The Student Room Group

Prince Charles has the Coronavirus

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52033845

Can't help but feeling its totally unfair that celebrities and wealthy people are allowed a test but the workers are denied one.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ferrograd
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52033845

Can't help but feeling its totally unfair that celebrities and wealthy people are allowed a test but the workers are denied one.

According to Sky news he got the test because he was in the category that qualifies for testing, ie over 70 & displaying symptoms.

Sky used the term a potential royal to royal transmission as he met with the prince of Monaco recently (who also has the virus...)

The reality is at this point in time, 'we' cant test everyone and hence have to have a system to decide, but you are correct being famous shouldn't put you at the front of the cue (but no doubt there would be an inherent pressure on the person on the ground making the judgment call if a royal qualifies for a test or not).
They are desperately trying to ramp up testing, but they have to spend time getting the right type of tests in place and get volume up, I know of a research lab at my uni which has converted other biomedical testing equipment into coronavirus testing equipment and given it to the government but the reality is when they want to do 100,000s of test daily this cant happen magically, it will take some time to get this in place.
Original post by mnot
According to Sky news he got the test because he was in the category that qualifies for testing, ie over 70 & displaying symptoms.

Sky used the term a potential royal to royal transmission as he met with the prince of Monaco recently (who also has the virus...)

The reality is at this point in time, 'we' cant test everyone and hence have to have a system to decide, but you are correct being famous shouldn't put you at the front of the cue (but no doubt there would be an inherent pressure on the person on the ground making the judgment call if a royal qualifies for a test or not).
They are desperately trying to ramp up testing, but they have to spend time getting the right type of tests in place and get volume up, I know of a research lab at my uni which has converted other biomedical testing equipment into coronavirus testing equipment and given it to the government but the reality is when they want to do 100,000s of test daily this cant happen magically, it will take some time to get this in place.

Yeh, they re doing antibody tests to assert who has had it and will start to have some reesulst by the end of the week from what I've heard. Why does it have to be charles though, he's the only one of them I actually like
Original post by Ferrograd
Yeh, they re doing antibody tests to assert who has had it and will start to have some reesulst by the end of the week from what I've heard. Why does it have to be charles though, he's the only one of them I actually like

Its a probability game, they meet & shake hands with many many more people than most hence are at increased risk.
Why Charles, nature doesn't discriminate.
As mentioned above, he was tested because he's in a vulnerable age group. Those who are unwell in hospital are also tested, as it can help to aim their treatment at the right level (i.e. if they have something else, there might be a targeted treatment that would work better).

Those of us who get it, and can recover quietly at home, do not need a test. We just need to sit it out and be patient.

I feel the vast majority of people who scream for tests do so because they want the status symbol of having survived the deadly coronavirus, and without the test they will never truly be sure. You don't need to know which virus you have, just take sensible precautions in looking after yourself if you have symptoms, you will most likely recover with no complications, and if there are issues, THEN you will be hospitalised and tested. Testing for the sake of it at home is pointless and expensive.
He was tested due to his age group, and having symptoms requiring a test. Steve with a cough at home in Barnstable doesn’t need a test.
Original post by Andrew97
He was tested due to his age group, and having symptoms requiring a test. Steve with a cough at home in Barnstable doesn’t need a test.

I know many old ppl who weren't tested lol it's cos he's rich and royalty...
Original post by Bang Outta Order
I know many old ppl who weren't tested lol it's cos he's rich and royalty...

Have they shown symptoms though?
1) It says he was tested because he met criteria in Aberdeen
2) However, he travelled to Scotland once the rest of the nation was told to stay at home
3) He has MILD symptoms, do what the rest of the public are doing and self-isolating for seven days. We have NHS workers who can't get tested but the rich and famous can??
Original post by Andrew97
Have they shown symptoms though?

What. The point is that every old person on the planet wasn't subpoenaed to the hospital and tested...nor simply for being old. It's either false propaganda that he got it, or he got special treatment lol
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox

Those of us who get it, and can recover quietly at home, do not need a test. We just need to sit it out and be patient.

I feel the vast majority of people who scream for tests do so because they want the status symbol of having survived the deadly coronavirus, and without the test they will never truly be sure. You don't need to know which virus you have, just take sensible precautions in looking after yourself if you have symptoms, you will most likely recover with no complications, and if there are issues, THEN you will be hospitalised and tested. Testing for the sake of it at home is pointless and expensive.

Exactly, for an average healthy individual testing makes no difference whatsoever. A diagnosis is only really important to target treatment as you say and since Corona can't be cured and is treated much the same as normal flu for those midly affected, the vast majority of the population don't need testing.
Hope he recovers ...
Original post by CoolCavy
Exactly, for an average healthy individual testing makes no difference whatsoever. A diagnosis is only really important to target treatment as you say and since Corona can't be cured and is treated much the same as normal flu for those midly affected, the vast majority of the population don't need testing.

The vast majority do need testing. Iceland found that 50% of positive cases have no symptoms at all. That means people could be going out shopping etc having a chance to infect people thinking they're completely fine. When the country starts to open up again we need to test random people to make sure there is no huge outbreak again.
Original post by Bang Outta Order
What. The point is that every old person on the planet wasn't subpoenaed to the hospital and tested...nor simply for being old. It's either false propaganda that he got it, or he got special treatment lol

It's neither. He's in the at risk category, and showed symptoms. Anybody else in the same situation would get the same reaction.

Most things aren't conspiracies.
Original post by MrMusician95
The vast majority do need testing. Iceland found that 50% of positive cases have no symptoms at all. That means people could be going out shopping etc having a chance to infect people thinking they're completely fine. When the country starts to open up again we need to test random people to make sure there is no huge outbreak again.

Everyone should be avoiding contact as much as possible anyway since we are in lockdown, we don't have the resources to test every single person in the country.
Everyone should be avoiding contact as much as possible anyway since we are in lockdown, we don't have the resources to test every single person in the country.

Of course but I could have it right now and be infectious, but if I am not showing symptoms and go grocery shopping I could infect someone.
Of course but I could have it right now and be infectious, but if I am not showing symptoms and go grocery shopping I could infect someone.

Which is unfortunately inevitable, people need grocery shopping. Plenty of people live alone without friends or family nearby and don't have people to do their shopping. Shops are implementing measures such as gloves and Plexi glass screens but a certain element of risk will always be present so long as people require food. That is why the government are saying to go grocery shopping as infrequently as possible.
Which is unfortunately inevitable, people need grocery shopping. Plenty of people live alone without friends or family nearby and don't have people to do their shopping. Shops are implementing measures such as gloves and Plexi glass screens but a certain element of risk will always be present so long as people require food. That is why the government are saying to go grocery shopping as infrequently as possible.

Agreed, but as I said, what happens when the lockdown ends and restrictions are loosened? The only way to ensure another huge outbreak doesn't happen is testing.
Original post by Drewski
It's neither. He's in the at risk category, and showed symptoms. Anybody else in the same situation would get the same reaction.

Most things aren't conspiracies.

Oh I'm...I'm sorry. I didn't know you were a part of the royal family and knew everything as a fact. Until then, we can only speculate.

Most speculations arent conspiracies.
Reply 19

Not if you and other people follow the guidelines on social distancing, coughing and sneezing and hand-washing.
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending