The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hello all,

What did you get in your mocks?
What were your predicted grades for real exams?
What course do you want to apply for?
Do you think your mocks will ruin your final grade so now you're unsure of applying to Cambridge?

Stay safe
Scottish Student here!

Hoping to apply for Economics at King's College
Highers: Predicted 9A's
Advanced Highers: No idea what I will get in them
(btw my school doesn't accommodate for my subjects, I just teach myself them)

Cambridge because it looks really pretty ngl, and I'm not a massive fan of the oxford course. Will probably apply to edinburgh, glasgow, st andrews and Dundee as well. Never actually visited Cambridge before or been to any open days

I do a lot of debating, I've taken part in an essay competition and have done a few maths challenges etc.

I'll have to do the ECAA (I think that's what it's called?) beforehand
(edited 3 years ago)
Hi all!

I am hoping to apply for Physical Natural Sciences or Mathematics at Trinity College, Cambridge.
I am taking Maths, History, Photography and Further Maths, and may take Physics A-Level in a gap year.
I am applying to Cambridge as the courses I am interested in are perfect for me and I love the area; I visited Cambridge for the first Physics Masterclass and knew Trinity was perfect for me, but I will hopefully visit the other colleges if there is an open day to take place later on this year in case I am wrong.

I have to take the STEP exam for mathematics.

I am also applying to St. Andrews (Theoretical Physics or Mathematics), Nottingham (Mathematics or Physics with Theoretical Physics), Southampton (Physics or Mathematics), and Durham for Mathematics. Will also apply to MIT, TU Munich, TU Berlin, Bonn and ETH Zurich.
Reply 83
Hey all,

1) History, Politics and English Lit - hopefully 3 A*s
2) Law (at Trinity)
3) 9999998777
4) I want to be at a university with an academic environment and I like the freedom of Cambridge's Law course structure.

About UCAS specifically:
5) Durham, Bristol, LSE - not really sure about others.
6) I have not but my school has taken us on workshops and tours.
7) Extra reading, debating, running a law society, watching lectures, essay competitions
8) Cambridge Law Test and LNAT
Reply 84
Original post by legallyroyal63
Hey everyone! I currently hold an offer for Law at Gonville and Caius, Cambridge for 2020 entry and am happy to answer any questions anyone has about the process or law applications in particular:smile: good luck!

(offer conditions = A*AA)

Hey :smile: What would you recommend as preparation for the interview and CLT? Also, any general advice of super-curriculars?
Original post by scottishnerd
Scottish Student here!

Hoping to apply for Economics at King's College
National 5: 10 A's
Highers: Predicted 9A's
Advanced Highers: will be doing 6, No idea what I will get in them
(btw my school doesn't accommodate for my subjects, I just teach myself them)

Cambridge because it looks really pretty ngl, and I'm not a massive fan of the oxford course. Will probably apply to edinburgh, glasgow, st andrews and Dundee as well. Never actually visited Cambridge before or been to any open days

I do a lot of debating, I've taken part in an essay competition and have done a few maths challenges etc.

I'll have to do the ECAA (I think that's what it's called?) beforehand

You do 9 subjects at Higher? Are you crazy?!!!!!! I go to a private school and they only ALLOW us to do 5!
But nevertheless, I want to do Economics aswell, so good luck, maybe I'll see you!
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by arshakshahr
You do 9 subjects at Higher? Are you crazy?!!!!!! I go to a private school and they only ALLOW us to do 5!
But nevertheless, I want to do Economics aswell, so good luck, maybe I'll see you!

Yeah even though it's a state school my teachers have been super supportive (which puts me in a very privileged position I'm aware and appreciate)
What college are you wanting to apply for? Hopefully we'll see each other in the future :smile:
Original post by scottishnerd
Yeah even though it's a state school my teachers have been super supportive (which puts me in a very privileged position I'm aware and appreciate)
What college are you wanting to apply for? Hopefully we'll see each other in the future :smile:

I’m thinking St John’s but obviously still keeping options open. How were ur prelims?
Original post by International001
But I don't think I am like a transfer student, as I am not only applying to enroll in the first year of an undergraduate study, but also because I am applying for another course.

Cambridge does not usually consider applications from people already studying at a university. You would have to decline your LSE offer in order to apply to Cambridge

(EDIT following correction)
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by SkyRunner61
Cambridge does not consider applications from people already studying at a university. You would have to decline your LSE offer in order to apply to Cambridge

They actually do. It’s just harder to get in. Depends on the college and generally your course has to be different to the one you’re studying at the moment.
Original post by A6416
Hey :smile: What would you recommend as preparation for the interview and CLT? Also, any general advice of super-curriculars?

I bought a book from amazon on the CLT by UniAdmissions which was really good for preparation. I also did all the practice essays on their website. For the interview I practised going over my personal statement and read law books such as ‘what about law?’ Which helped me think like a law student. With regards to super-curriculars your options are sadly more limited than mine due to Covid-19 but there are still definitely things to do. I attended the Cambridge sixth form law conference, did the Robert walker essay prize, had work experience at a barristers chambers (organised myself), read law books, mock bar trials, did an epq. Hope this helps :smile:
Original post by tash299792
I noticed that there wasn't one for 2021 applicants - and while most of us are still in Year 12, it would be nice to have a thread for prospective applicants. (It's already 2020 - this time next year we'll (hopefully) have university offers rolling in!!!! :-O )

This is kind of @New Wonder's 2020 thread except for 2021 applicants.

(Some questions from New Wonder's thread):
To get this thread started introduce yourself:
1)What A-levels are you taking and what grades are you hoping for?
2)What subject are thinking of applying for at Cambridge?
3)What are your GCSE Grades?
4)Why Cambridge?

About UCAS specifically:
5)Besides Cambridge what other unis are you thinking of applying to?
6)Have you gone to any of the open days for Cambridge?
7)What are you currently doing (academically especially) to make your application stronger.
8)Would you have to sit an admission test, if so, which one.

Hi Everyone!

I am New Wonder and I was (or am?) the thread starter for the 2020 entry Cambridge Applicant Thread. I was lucky to be offered a place at Cambridge!

I know that applying to Cambridge can seem daunting because, a year ago, I was in your shoes and had the same doubts and fears as you all are having right now. If you want to ask any questions about the application process feel free to ask me (either by replying to this or via a DM). If I had to give you all an advice is to stop doubting yourselves. In my opinion, confidence will be key in this process. Believe in yourselves but work hard too! Make sure you give yourselves enough time to prepare for all the admissions tests and interviews and PS. This process will be very challenging because it is specifically designed to be as such but that doesn't mean its impossible to get an offer! Independent of whatever background you are, if you feel like you can do this - go for it! But, even if you get rejected (which, let's be honest, will happen to a majority (75%) of you really) do not let one decision summarise you academic worth and potential.

Best of luck to all of you and make sure to keep safe during these challenging times.
Original post by New Wonder
Hi Everyone!

I am New Wonder and I was (or am?) the thread starter for the 2020 entry Cambridge Applicant Thread. I was lucky to be offered a place at Cambridge!

I know that applying to Cambridge can seem daunting because, a year ago, I was in your shoes and had the same doubts and fears as you all are having right now. If you want to ask any questions about the application process feel free to ask me (either by replying to this or via a DM). If I had to give you all an advice is to stop doubting yourselves. In my opinion, confidence will be key in this process. Believe in yourselves but work hard too! Make sure you give yourselves enough time to prepare for all the admissions tests and interviews and PS. This process will be very challenging because it is specifically designed to be as such but that doesn't mean its impossible to get an offer! Independent of whatever background you are, if you feel like you can do this - go for it! But, even if you get rejected (which, let's be honest, will happen to a majority (75%) of you really) do not let one decision summarise you academic worth and potential.

Best of luck to all of you and make sure to keep safe during these challenging times.

hiya congrats on the offer! what subject is it for?
Hey, I'm an international applicant, planning to apply to either Cambridge or Oxford
1)What IB subjects are you taking and what grades are you hoping for?
HL subjects: Chemistry (6 or 7), Biology (7), English (7)
SL subjects: Polish (6), Maths AA (7), Geography (7)
2)What subject are you thinking of applying for at Cambridge?
medicine
I haven't taken GCSEs
4)Why Cambridge?
I'm not really sure about Cambridge, cause I always wanted to apply to Oxford, but I've recently started thinking of Cambridge, because I've heard it's kind of "easier" to get into Cambridge than Oxford, still difficult, but easier, is it true?

About UCAS specifically:
probably UCL/Imperial, Edinburgh, not sure yet
no
7)What are you currently doing (academically especially) to make your application stronger?
- Extended Essay in Biology
- creating and leader of a project connected with contagious diseases
- giving tutoring as a voluntary service
- 1-day hospital placement in a surgery ward, hopefully more work experience in summer
- MUN conferences
- I was thinking about doing an online course on a topic connected with medicine as I'm stuck at home now, do you think it's worth mentioning in the Personal Statement?
Does anyone have any tips regarding things to make my application stronger? I haven't had any opportunity to do voluntary service in a hospital/care home, I might have one during the summer holidays though. Do you recommend any summer schools/summer courses which are not so expensive and are worth it? Do you think they will eventually take place due to the coronavirus?
8)Would you have to sit an admission test, if so, which one?
BMAT
Original post by mez_merising
hiya congrats on the offer! what subject is it for?

Medicine.
Original post by VanillaCream
Hey, I'm an international applicant, planning to apply to either Cambridge or Oxford
1)What IB subjects are you taking and what grades are you hoping for?
HL subjects: Chemistry (6 or 7), Biology (7), English (7)
SL subjects: Polish (6), Maths AA (7), Geography (7)
2)What subject are you thinking of applying for at Cambridge?
medicine
I haven't taken GCSEs
4)Why Cambridge?
I'm not really sure about Cambridge, cause I always wanted to apply to Oxford, but I've recently started thinking of Cambridge, because I've heard it's kind of "easier" to get into Cambridge than Oxford, still difficult, but easier, is it true?

About UCAS specifically:
probably UCL/Imperial, Edinburgh, not sure yet
no
7)What are you currently doing (academically especially) to make your application stronger?
- Extended Essay in Biology
- creating and leader of a project connected with contagious diseases
- giving tutoring as a voluntary service
- 1-day hospital placement in a surgery ward, hopefully more work experience in summer
- MUN conferences
- I was thinking about doing an online course on a topic connected with medicine as I'm stuck at home now, do you think it's worth mentioning in the Personal Statement?
Does anyone have any tips regarding things to make my application stronger? I haven't had any opportunity to do voluntary service in a hospital/care home, I might have one during the summer holidays though. Do you recommend any summer schools/summer courses which are not so expensive and are worth it? Do you think they will eventually take place due to the coronavirus?
8)Would you have to sit an admission test, if so, which one?
BMAT

lol I had always wanted to apply to Cambridge but now I want to apply to Oxford because apparently it's easier
Original post by Kevin2002
lol I had always wanted to apply to Cambridge but now I want to apply to Oxford because apparently it's easier

Really? hahah What subject are you applying for?
Just wanted to say - don't decide which oxbridge uni you want to apply to based on how 'easy' they are to get in to. Both are equally difficult to get into and yet are fundamentally different - so, if you don't apply based on which uni is better for you as an individual, you may get in and have a horrible time. It happens! Also I would say the same with colleges.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by VanillaCream
Really? hahah What subject are you applying for?

I'm applying for maths
The number of people from my school getting into Cambridge has dropped significantly this year, and I know many who definitely deserved a place being rejected, but it didn't for Oxford.
Potential reapplicant based on my feedback here :smile:
(edited 4 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending