The Student Room Group

Engineering PhD - Which university / city is suitable for students?

Hello guys,
I have the PhD offers at Uni Of Birmingham, Uni of Nottingham and Brunel Univesity. As I'm an international candidate, I'm wondering which university and city is the best for me?
Original post by musyavuz
As I'm an international candidate, I'm wondering which university and city is the best for me?

I would suggest that you are the best person to decide that, especially as you've not given any information about what you require / prefer.

Have you met all their requirements? With exam cancellations, that may become an issue.
Reply 2
Original post by RogerOxon
I would suggest that you are the best person to decide that, especially as you've not given any information about what you require / prefer.

Have you met all their requirements? With exam cancellations, that may become an issue.

I want to learn that which university is better in terms of engineering? Also, among these cities (London, Nottingham and Birmingham), which one can preferable?
At last, yes I have met all entry requirements. I have the offer from these universities.
I want to learn that which university is better in terms of engineering?

For a PhD, that's not so relevant, IMO. Which group would best suit your research interested?

Also, among these cities (London, Nottingham and Birmingham), which one can preferable?

That will depend on what is important to you. London and Birmingham are both quite large. London will be very expensive.
Hello guys,
I have the PhD offers at Uni Of Birmingham, Uni of Nottingham and Brunel Univesity. As I'm an international candidate, I'm wondering which university and city is the best for me?

Hi I do a PhD in engineerng at Notts, so can answer questions if you want.

With regards to what city is best:
-It depends on what you want out of the city & uni life
-What your budget is...
-IMO I would go to the uni which offers the best project, with the academic team you most get on with.
Reply 5
Original post by mnot
Hi I do a PhD in engineerng at Notts, so can answer questions if you want.

With regards to what city is best:
-It depends on what you want out of the city & uni life
-What your budget is...
-IMO I would go to the uni which offers the best project, with the academic team you most get on with.

Thanks for the information. The most important thing for me is that the costs of the city. Because I’ll come from an overseas country.

Also, I want to ask you that I’ll apply the engineering research excellence scholarship. Do you have any information about its selection process? What is the most critical requirement during the assessment?
Thanks for the information. The most important thing for me is that the costs of the city. Because I’ll come from an overseas country.

Also, I want to ask you that I’ll apply the engineering research excellence scholarship. Do you have any information about its selection process? What is the most critical requirement during the assessment?

Cost perspective, Nottingham & Birmingham will both be substantially cheaper then Brunel overall, they are up in the midlands, Nottingham is probably marginally cheaper then Brum but not much in it, Birmingham is a much bigger city.

Is this the scholarship where you get £15K for 3.5 years?

The problem with me giving advice is every PhD is unique that said, It will likely need an academic recommendation (normally your supervisor), the scholarship application will go to a panel of people who will review a stack of funding applications (they meet once every month or 2 normally I think and will include a bunch of people with engineering and non-engineering expertise).

the scholarship panel imo will want to see:
-How important is the research is, demonstrate the need for the project and why its important to the world.
-You, demonstrate who you are: ie academically excellent and hard working (track record of academic success and try and show work ethic & self motivation through projects you've completed). Interest in the field: can you point to things you've done that demonstrate your knowledgable & interested in the area your committing yourself to.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by mnot
Cost perspective, Nottingham & Birmingham will both be substantially cheaper then Brunel overall, they are up in the midlands, Nottingham is probably marginally cheaper then Brum but not much in it, Birmingham is a much bigger city.

Is this the scholarship where you get £15K for 3.5 years?

The problem with me giving advice is every PhD is unique that said, It will likely need an academic recommendation (normally your supervisor), the scholarship application will go to a panel of people who will review a stack of funding applications (they meet once every month or 2 normally I think and will include a bunch of people with engineering and non-engineering expertise).

the scholarship panel imo will want to see:
-How important is the research is, demonstrate the need for the project and why its important to the world.
-You, demonstrate who you are: ie academically excellent and hard working (track record of academic success and try and show work ethic & self motivation through projects you've completed). Interest in the field: can you point to things you've done that demonstrate your knowledgable & interested in the area your committing yourself to.

The scholarship that I mentioned is covering full tuition fee and a stipend £1015 per month. As far as I understand, if my supervisor give a reference to the panel, it will be crucial. Thanks for advices.
The scholarship that I mentioned is covering full tuition fee and a stipend £1015 per month. As far as I understand, if my supervisor give a reference to the panel, it will be crucial. Thanks for advices.

So the scholarship panel will (in my opinion) expect a very strong review from your supervisor (they would expect your supervisor to be wanting you & this project, any doubt on this would be a red flag).

But the scholarship panel would certainly look at everything from you & your supervisor, and make a judgment.
Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest