The Student Room Group

Are you like yourself outside as you are at home?

Scroll to see replies

Most definitely 100%.
quiet at home, chatty outside
Original post by Bang Outta Order
I seeeee, so u must be comfortable around family. I'm trying to determine if people more comfortable around family are subconsciously shy around strangers and vice versa....

Sometimes, I think people do consciously know they are behaving in different ways in different situations, e.g. talking politely around their teacher compared to coming out with whatever around their friends. However, the expressions on your faces, and the tone of your voice might be more of a subconscious factor, that you are not really paying attention to. But I think it also depends upon your personality - are you an introvert or an extrovert? Are you autistic or neurotypical? These factors can influence the extent to which you think about your behaviour and your thoughts and feelings.

I hope this helps you on your quest to finding about how behaviour changes in and out of the home. :-D
Original post by MidgetFever
I don't live with my family, 'tis only my fiance. I'm probably still a bit reserved around family sometimes too, but I suspect that I'm just trying to be polite since it isn't my house. Interesting to look into though :tongue:

Hmmmm

I think I'm just an overall rude angry jerk with a goofy sense of humour, but secrets so I don't open up. But I need to.....
Original post by periodt
strange isn’t it 😂

I suppose....but it's just that my family sucks....
Original post by Toscana
quiet at home, chatty outside

Is it subconscious or intended? Is ur fam strict?

Are you trying to answer this question for the general population of the whole wide world, or just for individual people?
Hmmmm

I think I'm just an overall rude angry jerk with a goofy sense of humour, but secrets so I don't open up. But I need to.....

Are you the same with both strangers and family?
Cause I understand not opening op to strangers, then again not everyone gets on with their family so much. My family never really open up to eachother either, tis weird.
Original post by Mobitela
Are you trying to answer this question for the general population of the whole wide world, or just for individual people?

General. So I can see the norm and feel less guilt about my behaviour towards family and coworkers lol
Reply 28
Less Val, pal lol

it's because i prob have corona (:
Original post by Ciel.
it's because i prob have corona (:

Nonsense, u never leave the house lol
General. So I can see the norm and feel less guilt about my behaviour towards family and coworkers lol

Well.... If I had this question on my A level psychology paper, these are the points I would think about (generally speaking):
- the home is a place of rest, where you have loved ones, and can act in your "natural" manner
- when you exit your home, your personality and behaviour changes to fit the scenery you enter.
- usually, verbal parts of conversations are consciously controlled, whereas non-verbal (i.e. emotion parts) might not be consciously controlled
- your behaviour will probably fit that of the society's expectations around you, e.g. if you are by yourself on a jam-packed train, it is likely that you will stare down at your phone
- the type of people that you are with will impact your behaviour, e.g. your friends, teachers, family, etc.
- the combination of where you are and who you are with creates the behaviour you will then pass onto the outer world; e.g. if you are at home but are having a skype lesson with your teacher, it could generate awkward behaviour.
- when you are around your friends, it is more likely that you will be happy (assuming that they are real friends)
- this is similar to family relationships, if you can be yourself around your family then it shows that your relationships are good.

I hope this has helped you again with your query.
Reply 31
Nonsense, u never leave the house lol

i do sometimes. and now i'm prob dying and you're still being rude af. 🙄 i need a new side ****
Reply 32
When I am talking to my siblings and my family I am a little crazy and a lot more outgoing then I am around other people. When I am at school or out with my friends I tend to be a much more quiet and unintentionally funny just because I tend to zone out and into conversations at peculiar times.

nah, i just dont have anything to talk to my fam about
Reply 34
I see, so you're opposite! Lol loud at home, quiet outside....

probably 'more comfortable' at home to be myself.
Original post by Mobitela
Well.... If I had this question on my A level psychology paper, these are the points I would think about (generally speaking):
- the home is a place of rest, where you have loved ones, and can act in your "natural" manner
- when you exit your home, your personality and behaviour changes to fit the scenery you enter.
- usually, verbal parts of conversations are consciously controlled, whereas non-verbal (i.e. emotion parts) might not be consciously controlled
- your behaviour will probably fit that of the society's expectations around you, e.g. if you are by yourself on a jam-packed train, it is likely that you will stare down at your phone
- the type of people that you are with will impact your behaviour, e.g. your friends, teachers, family, etc.
- the combination of where you are and who you are with creates the behaviour you will then pass onto the outer world; e.g. if you are at home but are having a skype lesson with your teacher, it could generate awkward behaviour.
- when you are around your friends, it is more likely that you will be happy (assuming that they are real friends)
- this is similar to family relationships, if you can be yourself around your family then it shows that your relationships are good.

I hope this has helped you again with your query.

I don't have teachers lol

I'm just concerned whether I should reverse my behaviour around family vs coworkers regardless of what my behaviour is. But yes you make good points. And it seems that maybe I should at least take the energy I have at home, and apply it at work more. Since it seems most people act two separate ways. Whereas I don't. I am generally the same way around different people, and maybe that's the problem.
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest