The Student Room Group

can I get an offer below entry requirements?

Lots of courses and unis I’m interested in have entry requirements of A*AA and I would say I might be predicted AAA. can I get into these unis with these predictions?
What year are you in?
Reply 2
Original post by PetitePanda
What year are you in?

Year 12, will be applying for 2021 entry.
Original post by satsun
Year 12, will be applying for 2021 entry.

It depends on how lenient the uni is. If a uni asking for A*AA then they'll be strict. You can get a lower offer through contextual but Oxbridge doesn't do these (if it's on your list). You can get lower offers through access schemes as well but you probably will on eligible for the ones in yr 13. You can also get a lower offer if you firm then and at some unis, you can get a lower offer through EPQ. What unis do you want to apply for?
Reply 4
Original post by PetitePanda
It depends on how lenient the uni is. If a uni asking for A*AA then they'll be strict. You can get a lower offer through contextual but Oxbridge doesn't do these (if it's on your list). You can get lower offers through access schemes as well but you probably will on eligible for the ones in yr 13. You can also get a lower offer if you firm then and at some unis, you can get a lower offer through EPQ. What unis do you want to apply for?

they’re all quite competitive: Kings, UCL, Manchester
Original post by satsun
Lots of courses and unis I’m interested in have entry requirements of A*AA and I would say I might be predicted AAA. can I get into these unis with these predictions?

Yes - With thé exception COI - Also dépendent on subject. But regardless, I got predicted ABBB and applied to 4 uni’s with requirements of AAB-A*AA and got offers from all of them.
Original post by satsun
they’re all quite competitive: Kings, UCL, Manchester

Yes you can apply and you may get offers which will be the higher grades. Sometimes universities will accept you with a dropped grade and sometimes not. You also need to look at some universities who offer lower grades in case you get rejected. Perhaps apply to 2 at A*AA, 1 or 2 at AAA and 1 or 2 at AAB.
Reply 8
even if I did get predicted A*AA is there still no guarantee of getting an offer?
Original post by satsun
even if I did get predicted A*AA is there still no guarantee of getting an offer?

That is right. It all depends on how competitive the course is. Really competitive universities have many more applicants than places so they choose who to take. As an example Computer Science at Imperial has 18 applicants to 1 place. That is why you need to give yourself options. There is a sticky on here about how to avoid 5 rejections that has been written by someone who used to be an admissions tutor at Bristol. Have a read of that. There is a guy posting on here who has had 5 rejections for Computer Science with A*A*A predictions and is now looking for other optionS. There are other posts on here people having 5 rejections for Medicine and Dentistry. Just because you are predicted or achieved A*AA doesnt mean you will get offers. You need to ensure that you have a back up or preferably 2 in case of rejections.

BEng
Duration
3 years
full-time

Minimum entry
Three A-level offer: A* A* A

See full entry requirements

Applications : admissions ratio
18 : 1
Based on 2019 entry data
Reply 10
Original post by swanseajack1
That is right. It all depends on how competitive the course is. Really competitive universities have many more applicants than places so they choose who to take. As an example Computer Science at Imperial has 18 applicants to 1 place. That is why you need to give yourself options. There is a sticky on here about how to avoid 5 rejections that has been written by someone who used to be an admissions tutor at Bristol. Have a read of that. There is a guy posting on here who has had 5 rejections for Computer Science with A*A*A predictions and is now looking for other optionS. There are other posts on here people having 5 rejections for Medicine and Dentistry. Just because you are predicted or achieved A*AA doesnt mean you will get offers. You need to ensure that you have a back up or preferably 2 in case of rejections.

BEng
Duration
3 years
full-time

Minimum entry
Three A-level offer: A* A* A

See full entry requirements

Applications : admissions ratio
18 : 1
Based on 2019 entry data

thanks for this!! I have seen my course is quite competitive and I’ve seen many people on TSR who applied for it who got rejected got offered a similar but less competitive course, is this common?
Original post by satsun
thanks for this!! I have seen my course is quite competitive and I’ve seen many people on TSR who applied for it who got rejected got offered a similar but less competitive course, is this common

Yes some universities do that but it is up to you whether you accept it. I think universities use it to try and fill spaces but tell people they are better suited to that course.
here is a link to another rejection thread
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6417204
Original post by satsun

This is the sticky that I was referring to
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/apply/how-to-avoid-getting-five-university-rejections

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending