The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Oxford Economics graduate applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by econstudential
I completely agree - I love that you have already mentally scrutinized the admissions process :smile:

While I don't think they are reliable predictors in a causal way, I do think they are very strongly correlated. I expect that there are very few economists who produce groundbreaking research who would score poorly in the GRE.

Haha, I enjoy the pursuit of knowledge/moderately useful procrastination by scanning through forums on admissions ****... Mostly read about PhD applications so I've just applied that on master's applications
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Reply 21
International applicant. Econ undergrad (graduated top of my class). GRE 167Q/163V/4.0.

I get the sense that funding might take a while as well, but in previous years I have seen some posts on GC referring to Nuffield funding at the same time (or close to) the acceptance. I was wondering whether someone had any insight on this.
Original post by acorne
International applicant. Econ undergrad (graduated top of my class). GRE 167Q/163V/4.0.

I get the sense that funding might take a while as well, but in previous years I have seen some posts on GC referring to Nuffield funding at the same time (or close to) the acceptance. I was wondering whether someone had any insight on this.

Perhaps due to the COVID-19 situation college allocation will take slightly longer than usual. I guess it won't be their priority right now to allocate graduate students...

I'd be beyond ecstatic to be admitted to the course at all - luckily I have my future employer who is helping me out with funding
Has anyone been in touch with them in the last few days? I have been trying to call them but no response (I guess their offices are closed) and they're not replying to my emails. I received my offer on Wednesday but I also hold another funded offer and it would be great to at least know when Oxford is going to make funding decisions.
Original post by marekb98
Has anyone been in touch with them in the last few days? I have been trying to call them but no response (I guess their offices are closed) and they're not replying to my emails. I received my offer on Wednesday but I also hold another funded offer and it would be great to at least know when Oxford is going to make funding decisions.

This is probably of limited use to you, but it definitely won't be this week given that they are busy responding to all applications.

On a side note: what are your stats? When did you apply? :smile:
This is probably of limited use to you, but it definitely won't be this week given that they are busy responding to all applications.

On a side note: what are your stats? When did you apply? :smile:

I guess I'll need to ask for yet another extension.

I applied on the 23rd of January. I'm studying a joint degree in math and econ in Scotland, have 1+ year of part-time RA experience in econ, and did research in applied math last summer. I rank in top 5% in both econ and math departments.
Original post by marekb98
I guess I'll need to ask for yet another extension.

I applied on the 23rd of January. I'm studying a joint degree in math and econ in Scotland, have 1+ year of part-time RA experience in econ, and did research in applied math last summer. I rank in top 5% in both econ and math departments.

Everything this year seems more disorganized than last year, or at least significantly slower. Many of us are still waiting to hear back...

Very impressive profile by the way (as is everyone's on this thread)!
Reply 27
So to all offer holders (and everyone re question 2) who feel like sharing :smile:
- What university + programme do you have fully funded offers for?
- If you don't get some form of scholarship/funding, will you not take up your place at Oxford? Are student loans not an option where you're from/not enough?
Original post by Wastra
So to all offer holders (and everyone re question 2) who feel like sharing :smile:
- What university + programme do you have fully funded offers for?
- If you don't get some form of scholarship/funding, will you not take up your place at Oxford? Are student loans not an option where you're from/not enough?

I am lucky in that my employer will be funding my graduate study. So I am more concerned about being admitted, rather than funding :smile: I'd definitely attend if I get in. What about you?
That rejection on Grad Cafe indicates that more seem to be coming :|
Reply 30
I am lucky in that my employer will be funding my graduate study. So I am more concerned about being admitted, rather than funding :smile: I'd definitely attend if I get in. What about you?

No funding from parents or anything really. But I’m hoping to get some scholarships from my home country + gov subsidized student loans that bascially can cover tuition and living expenses :smile:
Reply 31
Has anyone who applied at the March deadline received an offer/rejection? I am not sure if previous years had both January and March deadlines, but all decisions seem to have been made in March so I thought this might be the case this year as well.
Has anyone here applied for the MPhil in Economic Research at University of Cambridge?
If not, have you heard about the program, and how would you compare it vis-a-vis the MPhil in Economics at University of Oxford?
Reply 33
Original post by kstpan
Has anyone who applied at the March deadline received an offer/rejection? I am not sure if previous years had both January and March deadlines, but all decisions seem to have been made in March so I thought this might be the case this year as well.

I did and have yet to hear anything. I was under the assumption that the March (late) deadline was more used to fill up slots available from the first deadline and as such would really start hearing back from them around mid-April. I would love for an earlier decision since I have an offer with some funding from another university and my decision deadline for that is April 15th.
Are any of you the posters on GC? Seems like offers are rolling through
Reply 35
Not me. Still nothing.
Reply 36
not me still nothing...
Reply 37
Hey guys, I've got some good/bad news (I guess depending on your perspective). I received an offer letter just a couple of hours ago. Another applicant friend of mine got her offer this afternoon.
Congrats on the offer! Some of us might get bad news tomorrow morning, but we’ll keep our fingers crossed :smile:
Reply 39
Original post by Wastra
Hey guys, I've got some good/bad news (I guess depending on your perspective). I received an offer letter just a couple of hours ago. Another applicant friend of mine got her offer this afternoon.

Congrats! nothing about funding or colleges?

Quick Reply

Latest