The Student Room Group

Nervous about settling into Med school, far from home

I realised I feel anxious about settling into med school which is far from home. Not the aspect of starting the course and getting on with it (I'm actually excited for that), but the fact that I will be going somewhere which seems less diverse in comparison to where I have lived my entire life. I have watched a few videos on the city and I feel a weird vibe. It's hard to explain but it seems extremely "new". However I do know once I get used to it I will see it as my "second home" but as of now, it all seems a blur. Also being away from family will be a first too- I will be feeling homesick. I have also never experienced such a change in a long time- last time was moving from primary school to secondary school. However that was easy as I was a kid and so didn't feel anxious then. But now I don't know what it is which is making me so anxious. Sorry if I'm repeating myself/being vague- just shows how much turmoil I am in right now. But I'm glad I'm feeling this at this point in time (at the end of March)- I have a good 5 months to become mentally prepared and overcome this turmoil. At the end of the day I'm sure thousands of undergraduate students have already gone through this and so giving me hope. Any advice ?
Reply 1
Did you not visit for the interview? Try and focus on why you firmed that choice. I do think there is a lot of anxiety all around right now and yours has settled on the uni. Try and chill though I get it is easier said than done.
Reply 2
Original post by Scotney
Did you not visit for the interview? Try and focus on why you firmed that choice. I do think there is a lot of anxiety all around right now and yours has settled on the uni. Try and chill though I get it is easier said than done.

The interview was not at the uni. When I went for the interview I didn't go out and admire the city/see what it felt like because it was my first interview- I wanted to solely prepare. I also didn't attend the offer day as it was 4 hrs away from home(at the time I thought I would have bagged an offer from my firm choice, hence didn't see the need of going). But in the end I had to firm it because I had no other offers. However I am sure I will get used to it and will eventually love the city. It's just that it feels "new" and that I will be by myself for the first time for a long time. But yeah I will chill and continue watching videos on the city. Hopefully this will help me overcome this state of confusion.
Original post by Exdoz
I realised I feel anxious about settling into med school which is far from home. Not the aspect of starting the course and getting on with it (I'm actually excited for that), but the fact that I will be going somewhere which seems less diverse in comparison to where I have lived my entire life. I have watched a few videos on the city and I feel a weird vibe. It's hard to explain but it seems extremely "new". However I do know once I get used to it I will see it as my "second home" but as of now, it all seems a blur. Also being away from family will be a first too- I will be feeling homesick. I have also never experienced such a change in a long time- last time was moving from primary school to secondary school. However that was easy as I was a kid and so didn't feel anxious then. But now I don't know what it is which is making me so anxious. Sorry if I'm repeating myself/being vague- just shows how much turmoil I am in right now. But I'm glad I'm feeling this at this point in time (at the end of March)- I have a good 5 months to become mentally prepared and overcome this turmoil. At the end of the day I'm sure thousands of undergraduate students have already gone through this and so giving me hope. Any advice ?

Where are you headed? If you give us more information we can be more helpful.

In general: don't worry, what you're feeling is normal. Like you say, when you settle in it will feel like your second home. Once you've actually made the move and found some friends you'll feel less anxious about it all :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Democracy
Where are you headed? If you give us more information we can be more helpful.

In general: don't worry, what you're feeling is normal. Like you say, when you settle in it will feel like your second home. Once you've actually made the move and found some friends you'll feel less anxious about it all :smile:

Off to Plymouth university.

Yep definitely- it will probably take me a month to get used to the whole environment. But it's absolutely crazy I'm going to med school- a dream I had since I was young it's mad. I guess that's playing a part in my nerves too.
Reply 5
Original post by Exdoz
The interview was not at the uni. When I went for the interview I didn't go out and admire the city/see what it felt like because it was my first interview- I wanted to solely prepare. I also didn't attend the offer day as it was 4 hrs away from home(at the time I thought I would have bagged an offer from my firm choice, hence didn't see the need of going). But in the end I had to firm it because I had no other offers. However I am sure I will get used to it and will eventually love the city. It's just that it feels "new" and that I will be by myself for the first time for a long time. But yeah I will chill and continue watching videos on the city. Hopefully this will help me overcome this state of confusion.

And on the plus side it will be much warmer down south! Seriously you will be fine and everyone will be starting on their own and you will soon make friends who will be friends for life. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending