The Student Room Group

Civil Service Direct Appointment Scheme 2020

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
There’s absolutely no chance DAS will be issued anytime soon. We’re amidst a global pandemic and the country is shutting down.

When would we start? Where? How could they train anyone?

I think we’ve genuinely hit the biggest batch of bad luck ever 😭😂😂
Reply 82
Original post by jg2012
There’s absolutely no chance DAS will be issued anytime soon. We’re amidst a global pandemic and the country is shutting down.

When would we start? Where? How could they train anyone?

I think we’ve genuinely hit the biggest batch of bad luck ever 😭😂😂

I know...I had the slightest hope that they would desperately need more staff to deal with it and hire through DAS...I can dream 😂
Original post by 3096
I know...I had the slightest hope that they would desperately need more staff to deal with it and hire through DAS...I can dream 😂

Same and I am still hopeful but it is dwindling.

They can issue results back to the FSB guys who were successful because that’s minimal work. They also don’t start for many many months. Whereas someone in DAS May start sooner.

I think it will be summer before we hear it I’m honest. 🙃🙃
Original post by jg2012
Same and I am still hopeful but it is dwindling.

They can issue results back to the FSB guys who were successful because that’s minimal work. They also don’t start for many many months. Whereas someone in DAS May start sooner.

I think it will be summer before we hear it I’m honest. 🙃🙃

I don't think DAS start that early usually, some from last year didn't start till November-ish, and I expect a lot of Civil Servants, including Fast Stream/DAS people, have been seconded into more vital areas to deal with Coronavirus.

Jobs seem to have really dried up on Civil Service jobs too.
Original post by Lewis31m
I don't think DAS start that early usually, some from last year didn't start till November-ish, and I expect a lot of Civil Servants, including Fast Stream/DAS people, have been seconded into more vital areas to deal with Coronavirus.

Jobs seem to have really dried up on Civil Service jobs too.

I know, the job offers from previous years were staggered. However there were jobs offered early on and some starting during the summer.

Never know though, they could offer EoI and then leave it til things quieten before beginning to hire properly.

I’m not entirely bothered because they have bigger fish to fry at the moment.

The issue is that if it stretches on for so long, we may have the FS for 2020/21 starting and so how long does DAS for 2020 stay open?
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 86
I’m waiting to hear from DAS, but I’ve also been applying through the mainstream too. Thought I’d share in case it’s helpful to anyone.

I had applied for a policy role with DfE, recruitment for which has been suspended indefinitely, and project management role with Defra, which is still going ahead, although with slight delays. So mainstream recruitment is still happening, but only for certain roles.

Don’t know what this means for DAS exactly, all I can say is I haven’t lost all hope.
On the note of recruitment delays etc.: I was hired for a role at the HM Land Registry with a start date on April 27th (have a place on FS so will be working this role until then). I was hired before the country started shutting down due to corona, but by the sounds of it they are still intending on going ahead with my start date despite the offices being closed. By the sounds of it the aim is to get me through induction processes etc through working from home. So while some movement might have slowed down the Civil Service also does appear to aim to keep moving ahead with recruitment etc despite the crazy times atm. No idea if this will relate to DAS but I wouldn't lose hope of hearing soon etc yet if I were you.
Hi all. I joined the civil service on the DAS in November 2017 as an HEO and have just accepted an offer to move to Cabinet Office as a G7.Happy to answer any questions.

During this time I was an HEO (1 year) SEO (current substantive)and temporary G7 (last 7 months)
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 89
How were you able to move around/be promoted so quickly?
(edited 4 years ago)
In my first year I led briefing and parliamentary business for my directorate which massively expanded (I was doing what was a G7 role in other directorates) and managed a team at EO. I moved into a strategy directorate and got given high profile projects for the DG and ExCo which I led and presented myself. My manager went on parental leave and I've gotten to cover for 7 months at G7 managing a team of an HEO and SEO and now I've just been successful applying to cabinet office at G7 with these experiences.
This was across two different departments.

I was determined from the start to create my own version of the fast stream after failing to get on it 3 times, and have pitched and asked for opportunities throughout.

My next plan is to get on the future leaders scheme for G7 and G6 with SCS potential in their 2021 or 2022 cohort.

I expect to undertake about 3 years at G7 over two roles before aiming to move up to G6 by the end of 2023.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Maybeno
Thank you so much for sharing that’s - this is massively inspirational - and it’s good to see that motivation and self drive can get you far! Good luck with your journey, wishing you all the best.

Plus you get paid more (if HEO) and don't have the risk of having to geographically move on DAS, which is good too.

Fast stream, in my opinion, is hugely overrated. If you're ambitious you will succeed if you actively work on your own development. Fast streamers get that development support handed to them.
Reply 92
Anyone one know the minimum starting salary for EO and HEO roles both in and out of London? Guessing starting salary non negotiable for DAS?
Original post by 3096
Anyone one know the minimum starting salary for EO and HEO roles both in and out of London? Guessing starting salary non negotiable for DAS?

It depends on which department you go into.
You can find out about pay grades and salary bands here: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/grade-and-salary-bands

If you google 'Civil Service HEO Salary' or 'Civil Service SEO Salary' you'll get the exact breakdowns for those two grades coming up (the above lumps them in together).
The absolute highest 'generalist' HEO starting salary would be a HEO Private Secretary in Home Office in London (I think) Since it would be £33,969 plus £6000 private secretary allowance according to the internal civil service jobs website.

HEO Scientific officers (quite rare) and HEO auditors are also usually between 37-40k depending on department.Generalists are 27,500 - 34k depending on region and department.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 96
Thanks all! Suprised by how much variation there is between departments
Has anyone managed to get a response by emailing the DAS email? As in, is the email address actually monitored by anyone?
Original post by Named User
You can find out about pay grades and salary bands here: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/grade-and-salary-bands

If you google 'Civil Service HEO Salary' or 'Civil Service SEO Salary' you'll get the exact breakdowns for those two grades coming up (the above lumps them in together).

That's just for HMT, which I'm pretty sure is one of the departments with the lowest pay.

The best way of knowing the bands in each department is by looking at Civil Service Jobs and keeping a record.
Got my feedback - 16 for PD. The pass mark was seemingly 16.25 :frown: Good news is that they have said I am suitable for HEO DAS, so hopefully get something back soon!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending