The Student Room Group

pill and implant

hi guys,

was just wondering if anyone could give me a hand with this question,
i was put on the pill, on top of my implant to stop heavy bleeding.
after my first 3 weeks of the pill, i got my period and it was regular.
i was due to stop taking it again for my week break on sunday just gone, which i did. however, its now thursday and i still have no period and im sexually active.
i have experienced bloating this week and i had taken a pregnancy test, but it came back boldly negative.
has the pill stopped my period or could i be showing early signs of pregnancy?
could do with some advice to put my mind at rest haha!
thanks xx
If your Implant is in and in date, you are covered for pregnancy. The pill is not for contraception in your case, it is for bleeding management.
How long have you had the implant? Bleeding can be irregular with the Implant due to the hormone it uses. Health professionals should advise a "settling in period" of up to 6 months before establishing what the effect on bleeding will be
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by LittleABC
If your Implant is in and in date, you are covered for pregnancy. The pill is not for contraception in your case, it is for bleeding management.
How long have you had the implant? Bleeding can be irregular with the Implant due to the hormone it uses. Health professionals should advise a "settling in period" of up to 6 months before establishing what the effect on bleeding will be

ive had the implant coming up 2 years in july. my period has always been irregular on it hense why i seeked getting the pill on top of it.
so the chances of pregnancy is low? i just dont understand why it came perfectly on time last month and now so late.
thsnk you for your response!
Original post by edensmith
ive had the implant coming up 2 years in july. my period has always been irregular on it hense why i seeked getting the pill on top of it.
so the chances of pregnancy is low? i just dont understand why it came perfectly on time last month and now so late.
thsnk you for your response!

If your implant is still in and still in date, you're fine. They are a really effective method of contraception.
If you forgot the pill, you're still protected against pregnancy as you have the implant.
How long have you been taking the pill for bleeding? Has bleeding been heavy throughout the duration of the implant?
If you choose to get a new implant at 3 years, please remember your next experience may be completely different. The same woman can have three implants in a row and have a completely different experience with every single one.
Reply 4
Original post by LittleABC
If your implant is still in and still in date, you're fine. They are a really effective method of contraception.
If you forgot the pill, you're still protected against pregnancy as you have the implant.
How long have you been taking the pill for bleeding? Has bleeding been heavy throughout the duration of the implant?
If you choose to get a new implant at 3 years, please remember your next experience may be completely different. The same woman can have three implants in a row and have a completely different experience with every single one.

i was given 12 weeks worth of pills. i have 3 weeks left on it before i go back to the doctors to see my progress. Yeah, was bleeding heavy every single day since i had it. im just glad it works haha!
You are using 2 very effective methods of contraception - your chances of being pregnant are almost non-existent.

Quick Reply

Latest