The Student Room Group

How to keep mouse away from bed??

So, I saw a mouse in one corner of my room the other night, across from my bed. I know that supposedly means the mouse has already been in the room, but I've been hearing sounds under my bed almost every other night since then. I'll hit the side of the wall or something to get it to stop, but after reading all this stuff on the internet, I'm afraid it'll climb into my bed. I never eat food in bed, or have any in the room, but the mouse is here anyways, so I figured that wasn't good enough reason not to worry about it. Does anybody know if any of those youtube mouse repellent videos work, or if it's just making me feel better? Cause I just played that all night. Didn't see a mouse, (heard 'em, why I played the video) but I heard that high pitched ringing all night and I'm tired as crap. Does anybody know how I can just make sure the lil' varmint stays out of my bed until the trap gets him?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SilverSeawish
So, I saw a mouse in one corner of my room the other night, across from my bed. I know that supposedly means the mouse has already been in the room, but I've been hearing sounds under my bed almost every other night since then. I'll hit the side of the wall or something to get it to stop, but after reading all this stuff on the internet, I'm afraid it'll climb into my bed. I never eat food in bed, or have any in the room, but the mouse is here anyways, so I figured that wasn't good enough reason not to worry about it. Does anybody know if any of those youtube mouse repellent videos work, or if it's just making me feel better? Cause I just played that all night. Didn't see a mouse, (heard 'em, why I played the video) but I heard that high pitched ringing all night and I'm tired as crap. Does anybody know how I can just make sure the lil' varmint stays out of my bed until the trap gets him?

Ewwwwwwwww lol

First mistake of having a mouse is trying to coexist. They will learn the traps.

Try getting him out the room first. Even if it takes all night.

Then once you do a room check right after, close the door and plug it from the inside. Make sure no gaps are under your door or holes in the walls.

Next set traps inside just in case, but outside right at the door. Even if you have to line them up ugly. Then learn how to step over the traps yourself, and how to swiftly open and close your door.

Finally get to your room to clean it up, make sure nothing to nest or hide in is on the floor.

Next rearrange furniture. They like dark underneath places. So you might wanna get rid of your bed frame and just have the mattress on the ground if you don't want it under there. If you don't want the boxspring on the floor, then clean literally everything out from under there. Next place a single booby trap somewhere so you'll hear if he's in the room so you can deal with it right away. Worst thing is to let it get used to the place. Then they WILL take over.

Meantime, keep an eye out and traps outside your room. Get snap traps and definitely large sticky ones.

Inb4 horrified weird vegans who don't seem to understand disease....
LMAO I'm picturing op having a face off with a mouse trying to shoo it out. Omds adults vs rodent pests is literally the funniest thing ever.
Original post by Bang Outta Order
Ewwwwwwwww lol

First mistake of having a mouse is trying to coexist. They will learn the traps.

Try getting him out the room first. Even if it takes all night.

Then once you do a room check right after, close the door and plug it from the inside. Make sure no gaps are under your door or holes in the walls.

Next set traps inside just in case, but outside right at the door. Even if you have to line them up ugly. Then learn how to step over the traps yourself, and how to swiftly open and close your door.

Finally get to your room to clean it up, make sure nothing to nest or hide in is on the floor.

Next rearrange furniture. They like dark underneath places. So you might wanna get rid of your bed frame and just have the mattress on the ground if you don't want it under there. If you don't want the boxspring on the floor, then clean literally everything out from under there. Next place a single booby trap somewhere so you'll hear if he's in the room so you can deal with it right away. Worst thing is to let it get used to the place. Then they WILL take over.

Meantime, keep an eye out and traps outside your room. Get snap traps and definitely large sticky ones.

Trust me, I have NO intention of trying to "co-exist".. I want this dude outta' here.
Thanks for the advice.
LMAO I'm picturing op having a face off with a mouse trying to shoo it out. Omds adults vs rodent pests is literally the funniest thing ever.

XD I just think of that disney movie from when I was little.. The Rescuers. This crazy red-haired lady chases them around with a gun and alligators and somethin' else.
XD I just think of that disney movie from when I was little.. The Rescuers. This crazy red-haired lady chases them around with a gun and alligators and somethin' else.

Lol neva saw
Trust me, I have NO intention of trying to "co-exist".. I want this dude outta' here.
Thanks for the advice.

Gewd luck
Reply 7

Don't have to be a vegan to berate you for suggesting a glue trap that is practically a torture device. Either use a quick-killing trap or a trap that allows you to release the animal unharmed. A glue trap is neither of these.
Reply 8
Original post by GavinB
Don't have to be a vegan to berate you for suggesting a glue trap that is practically a torture device. Either use a quick-killing trap or a trap that allows you to release the animal unharmed. A glue trap is neither of these.

Gluetraps work better, they can't fail to fire, as it were.
Besides why would you want to release a mouse or rat 'unharmed' will it grant one a wish? It's a pest, dispatching it is the only thing to be done.
Reply 9
Original post by Napp
Gluetraps work better, they can't fail to fire, as it were.
Besides why would you want to release a mouse or rat 'unharmed' will it grant one a wish? It's a pest, dispatching it is the only thing to be done.

The glue can fail to trap, dust and temperature can render it less effective, etc. Plenty of ways they wouldn't work better.

Because not everyone is a sociopath who wants to kill everything they come across. I can release a mouse in a woodland area if I so desire... I don't need to torture animals to be rid of them, there's a difference (and a lot of people don't dispatch them when they're on the glue trap, that's the issue).
Reply 10
Step One: Set a trap

Step Two: Place poison somewhere the mouse can go

Step Three: Leave the house and wait for the mouse to die

Step Four: Remove the dead bast*rd and return order

As you can tell I am not keen on mice. We had mice in our house when I was a child and we laid traps. Once a rat got in and eventually we all left the house because the noise it made scared us all a bit and stopped us sleeping. Poison in the wall we went out to the caravan and waited until the morning where it was dead.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by GavinB
The glue can fail to trap, dust and temperature can render it less effective, etc. Plenty of ways they wouldn't work better.

Less effective//not work at all.
If you like people could always just electrify the floor, i'm sure that would be somewhat more fail safe.

Because not everyone is a sociopath who wants to kill everything they come across. I can release a mouse in a woodland area if I so desire... I don't need to torture animals to be rid of them, there's a difference (and a lot of people don't dispatch them when they're on the glue trap, that's the issue).

Yeah, totally sociopatheic to not want to save vermind that spread disease and destroy the house :rolleyes:
Er do you know what torturing is?
Then thats their problem.
Borrow a cat???
Hey that was a month ago, wonder if OP got rid of the mouse by now or they have a colony
Reply 14
Original post by Napp
Less effective//not work at all.
If you like people could always just electrify the floor, i'm sure that would be somewhat more fail safe.

Yeah, totally sociopatheic to not want to save vermind that spread disease and destroy the house :rolleyes:
Er do you know what torturing is?
Then thats their problem.

Point is that there are a multitude of options rather than a glue trap. If the pest control industry openly admits they agree with a ban on public sale with glue traps, then that really does speak volumes.

I'd say it is sociopathic to kill an animal needlessly. You have an option for catch and release that will prevent that problem from happening. Unless you have a literal mouse plague, why would killing it be the first option? I've had the occasional mouse wander in... got one of those tip traps, released it by the creek. Didn't need to maim nor kill anything - certainly wasn't going to eat it either. Saying the animal has disease doesn't justify it - all animals can carry something. The foxes that wander around can carry ticks that can make me ill - that doesn't mean I should kill it.

Yes, I do know what torturing is. That's what a glue trap does. I don't need to stick a live mammal on a sheet of glue and force to rip its own face off for hours to get rid of it. It's barbaric, effective or not, that's the point.
Reply 15
Original post by GavinB
Point is that there are a multitude of options rather than a glue trap. If the pest control industry openly admits they agree with a ban on public sale with glue traps, then that really does speak volumes.

Can't say i've ever come across this claim, can you link it?

I'd say it is sociopathic to kill an animal needlessly. You have an option for catch and release that will prevent that problem from happening. Unless you have a literal mouse plague, why would killing it be the first option? I've had the occasional mouse wander in... got one of those tip traps, released it by the creek. Didn't need to maim nor kill anything - certainly wasn't going to eat it either. Saying the animal has disease doesn't justify it - all animals can carry something. The foxes that wander around can carry ticks that can make me ill - that doesn't mean I should kill it.

Yeah thats not really an option when the vermin just come back. Besides, with special relation to rats, one is encouraged by government to kill the disgusting creatures.
Comparing a rat/mouse to a fox... yeah they're not even remotely the same. Foxes not being accused of eating and defecating all over your house and spreading untold unpleasant bacteria/viruses.
Well if you want to shoot the fox thats your prerogative. Rats and mice though are recognized as destructive and unhygienic vermin

Yes, I do know what torturing is. That's what a glue trap does. I don't need to stick a live mammal on a sheet of glue and force to rip its own face off for hours to get rid of it. It's barbaric, effective or not, that's the point.

Hardly, no more than crippling it with a metal bar or locking it in a cage at any rate. Nevermind making it bleed to death as all poisons do.
Meh maybe. Given its a rat or mouse though i'll save my sympathy for something less revolting, for instance a fox.
Reply 16
Original post by glassalice
Borrow a cat???

Could backfire, bloody furball (my one at least) brings more in than it takes out :lol:
I'm always a bit baffled when people who get mice/rats don't immediately gut the room to find out how it got in and stop it.

I'm not really keen on the cruelty of glue traps either tbh, imo sticky traps are used so you KNOW what you're dealing with , you don't rely on it killing, i'm not going to lose much sleep over killing it but id rather it was clean or at least had a fighting chance. Trying to set up home in another's territory has risks that are an ever present part of nature, we didn't invent them

I've always heard mixed things about catch'n'release, plenty of tales of folk doing it without addressing anything else and they're surprised when the same mouse/rat come straight back in the next day :rolleyes:
Reply 18
Original post by Napp
Can't say i've ever come across this claim, can you link it?

Yeah thats not really an option when the vermin just come back. Besides, with special relation to rats, one is encouraged by government to kill the disgusting creatures.
Comparing a rat/mouse to a fox... yeah they're not even remotely the same. Foxes not being accused of eating and defecating all over your house and spreading untold unpleasant bacteria/viruses.
Well if you want to shoot the fox thats your prerogative. Rats and mice though are recognized as destructive and unhygienic vermin

Hardly, no more than crippling it with a metal bar or locking it in a cage at any rate. Nevermind making it bleed to death as all poisons do.
Meh maybe. Given its a rat or mouse though i'll save my sympathy for something less revolting, for instance a fox.

Here you go.

That's why you shouldn't release them in your backyard. Sorry, must've missed that pamphlet - but I have the option to catch and release. Yes, I am comparing them - both animals are vectors for various disease. Just because a rat can get to tighter species doesn't really diminish that fact.

Hardly? That site I linked to you has a link to HSI's page, detailing what happens on these traps. Here is a fact sheet from the RSPCA. Now, I don't know about you... but breaking the animal's neck for a quick death or putting it in a cage for release later is infinitely more humane than having its skin ripped off, limbs broken/chewed through or dying of dehydration on a sheet of superglue. You don't need much sympathy for them, just enough not to put an animal through needless torture. Doesn't matter how "revolting" they seem to be, they'll never be as revolting as what some humans are capable of.

As I said, they're torture devices; I've given you enough info as to why... unless of course, you want me to pull up a Facebook page of an animal rehabber showing the nasty injuries these things can cause animals? Because they don't just lie there and wait; they struggle and struggle. Enough to maim themselves. Personally, I think rodents are cute - they're only revolting if left to their own devices.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Napp
Could backfire, bloody furball (my one at least) brings more in than it takes out :lol:

Hense why you only borrow it.

(1)Charm the neighbours cat with food (don't actually let it eat any food= sh*t)
(2)Pick it up while dressed in motorbike gear. (3)Deposit it in the bedroom
(4)Return 2 hours later.
(5)Evict the cat

IF it didn't work, repeat using a different cat.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending