The Student Room Group

Not being allowed a proper amount of food

My family are self-isolating through the coronavirus pandemic and being very careful not to go anywhere as my mum has a weak immune system. This is to the extent that we are not going to any shops and are relying on what we can get delivered. Therefore the food is very rationed as we never know when we can get another delivery.

It's ridiculous as a 25-year-old man with savings that I am being restricted like this and my parents just say that I eat a lot but seriously? The GDA for a man is 2500 calories a day, they say for breakfast I can only have 2 pieces of toast, then for lunch yesterday I was offered one small bread roll with a fifth of an avocado and a tiny amount of meat. Then for dinner a very small ready meal with only 300 calories. I think I'm lucky if I'm getting 1000 calories in a day! Tonight we're having salmon fillets and debating over whether we should have half a fillet each and possibly no carbohydrate as it's limited. SERIOUSLY? A salmon fillet has about 150 calories!

What should I do? As I can't really move out during this lockdown and can't go to the shops, and I'm feeling so hungry 😭

Scroll to see replies

So order your own food? :confused:
Original post by Anonymous
My family are self-isolating through the coronavirus pandemic and being very careful not to go anywhere as my mum has a weak immune system. This is to the extent that we are not going to any shops and are relying on what we can get delivered. Therefore the food is very rationed as we never know when we can get another delivery.

It's ridiculous as a 25-year-old man with savings that I am being restricted like this and my parents just say that I eat a lot but seriously? The GDA for a man is 2500 calories a day, they say for breakfast I can only have 2 pieces of toast, then for lunch yesterday I was offered one small bread roll with a fifth of an avocado and a tiny amount of meat. Then for dinner a very small ready meal with only 300 calories. I think I'm lucky if I'm getting 1000 calories in a day! Tonight we're having salmon fillets and debating over whether we should have half a fillet each and possibly no carbohydrate as it's limited. SERIOUSLY? A salmon fillet has about 150 calories!

What should I do? As I can't really move out during this lockdown and can't go to the shops, and I'm feeling so hungry 😭

put ur big boi pants on and order some dominos with all those savings you have
Reply 3
Original post by StriderHort
So order your own food? :confused:

The problem is all the deliveries are booked out so it's impossible. My mum is resorting to ordering very expensive food from luxury places, basically we can't really eat properly without going to shops but she thinks it's too high risk!
Reply 4
Original post by louisec.5069
put ur big boi pants on and order some dominos with all those savings you have

My mum says we can't have takeaways as there's a risk that they could be contaminated.
My mum says we can't have takeaways as there's a risk that they could be contaminated.

....if you say my mum one more time!? You're 25! Stop this madness!? 😂
Reply 6
If you drive, try to persuade your parents that you can go to the shops yourself and bring in the groceries.

Make sure things that you’re gonna eat is on a different receipt & ensure to split house groceries and your things at the grocery runway-till.

Then, in the car, put pot noodles, fresh veg, or things that cook in hot water in your bag (if they say what’s inside, tell them the bag has work inside).

Put the bag in your room. Everyday, bring a flask of hot water into your room. And stash a bowl and a fork in your room too.

Hope this will help.
Reply 7
Original post by Bang Outta Order
Aww mummy wummy won't let you eatie weatie 😭😭😭😭

Negro GO TO THE SHOPS??

She says we can't because of the risk of catching coronavirus there. So if I go anyway and f

Original post by Bang Outta Order
....if you say my mum one more time!? You're 25! Stop this madness!? 😂

I know but it's not really possible to move out during the lockdown! And my mum won't let me back into the house if I go to a shop due to the risk of catching coronavirus there. So what am I meant to do? My dad shouts at me when I try to explain that I need more calories.

I'm borderline underweight and normally eat a lot, so am I risking my health if I hardly eat any food?
You are a 25-year-old man, living in his parents' house and eating his parents' food and you complaining?
The problem is all the deliveries are booked out so it's impossible. My mum is resorting to ordering very expensive food from luxury places, basically we can't really eat properly without going to shops but she thinks it's too high risk!

It's not impossible, it's just hard. If you're not happy with your parents shopping or meals you'll need to do your own one way or another.
Don’t you have any friends or extended family who can do a big grocery shop for you and you pay their expenses?
Original post by Babs003
If you drive, try to persuade your parents that you can go to the shops yourself and bring in the groceries.

Make sure things that you’re gonna eat is on a different receipt & ensure to split house groceries and your things at the grocery runway-till.

Then, in the car, put pot noodles, fresh veg, or things that cook in hot water in your bag (if they say what’s inside, tell them the bag has work inside).

Put the bag in your room. Everyday, bring a flask of hot water into your room. And stash a bowl and a fork in your room too.

Hope this will help.

I do drive but the problem is there's no way that my mum will be happy for me to go to the shops due to the risk. Even when a food delivery comes, it is very stressful for her as she's worried about getting coronavirus from the deliveryman or the packaging!
Original post by black tea
You are a 25-year-old man, living in his parents' house and eating his parents' food and you complaining?

Yes because normally I have lots of food and I am being partially starved now without warning or choice. If I had been given a few months warning of this then I would agree with you as I would have had a chance to move out.

You are allowed to go to the shops actually.
Original post by BeautifulQueen
You are allowed to go to the shops actually.

Yes but my mum is worried about the risk of catching the virus at them.
I've said this before, not that anyone noticed, but if you've got bread and water you can bake bread.
Original post by Mustafa0605
Don’t you have any friends or extended family who can do a big grocery shop for you and you pay their expenses?

Not really sadly, and even if we could do this my mum would be worried about people coming to the house and that they will have touched the packaging. It's a nightmare! My parents argue that in the war, food was rationed but I've looked it up and actually rationing allowed people to have 3000 calories a day!
how many days have been self isolating
I do drive but the problem is there's no way that my mum will be happy for me to go to the shops due to the risk. Even when a food delivery comes, it is very stressful for her as she's worried about getting coronavirus from the deliveryman or the packaging!

:frown: could you wear a mask? My Mum gets super tense to every illness she sees at work. My Dad found this strange but since the covid19 outbreak it’s gotten alright since it’s just 1 thing my mum’s talking about but:

One: She used to scream when I came back from work and demanded I remove everything except my shirt, tie and underwear in the porch, placed them in the wash and then told me to shower.
Two: My Dad still has to go into the garden after working from the hospital (20h30-21h00) and enters via the outside extension to shower. My mum cleans the shower after.

We can’t open windows or anything. She gets tense with packaging too.

Perhaps your mum is worse than mine but I think you should let her understand how people in the NHS are dealing with coming back from work after being exposed to the virus. They have families, babies, grandparents but still go outside and come back again. They have a much higher risk and don’t yet have adequate protection.

Try to convince your mum to let you wear a zip up jacket that covers your mouth or scarf that covers your mouth and nose and let you go to the shops. Make a mask out of napkins on top of this since this is what I know people are doing in Madagascar, Italy, Mauritius, France and even Canada.

I don’t know what else to suggest my good man.

Going to the shops is your only way.
Original post by karelina
I've said this before, not that anyone noticed, but if you've got bread and water you can bake bread.

But that's limited as well 😢

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending