentioned to you is astounding after reading all of your replies... You can still sit the exam if you're not happy with the grade you got from your teacher. That's the part which is infuriating. Stop playing the "at least you earned it" card when a level students get a free pass and if they don't like what they get, still get to sit their exams, while we get limited support (because guess what? You actually do need support when you're doing units you've never done before) only get one shot at it, if we fail it's basically over and have to essentially take it on the chin or for some of us get knocked straight out of our chances of getting into our desired unis... But I would expect someone like you to understand with your a level superiority complex.

Resits bring a whole load of problems and there will still be A-levels students who will go through exactly the same thing if they fail the resits. I never said A-levels were better than BTECs, maybe you're trying to project your insecurities on me. I said be grateful that your path is less complicated than those who have to sit A-levels.
Resits bring a whole load of problems and there will still be A-levels students who will go through exactly the same thing if they fail the resits. I never said A-levels were better than BTECs, maybe you're trying to project your insecurities on me. I said be grateful that your path is less complicated than those who have to sit A-levels.

1) I don't know what insecurities you're talking about considering I'm on track for a D*D*D* in my course
2) what problems do resits bring? You don't like your grade, you can resit and pick between the 2.
3) our path is way more complicated due to getting zero support from our teachers and essentially take it on the chin while a level students are getting spoon-fed. We all know there are going to be students who don't deserve a single high grade getting all of their a levels while we have a huge obstacle in our path which can easily be removed by giving us the same treatment as a level students.
“We have decided to pause all BTEC standards verification activity.”

Does this mean coursework has stopped? Or are they still referring to exams?
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by IDKWhatTdo

Brilliantly said 👏🙌
Reply 94
Original post by Hazelly
“We have decided to pause all BTEC standards verification activity.”

Does this mean coursework has stopped? Or are they still referring to exams?

omfg why cant they just say it clearly.....
omfg why cant they just say it clearly.....

Exactly, it’s frustrating.
That article only talks about externap assesments, not internal

Thing is thought they referred to BTEC standards verification activity which I'm pretty sure is select BTEC work on units getting sent off to Pearson to be checked - which is generally coursework.
That article only talks about externap assesments, not internal

Yes and no, the post that I’ve put above this is referring to both I am assuming. I may be wrong though!
Original post by constantdisp
Thing is thought they referred to BTEC standards verification activity which I'm pretty sure is select BTEC work on units getting sent off to Pearson to be checked - which is generally coursework.

yep, my thoughts to that as well!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending