The Student Room Group

Should antibiotics be reserved for humans ?

Please help me write an essay I would genuinely appreciate it?
Original post by Kueno Oscar

What do you mean?

Should we only use antibiotics on humans or we should only test antibiotics on humans and not animals? Or both?
Original post by Capitalist_Lamb
What do you mean?

Should we only use antibiotics on humans or we should only test antibiotics on humans and not animals? Or both?

Dunno it’s an essay question ?

Just do a google search of that question and you'll probably find a hundred articles and information about it. You'd probably even find people who have done essays on this topic before which you could read for ideas.
Reply 4

If you don't know what the question means, how do you expect to get answers for it?
Reply 5

i swear this is like your 2nd or 3rd "help me write an essay" thread
More context....what do you study, what have you just been learning about
Animal antibiotics and human antibiotics are very different.

You aren't going to be giving newborn children Watery Mouth pills meant for newborn lambs.
Original post by DiddyDec
You aren't going to be giving newborn children Watery Mouth pills meant for newborn lambs.

Why not? they can't tell anyone? :tongue:
Original post by DiddyDec
Animal antibiotics and human antibiotics are very different.

Seconded. I keep tropical fish and the antibiotics used for treating fish illness are totally different. Most of them are blanket anti-organism compounds that not only kill the pathogen but also potentially hurt the fish in the process, as well as possibly killing beneficial bacteria and organisms in the water column that then lead to algae blooms or annoying discolouring bacteria blooms, which is also a problem in human antibiotics as far as killing healthy gut bacteria goes. A lot of the stronger ones that are needed to treat infections that show resistance to standard antiseptics are also toxic to invertebrates (so all your beneficial snails and shrimp die) and plants (which are a huge help in eating nitrate). There's also no guarantee that it will work against the specific pathogen causing the illness, so if you've got a bacterium like Pseudomonas aeruginosa causing problems you're gonna be hard-pressed to find a treatment. Fish TB, which is caused by similar bacteria to the ones that cause human TB, is considered to be incurable because the long, extensive antibiotic treatments for Mycobacteria just aren't available and won't really work in fish. The only human medication I can liken them to is antidepressants.
(edited 4 years ago)
Thirding what everyone else said, animal antibiotics are totally different. My guinea pigs have had metacam numerous times which is meant for dogs cats and small animals.

Quick Reply

Latest