The Student Room Group

Starvation will kill me than coronavirus ever will?

I'm so tired and frustrated with everything especially the coronavirus now.
I was already depressed and struggling with several mental and emotional problems. I'm poor and I worked to support myself and my studies.

Now I'm out of work, alone, sitting at home with absolutely nothing to do. I cant use the libraries to finish the university assessments because its closed. I work best in the library and I can rarely ever get work done at home since my room is too small.

I'm literally counting money because I'm not getting paid and they be axed multiple jobs. I worked at a store and so many girls are now out of work. My emotional problems haven't healed and I'm stuck in an even worse rut than I was before.

People who are panicking and thinking we all should self isolate and live like this for the next 5 months will cause more deaths than the virus ever will. Its people like me who need work and who need to finish studies who will suffer the most.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Anonymous
I'm so tired and frustrated with everything especially the coronavirus now.
I was already depressed and struggling with several mental and emotional problems. I'm poor and I worked to support myself and my studies.

Now I'm out of work, alone, sitting at home with absolutely nothing to do. I cant use the libraries to finish the university assessments because its closed. I work best in the library and I can rarely ever get work done at home since my room is too small.

I'm literally counting money because I'm not getting paid and they be axed multiple jobs. I worked at a store and so many girls are now out of work. My emotional problems haven't healed and I'm stuck in an even worse rut than I was before.

People who are panicking and thinking we all should self isolate and live like this for the next 5 months will cause more deaths than the virus ever will. Its people like me who need work and who need to finish studies who will suffer the most.

There are plenty of larger supermarkets hiring if you need money, and definitely contact your uni and speak to them about the difficulties with getting your work done. A lot of this is new for everyone and it's going to be a bit overwhelming and different to the norm for a while - stay in contact with your family and friends, and contact anyone you think can help. I believe there are mental health support services available over the phone as well - have a google and see what's available in your area.

Particularly for uni work, even if you do one hour a day that's better than nothing, so perhaps pick one task and do that for an hour and see how you feel. Chipping away at larger tasks helps and it makes them seem more manageable.
(edited 4 years ago)
I'm using this as a great opportunity to lose some weight ngl. I'll go back to university with decimated mental health but at least my body will be on point.
Reply 3
Original post by Pharyngotympanic
I'm using this as a great opportunity to lose some weight ngl. I'll go back to university with decimated mental health but at least my body will be on point.

How are you losing weight at home?
Reply 4
Original post by victoriahowells
There are plenty of larger supermarkets hiring if you need money, and definitely contact your uni and speak to them about the difficulties with getting your work done. A lot of this is new for everyone and it's going to be a bit overwhelming and different to the norm for a while - stay in contact with your family and friends, and contact anyone you think can help. I believe there are mental health support services available over the phone as well - have a google and see what's available in your area.

Particularly for uni work, even if you do one hour a day that's better than nothing, so perhaps pick one task and do that for an hour and see how you feel. Chipping away at larger tasks helps and it makes them seem more manageable.

I'm literally crying all the time. Do you think anyone will take me?
Exercising.

Also, I already feel so mentally **** about being here that I've decided to not just eat anything, except for evening meals since that's a family affair. Maybe I'll starve away.
All supermarkets and delivery companies are hiring, you could maybe volunteer for the NHS (helping on delivery runs etc. If getting purpose is more important than money which I totally get probably isn’t your priority). Self isolating is hard and I would never deny that because it’s already been tough but it will not kill more people than corona virus because every time the virus speeds, it infects double the amount so people, and everyone with physical health conditions is at massively high risk
Apply and see what happens, if you don't ask the answer's always no! Take a day and sort yourself out and then try your best to stay calm and work through what you need to do. Maybe make a to do list as you sound pretty stressed!
Who died?
Original post by Pharyngotympanic
Exercising.

Also, I already feel so mentally **** about being here that I've decided to not just eat anything, except for evening meals since that's a family affair. Maybe I'll starve away.

Seems pretty unhealthy. Why?
Original post by hjm40213550
All supermarkets and delivery companies are hiring, you could maybe volunteer for the NHS (helping on delivery runs etc. If getting purpose is more important than money which I totally get probably isn’t your priority). Self isolating is hard and I would never deny that because it’s already been tough but it will not kill more people than corona virus because every time the virus speeds, it infects double the amount so people, and everyone with physical health conditions is at massively high risk

You are not right about the virus as this will be forever since it is a strain. if people like me dont work, thousands will commit suicide or starve away to death hence making such measures even worse. you will realise this once the economy drops down worse, workers face reduncies and then the true reality of this will come out :frown:
Apply and see what happens, if you don't ask the answer's always no! Take a day and sort yourself out and then try your best to stay calm and work through what you need to do. Maybe make a to do list as you sound pretty stressed!

I ve applied at Superdrug and Waitrose. Never wanted to work there. I had worked at Tenzins and Lush before and now I was at Pret but they decided to remove a couple of us. Its beyond stressful.
That sucks, sorry to hear. If getting yourself motivated to doing university work is the problem, get someone to check in with a couple of times a day maybe, and keep them updated on what you've done. Do you have anyone who can do something like this?

Do you have a garden or patio area where you live? The weather is reasonably nice. Try to set yourself up outside maybe. It's a bit cold, but I use that as an incentive for me to do more exercise to stay warm.

I can't advise much in the job situation, although I know delivery companies have a shed load of work now that people are internet shopping more than ever. Do you have a driving license? Try applying with local delivery companies maybe. I'm sure they're desperate for people at this time, more than ever. Same principle will apply to any shop selling essential items, like food, medicines. Large stores especially are restocking shelves at much higher rates, and need people to do this. I think it was Tesco who said they will be closing their stores early so their staff can keep up with the workload.

And it sounds like you could really use a good excuse to get out of the house you live in more often.

Let me know how it goes.
Seems pretty unhealthy. Why?

Meh, who cares.
Reply 14
If you are genuinely starving because you have no money at all please get in touch with someone
Reply 15
I understand your suffering
Do you study in university now? Is tuition fee very expensive for you?
What do you major in? Maybe you can find another job?

Quick Reply

Latest