The Student Room Group
This depends entirely on how good you are a programming and how quickly you pick things up. You want to learn everything? Then you'll be learning for a long time. Start out by searching for a beginners tutorial on android app development and work from there.
Reply 2
Original post by Joe1000000
This depends entirely on how good you are a programming and how quickly you pick things up. You want to learn everything? Then you'll be learning for a long time. Start out by searching for a beginners tutorial on android app development and work from there.

How long is 'a long time' approx?
Original post by 12115
I've never coded anything before. I got an A in GCSE ICT, but now I want to make a successful app like Instagram/Snapchat.
I want to know how long it will take me to learn to code and learn everything I need to know to make a professional app on iOS and android.
Thank you :smile:

https://learnappmaking.com/how-to-make-an-app/
Original post by 12115
How long is 'a long time' approx?

To learn everything involved in a professional app like instagram? From 0 experience? A year +.
Original post by 12115
I've never coded anything before. I got an A in GCSE ICT, but now I want to make a successful app like Instagram/Snapchat.
I want to know how long it will take me to learn to code and learn everything I need to know to make a professional app on iOS and android.
Thank you :smile:

I'll be honest, if your goal is to make an app like Instagram or Snapchat and the level you're at is GCSE ICT then you're very much in over your head. It takes more than just being able to program to make a large scale app, you need a thorough understanding of networking, databases, you need servers for processing and so on. These apps are built by teams of experienced developers, you simply won't get anywhere close to the level they're working on.

Making a professional app is a lot broader, and you could make something that runs locally on a device. You could do away with all the infrastructure and make some really simple apps. However going from absolutely no programming experience to professional app level is still a huge jump.

Rather than aiming really high you need to start with little tiny baby steps. Learn the basics of programming, write some basic programs for Windows. Then start looking at how to write for mobile devices, and write some simple apps. You need to build up slowly from scratch, you won't be jumping straight into writing apps. In terms of how long it'll take, well how long is a piece of string? It could take you anywhere from weeks to months to understand the basics, depending on how quickly you pick things up and how much time you put in. You could be looking at dozens, or even hundreds of hours before you're even writing semi complex desktop applications.

Programming is a huge field and it isn't something you can pick up overnight. You could take classes at college and degree level, spend 5+ years learning and still only scratch the surface. But equally if you pick things up fast you can start writing code that does stuff in a matter of hours. The important thing is to be realistic with your expectations.
Message me. I would be happy to help you. But it can take years to get to a point where you get to that stage, but it's rewarding, it's not something to persure without a passion.

And I'm sorry to break it to you, ICT and computer science sre 2 completely different fields. But don't let that put you off.

The people that are most successful in computer science are observant, naturally curious and is good at finding ways to solve problems. (don't worry if your maths isn't up to much)

Get used to not giving up in finding something, not everything is going to be spoon fed, it's mostly up to you to find thing's.

Your best off starting with something web based (HTML, css and Js) and look into making a basic PWA.
Then once you've mastered that (should take about 8-14 months - although it is not something to be rushed just let yourself go at your own rate)

Also on the way have a look at SEO

then start having a look at PHP and SQL, Start looking at some open source PHP scripts other people have made, some people click with it, and some people don't so that could take anywhere between 2months and 2years. It's also worth investing in some cheap web hosting, you can get it from ifastnet.com for around £3.5 a month

At that point you'll be able to make a Progressive web app with database functions and hopefully even a nice UI.

At this point I would recommend moving onto proper apps using java, but by this point you'll know what you'll want to do anyway.

I used a lot of abbreviations there, there may also be a lot of terms you are unfamiliar with I have done this deliberately this is so you can get used to searching things on Google, as you'll have to do this a lot, you might even have to go as far as page 10 sometimes.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 7
That`s really not so easy as it can be seemed. Look - https://www.cleveroad.com/blog/how-to-create-an-app. This article has comprehensive information how to create an app from idea to it`s release, further maintain and so on. Think it will help you in this issue. Good luck!

Latest

Trending

Trending