The Student Room Group

Want to report someone for domestic violence

But the emergency services are so busy.

Scroll to see replies

Are you absolutely certain that you have witnessed at least three incidents of domestic violence or controlling & coercive behaviour?
Words and actions that are unlawful.
Going far beyond being rude, jealous or spiteful during a loud argument.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by londonmyst
Are you absolutely certain that you have witness at least three incidents of domestic violence or controlling & coercive behaviour?

Take your own advice, words can have force.

You could potentially be actively dissuading someone from seeking life changing support. It takes a lot of courage for victims of domestic abuse to come forward, and how dare you suggest it may not be justified. Without even an ounce of evidence to suggest that.

Delete your toxic post.
Original post by Anonymous

Are they? Is this what you've experienced? (that is, the busy emergency services not the domestic violence)

I've heard officers on the radio saying there's been a reduction in crime currently... I wouldn't let a perception of them being busy put you off reporting any serious crimes.
Reply 4

Report it! Don't wait because there is no telling how a domestic violence situation may escalate. The Government website says:

"Domestic abuse or violence is a crime and should be reported to the police - there are also other organisations who can offer you help and support.

Call 999 if it’s an emergency or you’re in immediate danger.

The police take domestic violence seriously and will be able to help and protect you.

Contact your local neighbourhood policing team if it’s not an emergency."

https://www.gov.uk/report-domestic-abuse

The above advice is underneath reminders on Coronavirus, so its not like they've changed the policy on domestic violence. It's a serious crime.
Reply 5
Are you absolutely certain that you have witness at least three incidents of domestic violence or controlling & coercive behaviour?

I have experienced it. A family member keeps physically abusing me and they're also a future teacher so I'm afraid of them being around children. Today that family member broke my mums fingers and she's bleeding.
Original post by Waldorf67

You could potentially be actively dissuading someone from seeking life changing support. It takes a lot of courage for victims of domestic abuse to come forward, and how dare you suggest it may not be justified. Without even an ounce of evidence to suggest that.

Delete your toxic post.

We are in a state of crisis and there’s always a chance that the OP may be mistaken if the situation doesn’t involve them. The user was correct because everyone can say harsh words, but that doesn’t necessarily constitute domestic violence. In that case everyone in the world would be in jail.
Reply 7

They've done it so many times I've lost count
I have experienced it. A family member keeps physically abusing me and they're also a future teacher so I'm afraid of them being around children. Today that family member broke my mums fingers and she's bleeding.

Straighforward enough, yes, that is a police matter, busy or not.
Reply 9
You should either report it or give that family member a taste of their own medicine.

Even if emergency services are very busy right now, report it, but do not that they may not treat it as a priority since, well, COVID-19. Please continue to try and report it though.
Original post by StriderHort
Straighforward enough, yes, that is a police matter, busy or not.

So is it worth waiting hours on the phone? They're very busy. And my mums fingers are broken and she's in lots of pain.
Original post by Parties
You should either report it or give that family member a taste of their own medicine.

Even if emergency services are very busy right now, report it, but do not that they may not treat it as a priority since, well, COVID-19. Please continue to try and report it though.

She did jump on me today and pulled my hair and I defended myself but I'm most afraid of her being around children because she's very dangerous and very short-tempered. okay I will report her.
Reply 12
Original post by YaliaV
We are in a state of crisis and there’s always a chance that the OP may be mistaken if the situation doesn’t involve them. The user was correct because everyone can say harsh words, but that doesn’t necessarily constitute domestic violence. In that case everyone in the world would be in jail.

Yes, but domestic violence and coronavirus can both lead to deaths. Exactly what's happening is for the police to investigate, but don't put off the OP from phoning; they are doing the right thing.
Original post by Surnia
Report it! Don't wait because there is no telling how a domestic violence situation may escalate. The Government website says:

"Domestic abuse or violence is a crime and should be reported to the police - there are also other organisations who can offer you help and support.

Call 999 if it’s an emergency or you’re in immediate danger.

The police take domestic violence seriously and will be able to help and protect you.

Contact your local neighbourhood policing team if it’s not an emergency."

https://www.gov.uk/report-domestic-abuse

The above advice is underneath reminders on Coronavirus, so its not like they've changed the policy on domestic violence. It's a serious crime.

What if they don't do anything??? And then I'm left in an awkward situation.
Original post by Waldorf67

Delete your toxic post.

Making a report to the emergency services is a serious matter and generally results in a law enforcement investigation.
The allegations are recorded on file, may never be removed and are accessible to a variety of government agencies & external professionals for a very long time.
Very different from seeking informal guidance from a charity or advice from a support group.

I am experienced in supporting the survivors of abuse, sexual violence and criminal attacks.
There has been many occasions where proof and formal statements has been demanded from survivors, their witnesses and professionals assisting them.
Along with harsh reminders of both the personal and professional implications of wasting police time or defamatory conduct.
Emotional abuse is just as bad as physical abuse.
This person physically and emotionally abuses me everyday but this is the first time she made someone bleed like dripping in blood
Reply 17
@londonmyst

Where on earth did you get those criteria?

I phoned 999 the first time I heard, not witnessed, DV in my next-door neighbours house. There was a crime in progress and I'm not waiting for someone to be hurt or worse. Get rid of that post before people think they have to stay with an abuser and suffer on several occasions before they can report it to the police. Irresponsible advice....

You can report the attack online to the Met and will receive emailed confirmation with a reference number within 30 mins:
https://www.met.police.uk/ro/report/ocr/af/how-to-report-a-crime/
The crime that your mother has been subjected to is likely to be classified as actual bodily harm or battery.
You can report the attack online to the Met and will receive emailed confirmation with a reference number within 30 mins:
https://www.met.police.uk/ro/report/ocr/af/how-to-report-a-crime/
The crime that your mother has been subjected to is likely to be classified as actual bodily harm or battery.

What crime would it be if you're also emotionally abusing someone?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending