The Student Room Group

babysitting

i am a 13 year old girl that loves kids, i live in tunbridge wells and i have 2 of my own sisters the youngest is 1 and 5 months and the eldest is 9 years old i have only got the experience from looking after my sisters and looking after friends kids but i would love to start earning money by looking after kids under 6 is there any chance anyone would like to give me a job i can work friday evenings and saturdays
Reply 1
I mean this in the nicest way but probably isn't the place to look for genuine jobs. To avoid scams and stuff like that I wouldn't look for a job here. Maybe try job websites like indeed or ask any family friends so you can build your connection
Reply 2
Also you are pretty young yourself so I'm not sure if that will affect your chances of getting a babysitting job but I could be wrong so I'd research. But hope that helped
Original post by Sanaa01
I mean this in the nicest way but probably isn't the place to look for genuine jobs. To avoid scams and stuff like that I wouldn't look for a job here. Maybe try job websites like indeed or ask any family friends so you can build your connection

ok thank you i have tried a lot of job websites but so far no luck i am just trying this out to see if anything works
Reply 4
Original post by Amymerecr2006
ok thank you i have tried a lot of job websites but so far no luck i am just trying this out to see if anything works

How about working in a nursery? Have you tried that? Not now but maybe a summer job
Original post by Sanaa01
How about working in a nursery? Have you tried that? Not now but maybe a summer job

i haven't tried that do you have any advise on how to get a summer nursery job as i do have one right next to my house
Reply 6
i haven't tried that do you have any advise on how to get a summer nursery job as i do have one right next to my house

I just applied to loads of nurseries nearby and sent them an email about why I wanted to job and like a mini CV. Just let them know why you want a summer job there and perhaps write what skills you have to do the job and that should be fine.
Reply 7
i am a 13 year old girl that loves kids, i live in tunbridge wells and i have 2 of my own sisters the youngest is 1 and 5 months and the eldest is 9 years old i have only got the experience from looking after my sisters and looking after friends kids but i would love to start earning money by looking after kids under 6 is there any chance anyone would like to give me a job i can work friday evenings and saturdays

To work in jobs involving people, as you're wanting to, requires a DBS check, which has a minimum age of 16. That's if you do it professionally. If you do it outside of a company, then you're running the risk of running into some dodgy people. It's nice you're wanting to do this, but I'd suggest using this time for studying/recreational activities as you won't get another opportunity like this again.
Reply 8

No point in asking this at the moment as we're required to stay at home, so you'll get no opportunities offered to you in the current situation.

Given your age and for everyone's safety, including your own, you're still going to be relying on people who know you and your family maybe giving you a job. Experience looking after your siblings isn't something you can use to advertise yourself, and they may want to talk with your parents and see how you interact with their children before employing you.
Hi

it is good that you are being proactive but 13 is quite young to be in charge of other people's children. You won't find any business like a nursery that would employ you at that age. Their insurance wouldn't cover it and the DBS check wouldn't be possible.
As a mother I would not have employed a 13 yo babysitter.
I would look to how you can improve your chances when you are a bit older - do you have any sort of certificate in first aid for example?
At 13, once the lockdown is over, your options are more likely to be paper round, leaflet delivery or washing your neighbours cars.

Sorry to let you down, but you are unlikely to get a job in a nursery, for the following reasons:
A) they will require you to be 16 or over (as well as having a DBS check).
B) they require you to have some form of childcare qualification, which you wont have
C) most nurseries don't offer summer jobs (or similar). They usually have their own bank staff who will work days all year round to cover staff holidays, staff sickness, busy periods etc.

Quick Reply

Latest