The Student Room Group

Probation Officer application 2020

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jademichaela
I had my assessment centre on the 18th but in Buckingham. I haven’t heard back yet but hopefully I’m not waiting too much longer 😌 congratulations too!!

I wouldn't worry too much, they seem to be all over the place with alerts and messages at the moment, I was sent the same message about 4 times in one day 😂 I also think that now other assesments are being postponed they may be holding off on any other offers until they can finish assesments but it would be nice of them to let everyone know. I know I'm incredibly anxious now waiting for the pre employment checks to be completed...this is the most nervous I have been!! I will try and keep this updated with anymore messages or alerts I recieve to indicate to people what to maybe expect 😊
Original post by LouiseR85
I wouldn't worry too much, they seem to be all over the place with alerts and messages at the moment, I was sent the same message about 4 times in one day 😂 I also think that now other assesments are being postponed they may be holding off on any other offers until they can finish assesments but it would be nice of them to let everyone know. I know I'm incredibly anxious now waiting for the pre employment checks to be completed...this is the most nervous I have been!! I will try and keep this updated with anymore messages or alerts I recieve to indicate to people what to maybe expect 😊

Yeah I think things are a bit up in the air at the moment but would be nice for those who have had there assessment centre to know if they are successful or not 😅 but yeah if you could update as much as you can that would be appreciated because I haven’t received a single email about anything 😅

Can I be cheeky and ask what score you got and what area you are going for?
Original post by SarahCMTS
Can I be cheeky and ask what score you got and what area you are going for?

Of course 😂 I got 82% and have applied for midlands either derby or nottingham. I was very doubtful that I did well in everything but it just shows that less is more in terms of the written assesment and interview! I finished about 5 mins before exam ended and actually sat there crapping myself because everyone was still writing and I had only written a page and a half for each question lol how did you do and where did you apply for?
Yeah I think things are a bit up in the air at the moment but would be nice for those who have had there assessment centre to know if they are successful or not 😅 but yeah if you could update as much as you can that would be appreciated because I haven’t received a single email about anything 😅

Will do 😊 by the looks of it,unless you failed miserably it looks like all that did assesment will be placed on the holding list. Will just be a matter of where we fall in the list I guess. Got my fingers crossed for all of us as the country needs some good probation officers right about now, especially now imprisonment may be on the rise 😂
(edited 4 years ago)
Of course 😂 I got 82% and have applied for midlands either derby or nottingham. I was very doubtful that I did well in everything but it just shows that less is more in terms of the written assesment and interview! I finished about 5 mins before exam ended and actually sat there crapping myself because everyone was still writing and I had only written a page and a half for each question lol how did you do and where did you apply for?

I didn't finish my written test and wrote about 5 pages all in, I was panicking awhen they said 5 minutes remaining!
Interview I used the total time
Role play I finished both in about 4 minutes each

I got 88% and applied for Birmingham or Derby.

I really don't know what they are looking for as everyone seems to have had a completely different experience! But Yayyy to us & good luck to everyone else too :-)
Original post by SarahCMTS
I didn't finish my written test and wrote about 5 pages all in, I was panicking awhen they said 5 minutes remaining!
Interview I used the total time
Role play I finished both in about 4 minutes each

I got 88% and applied for Birmingham or Derby.

I really don't know what they are looking for as everyone seems to have had a completely different experience! But Yayyy to us & good luck to everyone else too :-)

When did you have your assessment centre? I’ve applied for Leicester and Derby! Congratulations on being successful!! 😌
When did you have your assessment centre? I’ve applied for Leicester and Derby! Congratulations on being successful!! 😌

16th in Birmingham

Thank you 😊
Original post by MPQZ
I'm unsure, I think I did well on the written as I actually finished it and the others on the day said they ran out of time. Not sure with the role plays or interview to be honest. Hope we hear soon, Im no good at waiting!

Have you heard back yet?🙂
Reply 29
Have you heard back yet?🙂

I got through, very happy!

Have you heard anything? I'm assuming the call centre is closed at the moment but you never know
Original post by MPQZ
I got through, very happy!

Have you heard anything? I'm assuming the call centre is closed at the moment but you never know

Congratulations!! Did they e-mail you or phone you?
I haven’t heard back yet! Hoping sometime this week!
I passed too!!😃😃
Reply 32
Hi, just wanted to know about your initial application. How did you find it and what were the questions like
Reply 33
Original post by Zay13
Hi, just wanted to know about your initial application. How did you find it and what were the questions like

Hiya!

The initial application takes a while, so be sure to get aside a couple hours to get all your thoughts in order. It was some general questions regarding your background, education, etc to make sure you qualify for the role. Then it's a series of essay-type answers where they ask you to write in detail about different scenarios and how you handle them. Things like times you had to make a difficult decision, times you handled conflict at work, times you've dealt with individuals with challenging behaviour, etc.
Then there was an app to download. I played it for around 45 minutes or so, and when it was completed it created a personality profile (somehow), which was emailed to us to look over.
Overall, it was a pretty long application that required a lot of time and thought. It wasn't necessarily difficult because they were just looking for applicants to be themselves. It was interesting though! Unlike any application I'd ever had before.

I hope this helps!
Completely agree with jorkinn. Best advice is to be yourself as they aren't looking for you to tick boxes, they want to see what skills you can bring from outside the job. Take your time with it and persist, there will be times when you will think to yourself your never going to make it, but keep at it. It's a bit of a long process but worth it in the end! Assesment day had to be the best part for me, I was very nervous but by the end of it, I wanted to do it again! I applied in January and I'm about to start next month, have faith in your abilities and it will show through on your application :smile:
Reply 35
Hey, what was the written exam about? I have mine next week and this is the one I’m most confused on. Do they give you a case to work with? Mines virtual so that’s making me more nervous as I won’t be able to highlight anything on paper. Also how was the role play?
Reply 36
Hiya (sorry it's not letting me quote/reply directly for some reason).
It wasn't so much a written exam as it was a bit of report writing. They gave a case to work with, then we needed to use the information to write suggestions for the offender. It isn't anything to worry about, they make it clear that knowledge of probation work isn't necessary. Mine was virtual as well, but you can have a piece of paper to take notes on the case if you want to instead of highlighting.
The role play was interesting! A bit intense, but they're just looking for your natural reactions instead of acting the way you think they'll want you to. You get the sense that they're just looking at you as a person and your natural attributes. This actually took a lot of the edge off for me because I got the sense that if I didn't get through, the job wouldn't have been right for me anyway.
Reply 37
Hey thanks so much for the response! Ok so the written report writing is that a case of first person saying “i believe we should do XYZ?” Ah the role play is scaring me the most! I’ve prepared so much for the interview but the actual role play how do you even prepare for that?! :/ so nervous! Isit just you (as the PO) then the acting offender on zoom and they’re showing difficult behaviour and they’re watching how you respond? Thanks so much for the advice
Reply 38
Yep, that's exactly it! They walk you through the types of things that you should include in the report so you should be totally fine if you read all the instructions. For the role play, they give you 5 minutes to read a little about the background of the offender you're about to talk to. Things like the relationship you have with them, the current issue they're struggling with, etc. then you're thrown in with an actor to work through it with you. Then they're just watching your responses. I'm not sure how you could prepare for it tbh other than just psyching yourself up to realise an actor is going to be blatantly hostile to your face haha.
My pleasure! Let me know if you have any other questions
Reply 39
Original post by jorkinn
Yep, that's exactly it! They walk you through the types of things that you should include in the report so you should be totally fine if you read all the instructions. For the role play, they give you 5 minutes to read a little about the background of the offender you're about to talk to. Things like the relationship you have with them, the current issue they're struggling with, etc. then you're thrown in with an actor to work through it with you. Then they're just watching your responses. I'm not sure how you could prepare for it tbh other than just psyching yourself up to realise an actor is going to be blatantly hostile to your face haha.
My pleasure! Let me know if you have any other questions

Oh god ok I’ll try my best not to absolutely freak out! With regards to the interview questions, are they similar to the ones in the application form? Can you repeat the same examples or will they ask for differenr ones? Also Isit just one person interviewing you the whole time or how does it work? Ahh super nervous but maybe it’s a good thing it’s virtual so I can have notes

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending