The Student Room Group

Are people seeing conditional offers changing to unconditional

Just having a look on line for any update on Universities and what they are going to do with A Level exams cancelled. I was on the Exeter Uni site which stated that they would be changing Conditional offers to unconditional due to the cancellation of Exams. I am a bit surprised as it is a Russell Group Uni. Is this becoming a common practice ?. It would certainly take the stress away
The government has prevented universities doing this for a few weeks. For those who have not picked a firm/insurance it remains a shady technique, but for those who have already picked firm/insurance it'd be a nice relief.

Quite a few universities seem to be doing this, (off the top of my head I saw someone post that Bangor has made their offer unconditional) or planning to - but do note that a lot of competitive universities overoffer, (give more offers than there are places) some by a large margin for a few courses at the top, so won't be able to do this.
(edited 4 years ago)
Yes
Original post by Scots2
Just having a look on line for any update on Universities and what they are going to do with A Level exams cancelled. I was on the Exeter Uni site which stated that they would be changing Conditional offers to unconditional due to the cancellation of Exams. I am a bit surprised as it is a Russell Group Uni. Is this becoming a common practice ?. It would certainly take the stress away

I am not at all surprised by this. Anything else will be an absolute nightmare for universityies and having loads of special consideration claims. The new system will prove unworkeable. Exeter will be the first leading university to do this but I doubt they will be the last. Exeter were the first to bring in the £9000 fees and others followed
Original post by swanseajack1
I am not at all surprised by this. Anything else will be an absolute nightmare for universityies and having loads of special consideration claims. The new system will prove unworkeable. Exeter will be the first leading university to do this but I doubt they will be the last. Exeter were the first to bring in the £9000 fees and others followed

For some courses this will be pretty much impossible though. Cambridge maths is the most extreme example, which runs on about 2 offers per place.
Original post by _gcx
For some courses this will be pretty much impossible though. Cambridge maths is the most extreme example, which runs on about 2 offers per place.

They are going to be overrun by special consideration cases. Everyone will be saying they havent been fairly treated, would have done better in exams and have been mentally or physically affected by the coronavirus. Good luck to them deciding on which ones to accept but I wouldnt like to be in their shoes
Original post by Scots2

can you provide a link to this please?
Reply 7
Original post by goodadvice12
can you provide a link to this please?

Hi, it was on the Exeter website, look under update on Covid19, there is information there where you will find it
Hello everyone,

Following the announcement on 18 March that GCSEs, A Levels and other Level 3 exams have been cancelled in England and Wales, and Scottish Highers and Advanced Highers in Scotland we are waiting for more information about how these qualifications will be awarded in a “different process and a different system” in August. We anticipate that we will be able to work with any new awards arrangements that the government announces and are committed to supporting you through your journey to starting at university. We will contact all those affected with further details as they emerge via email and will keep our webpages up to date with the latest information.

Having spoken to our Admissions Team I can confirm that we have not been changing Offers from conditional to unconditional since the announcement on 18 March. We do not make adjusted/incentivised unconditional offers, regardless of the change to exams this academic year. This year students are going to be awarded their qualifications using different assessment methods and once these awards are confirmed, we will then establish if applicants have met our conditions.

I hope that this is reassures any of our offer holders reading this. We are continuing to update our FAQs for prospective students as the situation develops and will contact offer holders directly with updates. Do let me or our Admissions team know if you have any further questions that we can help you with in the meantime. We appreciate that it is a stressful time for prospective students.

Melody
University of Exeter Student Recruitment Team
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Scots2
Hi, it was on the Exeter website, look under update on Covid19, there is information there where you will find it

Hi Scots2,

We are concerned to hear that you have seen this information. Would it be possible for you to send me the exact link/text you saw that Exeter were changing conditional offers to unconditional following the announcement on 18 March? This information is not correct and if we need to make an amendment to our webpages we shall certainly do this. Thank you for your help.

Melody
If the link cannot be provided by @Scots2 re Exeter University I think this thread needs to be edited as it cannot be assumed to be true without evidence

@Blue_Cow @Gothic Kitten
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by University of Exeter Student Recruitment Team Two
Hi Scots2,

We are concerned to hear that you have seen this information. Would it be possible for you to send me the exact link/text you saw that Exeter were changing conditional offers to unconditional following the announcement on 18 March? This information is not correct and if we need to make an amendment to our webpages we shall certainly do this. Thank you for your help.

Melody

Hi Melody, thanks for clearing this up and its good to hear that this is not happening. I have been looking back at my history to try and find the link to the page I found it on but having no joy. I tend to clear history.
Original post by Scots2
Hi Melody, thanks for clearing this up and its good to hear that this is not happening. I have been looking back at my history to try and find the link to the page I found it on but having no joy. I tend to clear history.

Hi Scots2

Pleased I could help clear it up. Thank you for checking for me- it is appreciated. We shall continue to monitor our webpages and look for any errors!

Melody

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending