The Student Room Group

EPQ in one day?

:smile:
What are you asking? Are you asking if you can do an EPQ in one day or something else?
Reply 2
Original post by PetitePanda
What are you asking? Are you asking if you can do an EPQ in one day or something else?

yep
Original post by Suhiius
yep

No. You have to plan it, then you have to find resources and then read it then write your project and inbetween these you need to have some form of contact with your supervisor which is > 1 day.
Reply 4
This sounds very silly to me
I did it in a day a few years back
Reply 6
Original post by PetitePanda
No. You have to plan it, then you have to find resources and then read it then write your project and inbetween these you need to have some form of contact with your supervisor which is > 1 day.

ok thanks
Reply 7
Original post by gjd800
This sounds very silly to me

why
Reply 8
Original post by sherryd2001
I did it in a day a few years back

how ?
It is possible, but a very ridiculous idea.
I mean you could write your EPQ in one day if you were writing all day and had a clear plan and abundant research already

But complete the whole EPQ in one day to an a* standard? I don't think that's possible
Reply 11
Original post by Itsmepoppy
I mean you could write your EPQ in one day if you were writing all day and had a clear plan and abundant research already

But complete the whole EPQ in one day to an a* standard? I don't think that's possible

that has made my day, thanks
To get a good grade, you couldn’t do it in one day. No way. It took me from September, many hours of hard work. Plus you have to do a presentation, which would be a day in itself.
Original post by Suhiius
:smile:

In 2012/13 I wrote almost all 5000 words (topic was antibiotic resistance) over a weekend (2 all-nighters) before the deadline on the Monday at 14:00pm and got an A. However, I actually spent about 3 weeks deciding what my question should be, planning which elements of the question/ topic needed to be addressed, researching the latest scientific evidence and news about each, critically analysing each aspect and their respective arguments to evaluate what conclusions I could draw that would answer my question, then making figures and compiling references etc. Therefore, if you have an analytical writing style and have prepared all the information required to actually write it, 1-2 days is definitely possible!

I think it should be noted that what I did was quite a high-risk strategy: I only had my work proof-read properly on the day of the deadline as soon as school started, so it would have been better if I had completed it even an extra 1-2 days earlier. That way, I would have had extra room for critical feedback/ minor edits or amendments. I had already written a mock introduction (around 500 words) and shown my current plans and progress to my supervisor before commencing the all-nighters, so I knew for sure my writing style and overall direction was good enough, but the quality of the project would have been better if I wrote over a longer period of time. Moreover, I had the benefit of studying history and English literature, so my essay skills were quite suited to the project I chose, and I also knew exactly what I wanted to get out of my EPQ.

Students who cannot plan effectively or do not have strong essay writing skills should spend longer and with more support from a supervisor, so they can learn the key skills needed to do well in their project and make their masterpiece over time, rather than trying to bang it out overnight. The habit is more important than the grade.
Reply 14
Original post by davidthomasjnr
In 2012/13 I wrote almost all 5000 words (topic was antibiotic resistance) over a weekend (2 all-nighters) before the deadline on the Monday at 14:00pm and got an A. However, I actually spent about 3 weeks deciding what my question should be, planning which elements of the question/ topic needed to be addressed, researching the latest scientific evidence and news about each, critically analysing each aspect and their respective arguments to evaluate what conclusions I could draw that would answer my question, then making figures and compiling references etc. Therefore, if you have an analytical writing style and have prepared all the information required to actually write it, 1-2 days is definitely possible!

I think it should be noted that what I did was quite a high-risk strategy: I only had my work proof-read properly on the day of the deadline as soon as school started, so it would have been better if I had completed it even an extra 1-2 days earlier. That way, I would have had extra room for critical feedback/ minor edits or amendments. I had already written a mock introduction (around 500 words) and shown my current plans and progress to my supervisor before commencing the all-nighters, so I knew for sure my writing style and overall direction was good enough, but the quality of the project would have been better if I wrote over a longer period of time. Moreover, I had the benefit of studying history and English literature, so my essay skills were quite suited to the project I chose, and I also knew exactly what I wanted to get out of my EPQ.

Students who cannot plan effectively or do not have strong essay writing skills should spend longer and with more support from a supervisor, so they can learn the key skills needed to do well in their project and make their masterpiece over time, rather than trying to bang it out overnight. The habit is more important than the grade.

Same circumstance with me right now, I know what I want to get out of it, except I have a week or so left, my presentation is Tuesday. I still need to start writing it and I'm working on my log and appendices, I'm pretty nervous. I've had people harangue me and brag about how they have 60 sources, but my topic is a bit of a niche and I only managed to get about 20 out of 30 that I've extensively evaluated, I guess my only drawback is how demotivated I am - and trying to repair any inconsistencies in my gantt chart/timetable/calendars.

I don't have any drafts, but I decided to make up for it with plans. Is that OK?
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by Academicbee123
To get a good grade, you couldn’t do it in one day. No way. It took me from September, many hours of hard work. Plus you have to do a presentation, which would be a day in itself.

Presentation in a day? That's better than expected!
Original post by Suhiius
Same circumstance with me right now, I know what I want to get out of it, except I have a week or so left, my presentation is Tuesday. I still need to start writing it and I'm working on my log and appendices, I'm pretty nervous. I've had people harangue me and brag about how they have 60 sources, but my topic is a bit of a niche and I only managed to get about 20 out of 30 that I've extensively evaluated, I guess my only drawback is how demotivated I am - and trying to repair any inconsistencies in my gantt chart/timetable/calendars.

I don't have any drafts, but I decided to make up for it with plans. Is that OK?

Try to avoid being nervous and focus on writing, because it sounds like you are doing the right things! Even when I did my dissertation at uni I got 79% with 42 references...for EPQ I only used about 32-35, but they were both around 5000 words! The amount of references is not as relevant as your writing style and how you engage with the subject matter. Moreover, if you highlight in your EPQ the fact that particular topics are not extensively researched and that they could be improved by suggestions you have, you can strengthen your arguments further. E.g if there is an increased incidence of popcorn lung in those who vape compared to those who don't, I only have a casual relationship as this could be due to other factors. However, if I suggest potential methods to prove this incidence is due to vaping specifically (e.g could do a cohort study that showed comparable lifestyles but only difference was vaping compared to non-vaping and direct evidence linked vaping to popcorn lung), I would then have an argument there is a potential causal relationship, which is only limited by the lack/ quality of current evidence. So knowing and explaining the limitations of your data and how you could overcome this will increase your grade.

Plans are okay, but don't be rigid about them: adapt them according to your progress. When I wrote mine, I had the main 3-4 areas I wanted to explore, but I changed exactly what I discussed within each topic due to the quality of evidence, which helped my conclusions to be fitted around well-discussed facts which support/ refute the question (rather than just twisting facts to suit my theories).

The most important thing is that you write as much as you can, and as critically as you can. Be harsh and decide straight away if you want to proceed with an idea or scrap it, because in this day and age, you can find a lot of high quality resources on the internet. Good luck and just do your best to finish it!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending